• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this V Gap acceptable?

george325

Reaction score
Hi all- I purchased a new pair of AE strands in size 10 E. I usually wear a 10.5 D however when I first tried 10.5 D in the Strands, the V Gap was too wide for my preferences. Now I’ve sized down and went wider as some recommend to 10E. I’m wondering whether I need to go to EE based on the current gap or if it’ll close over time. The first few eyelets look good in my opinion but start to spread toward the top.

Attachments

• 0A57D1B6-774B-47DB-8C54-E17C61DC1259.jpeg
    0A57D1B6-774B-47DB-8C54-E17C61DC1259.jpeg
    513.7 KB · Views: 442

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
Hi all- I purchased a new pair of AE strands in size 10 E. I usually wear a 10.5 D however when I first tried 10.5 D in the Strands, the V Gap was too wide for my preferences. Now I’ve sized down and went wider as some recommend to 10E. I’m wondering whether I need to go to EE based on the current gap or if it’ll close over time. The first few eyelets look good in my opinion but start to spread toward the top.

No expert on this stuff, but the V often has more to do with your instep than your size. Some people will have this V even in very well fitting shoes. The best way to tell if a shoe fits is to tell if its fits. It should start out fairly snug, but not uncomfortably so. I can be more specific if you like.

That being said, the V should close some with time, because most shoes stretch some over time.

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks perfectly fine, not sure if you posted it in the Allen Edmonds thread, but this is about the norm you will see there, as others have mentioned switch to bar lacing and this will look better, if they are new they should loosen a bit over time and it will close more, which will be about perfect, if it was any closer and the shoes stretched you would potentially be over lapping rather than a subtle V

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wait, it's not about cleavage?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Some say the V is supposed to close. Others like a bit of space. I once commissioned a pair of bespoke shoes from Nicholas Templeman. They were split toe derbies and he recommended that the shoes be made with a bit of space between the facings so they would look coherent with the rest of the design.

I think online, this has devolved into a rule ("the V should close") because no one can assess what's going on inside the shoes. As others have noted above, I think it's more important to pay attention to how the shoes feel.

Bar lacing is good for oxfords. I use criss-cross lacing for some derbies. Depends on the shoe.

If you're very finicky about it, I think oxfords look better when the facings fully close. I think it matches the style of the shoe. But this can be hard to achieve in ready to wear, and it's realistically not that big of a detail.

Before you decide to keep those shoes, for what it's worth, I think tan oxfords like that are hard to wear, and especially in Allen Edmonds walnut color. I would personally reconsider and get a darker color.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrandonEM