• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this messenger bag SF approved?

Last Year's Man

Reaction score
well IMO the first one isn't as hideous as everyone's making out, though i'm sort of with them on the second. Personally, if I was spending that kind of cash on a bag I'd get something a bit more timeless and classically styled like a proper briefcase.

Unless you are actually a messenger, in which case don't even think about buying either of those.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Messenger bags mess up the shoulders of jackets, and they are hell on your posture.

A guy coming down the street with a heavy shoulder bag stoops along like Quasimodo.

A light messenger bag looks like a purse.

Best idea is carrying as little as possible. Briefcase for work, backpack if camping.

Geoff Gander

Reaction score
donotwant.jpg

Sazerac

Reaction score
Messenger bags are intrinsically less practical than a briefcase because they lack the carrying handles, or place one merely vestigial handle along the back in an awkward position.

Also, it's easy to dress down most briefcases, but it's impossible to dress up a messenger bag. With a suit messenger bags broadcast, "check me out, I'm a junior account executive!" They fall into the same category as wearing a ski parka over a suit.

Briefcases are wonderfully diverse. You don't need to choose a stodgy one.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sazerac
Messenger bags are intrinsically less practical than a briefcase because they lack the carrying handles, or place one merely vestigial handle along the back in an awkward position. Also, it's easy to dress down most briefcases, but it's impossible to dress up a messenger bag. With a suit messenger bags broadcast, "check me out, I'm a junior account executive!" They fall into the same category as wearing a ski parka over a suit. Briefcases are wonderfully diverse. You don't need to choose a stodgy one.
I have never seen a non-stodgy briefcase. Can you point me in the right direction? I'm definitely avoiding the messenger bag thing now...like the plague! FYI--I basically carry around a macbook air and if paper mills are lucky a notepad.

Sazerac

Reaction score
Look at Jack Spade. Some of them are very casual. I've never owned a Jack Spade, though, so don't know about the quality. Does anyone vouch for them