• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this restaurant policy unusual?

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I had this happen to me at an all-you-can eat sushi buffet place. They had this little tiny sign that said 3EUR for every piece of sushi you take but don't eat. I didnt see that until after them meal though so I was eating the fish and about 1/3 of the rice that came with each piece (so I could eat wayyyy more fish obviously). So by the end of the meal I had an plate with an entire mountain of rice on it lol. They were pissed. I told them I wasn't going to pay 20 extra euros for rice that cost them like 7 cents. This was in Germany BTW. In the end I didn't pay the extra money.

This is what I'm saying. It makes no sense. If one wants to exploit it, one always can.
How about dropping the dish on the ground? Are you forced to order a new one? :lol:

Last edited:

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
They do it in Korea quite often, not at buffet restaurants since there aren't many of those (or I haven't been i guess), but at places with banchan self-service - they'll charge you an 'environmental fee' if you don't eat what you take.. not the actual price (since that stuff that is free anyway) but a flat cleanup fee, which does make a little sense since trash cleanup here is expensive (we pre-pay using official bags, and they're like 20 cents to $1 depending on size, none are very big at all) and food costs are incredibly high, especially for vegetables. You guys are joking around how a bowl of rice costs 7 cents over there, but a little 1kg bag of rice in Korea costs about $15.

... and what's up with you dudes and sushi buffets? :confused:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

I had this happen to me at an all-you-can eat sushi buffet place. They had this little tiny sign that said 3EUR for every piece of sushi you take but don't eat. I didnt see that until after them meal though so I was eating the fish and about 1/3 of the rice that came with each piece (so I could eat wayyyy more fish obviously). So by the end of the meal I had an plate with an entire mountain of rice on it lol. They were pissed. I told them I wasn't going to pay 20 extra euros for rice that cost them like 7 cents. This was in Germany BTW. In the end I didn't pay the extra money.

I was once at a sushi place that had all you can eat but specified you had to eat the rice.

Btw, if I was running that palce, I would have called the police on you.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
on a side note, does anyone see the oxymoron that is 'all you can eat' and 'sushi'?

It was always intended as this like fine precise art form, coming from a master, and by virtue of it's raw state implied that it's only of the best quality. and North America has reduced it to a buffet experience. I probably don't even know what real sushi tastes like.

Unless someone's going to tell me that sushi 20-30 years ago was as common and low quality as it is now. I had always just done properly or not done at all.

Septavius

Reaction score
My sister was at a sushi place in Florida that did this (pay for the items you don't eat).

I was at a place in Chicago once that let you have all you wanted for one price, but limited how many you could order at one time. Pretty smart on their part I'd say, since you'd tend to get fuller as you waited.

Last edited:

Gordon Gekko

Reaction score
That doesn't even make any sense. If you paid once, that means you paid for whatever you receive already. How can they charge you extra for what's not eaten?

Last edited:

blackjack

Reaction score
Here are two articles about a Japanese restaurant in Australia, WAFU http://wafu.com.au/ - along with a detailed explanation on the chef/proprietor's philosophy. I liked the line: "Customers who refused to obey Yukako Ichikawa's rules are directed to her ex-husband's restaurant. " :lol:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/06/04/us-restaurant-rules-idUSTRE65318220100604

Restaurant tells diners to eat up or be fined and leave
Fri, Jun 4 2010
SYDNEY (Reuters Life!)
- An Australian restaurateur fed up with the waste left by diners has ordered her customers to eat everything on their plates for their sake of the earth or pay a penalty and not return.

Chef Yukako Ichikawa has introduced a 30 percent discount for diners who eat all the food they have ordered at Wafu, her 30-seat restaurant in the Sydney suburb of Surry Hills, that describes itself as "guilty free Japanese cuisine."

"To contribute toward creating a sustainable future we request a little more of our guests than most other restaurants," she says in a list of her restaurant's policies that is pinned on the door to the eatery.

This list includes finishing all dishes ordered which are organic and free of gluten, dairy, sugar and eggs and the chef and her staff tell people who don't clear their plates to choose another restaurant next time.

"Finishing your meal requires that everything is eaten except lemon slices, gari (sushi ginger) and wasabi," says the menu.

"Please also note that vegetables and salad on the side are NOT decorations; they are part of the meal too."

Wafu's strict policy has been welcomed by some but criticized as overbearing by some reviewers. Ichikawa is undeterred.

"Wafu is not just a restaurant; it is an extension of Yukako's personal ethos toward nourishment and sustenance," says a statement on the restaurant's website.

"We are not only committed to serving meals that nurture and respect the body but are actively dedicated to the notion of waste prevention, and take seriously our responsibility toward the environment and sustainability for the future."

(Writing by Belinda Goldsmith, Editing by Michael Perry)

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment...ron-chef-will-make-you-pay-20100507-ujo6.html

This real iron chef will make you pay
Debra Jopso May 8, 2010

Customers who refused to obey Yukako Ichikawa's rules are directed to her ex-husband's restaurant. Photo: Marco Del Grande

CHEF Yukako Ichikawa cooked up a radical solution to food waste after a favourable newspaper review brought too many of the wrong kinds of diners to her restaurant door.

''They are picky eaters. I do not want to make food for these people,'' said Ichikawa, 42, who turns away customers not in tune with her homespun philosophy of eating, which partly derives from her horror about a world where people die from hunger.

Six weeks ago, at Wafu, her 30-seat restaurant in Surry Hills, she began offering a 30 per cent discount to patrons who ate all the food they had ordered.

She and her staff tell diners that if they do not leave clean plates, they will not be welcome back. ''Finishing your meal requires that everything is eaten except lemon slices, gari (sushi ginger) and wasabi,'' says the menu, which is tagged ''guilty-free Japanese food''.

''Please also note that vegetables and salad on the side are NOT decorations; they are part of the meal too,'' it says.

Launching a campaign this week, the NSW Environment Minister, Frank Sartor, deplored the 800,000 tonnes of food waste generated annually in the state's households, on top of 300,000 tonnes dumped by businesses.

But before the government began telling everyone to eat all their greens, activists were working out ways to reduce restaurant food garbage.
''Freegans'' or vegans dedicated to obtaining leftover food free, devised internet guides to ''dumpster diving'' at shops and restaurants, with one couple donning formal gear for a video send-up of TV food shows. They spawned meat-eating versions- ''meagans''.

Meat-loving chefs have joined the ''nose-to-tail'' movement designed to use all parts of a slaughtered beast.

The chef at Paddington's Four in Hand, Colin Fassnidge, offers pig's ear schnitzel and a veal dish of cheek, fillet, bone marrow and tongue, which is mostly ordered by men because, as he says, it is ''like caveman food''.

Chefs hated wasting food, said Roni Kahn, the founding director of OzHarvest, which collects surplus food from hotels and restaurants to feed the needy.
But none has gone as far as Ichikawa. ''It is her lone stance,'' Ms Kahn said. ''She is pretty brave, because being as dictatorial as she is - and she is certainly pretty dogmatic about how she runs her business - she is going to alienate people,'' she said.

Those buying her takeaway food, which is organic and free of gluten, dairy, sugar and eggs, must bring their own containers.
Each week she fills with waste a bin smaller than a kitchen tidy. Previously even two people struggled to carry out the rubbish.

This year, she nearly closed her restaurant after wasteful types made her ''sick of people'' who were not her regulars. ''If I didn't know them, I didn't want to take them,'' she said.

But friends persuaded her instead to impose rules and, after a visit to a solicitor, she pinned her policy to her front door. It exhorts diners to share meals, to thank the earth while eating and to be mindful of the amount they order.

When Ichikawa feels ''negative'', she sends customers around the corner to her former husband's eatery, Matsuri, because she believes she transmits her negativity to the food.

Her toughness has inspired some bad reviews. One, on the eatability website, said that three people were sent outside to read the policy and then rudely sent away.

Another took exception to ''an aggressive, badly communicated lecture'' about left lettuce leaves, despite the diners having brought their own takeaway container.

''This was after we'd ploughed through the biggest plate of green beans ever seen,'' lamented the writer.

Visiting as an anonymous diner, your Herald correspondent left the plate clean, which won smiles from Ichikawa and an invitation to join her 300 ''members''.

''Sometimes it is funny because even adults, when they are completely finished, they are proud,'' she said.

Rather than arguing, those failing to finish tended to apologise and pay the extra, she said.

Eastwood engineer Mellissa Vaby eats at Wafu monthly with her husband Fred Hardtke and their seven-year-old son, Gabriel, who has a serious nut allergy.

''I don't think she is being rude,'' she said. ''She is laying out her philosophy and methodology.

''She comes right up at the start and says: 'This is what my restaurant is'.

''If you don't appreciate those philosophies, if you don't appreciate whole food and sharing, and you condone wastage, you should go somewhere else. There are plenty of options in Sydney.''

Last edited:

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
seems to make more sense than the preposterous concept of restaurants supplying twice the quantity of food that anyone could eat.

and thereby making restaurants who serve normal sized meals seem stingy.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So it's ecological and sustainable to eat more than one wants to and get fatter and fatter. Clever. Burning it for energy will be more helpful than getting sick because one becomes too fat imo. They can also donate the leftovers, there are people willing to eat it.
I'd rather introduce a voluntary fee that is donated.
Maybe these restaurants should begin to scan the customer's empty stomach volume when entering, let them fill out a form to evaluate the maximum amount of food they can eat and therefore adjust the size of the portion.

I do not think the idea of reducing food leftovers is wrong - we certainly have to work on that, not only concerning restaurants -, I just think the way they do it by forcing people to eat something is not the right way.

Last edited:

Ty_Webb

Reaction score
The point of it isn't to force you to eat more than you want to. The point is to make sure that you order the right amount of food in the first place. Why do people assume that all you can eat means ordering way more than you want and then leaving a pile of it behind?

blackjack

Reaction score
It seems like the chef at Wafu is a bit of a dictator and has turned her restaurant, Wafu, into a members-only club. This CNN report refers to her as the 'sushi Nazi'.

http://www.cnngo.com/sydney/eat/wafu-sydney-829661

Sydney's Wafu 'sushi nazi' serves diners a raw deal
Fed up with diners not finishing their food, this Surry Hills restaurant denies entry to new customers. And us

By Janine Israel 31 March, 2011

It’s the most exclusive restaurant in Sydney. While a meal won’t set you back much more than $30, only an elite few are privy to its organic, home-style Japanese fare.

If you’re not already a “member” of Wafu restaurant in Surry Hills, or if chef Yukako Ichikawa is not in a conciliatory mood or doesn’t like the look of you, then forget it. Say “sayonara” and take your appetite around the corner to Matsuri -- her ex-husband’s restaurant with a far more embracing door policy.

Sydney’s “sushi Nazi” established her formidable reputation a year ago. Fed up with the excessive food waste generated by picky or non-hungry diners, she began offering a 30-percent discount to those who finished their meals.

She then offered “membership” to customers who polished off everything on their plates (lemon slices, gari and wasabi excluded). Those who failed to finish their food were told not to return.

A year on, it seems Wafu’s “policies” -- displayed on the Cleveland Street restaurant’s front window and pictured below -- have become even more authoritarian.

When I visited Sydney's Wafu recently for dinner, despite there being only five customers in the 30-seat restaurant, a large sign on the door stated, “Do not come in!!! Wafu club members only!”

How to get in

Becoming a member at Wafu is no easy feat.

First-timers are advised to turn up with an existing member. Even then, service is not guaranteed.

Two females were turned away by a flustered Ichikawa because one of the women had forgotten her membership number.

For those without friends in high places, getting a seat is even trickier.

The policy on Wafu’s website advises that if you come as “only two people” you might get served.
First-time patrons are also advised to arrive “hungry, as Wafu is a place to eat –- it is not a café to simply chitchat.” Also, to bring “a sturdy reusable container” to take home any leftovers.

First-timers are advised to turn up with an existing member. Even then, service is not guaranteed.

Trying our luck

Despite not being a member, I had adhered to all the rules -- we arrived with just one other person, a raging appetite and a suitable plastic container.

So we decided to try our luck.

First, we asked one of the five diners if she could pretend she was our friend.

She refused, saying that lying could jeopardize her membership and her reputation as a good, compliant customer. She suggested, however, we ask Ichikawa about her cooking classes as a way of breaking the ice.

Heeding her advice, we waited at the counter until Ichikawa acknowledged our presence.

“I’m interested in your Sunday cooking classes,” I nervously explained.

Ichikawa’s face lit up. “Send me an email,” she replied courteously.

“And I’d really love to eat here as well,” I added hopefully. Perhaps a little too desperately.

Ichikawa’s smile dropped and her voice rose.

“At the moment I can’t take any more members. I can’t waste any more of my time explaining my policy," she said.

And with that, we left, walking dejectedly around the corner to her ex-husband’s restaurant on Crown Street.

The place was packed, thanks to the steady stream of Wafu refugees -- including those two ousted females lacking a membership number -- who were busy drowning their rejection in bowls of steaming miso soup.

getting there

Wafu
460 Cleveland St.
Surry Hills NSW 2010
tel. +61 (0)2 9319 1880
http://wafu.com.au

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What the ****?

dacox

Reaction score
Sounds like a discrimination lawsuit waiting to happen. She needs to close her restaurant, teach cooking classes or whatever she does, and host dinner parties for her friends since it seems like that's all she's interested in doing anyway.

I like the 30% discount for people who finish their meals. That's much better than trying to figure out how much extra to charge people who don't finish. Having to carry around and bring in your own containers to take home any uneaten/half-eaten food is marsupialed though.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Sounds like a discrimination lawsuit waiting to happen. She needs to close her restaurant, teach cooking classes or whatever she does, and host dinner parties for her friends since it seems like that's all she's interested in doing anyway.

I like the 30% discount for people who finish their meals. That's much better than trying to figure out how much extra to charge people who don't finish. Having to carry around and bring in your own containers to take home any uneaten/half-eaten food is marsupialed though.

I think she's awesome. I bet she has some kinky neo-hippy latex and leather fetishes at home too, total sadist.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerafenupdate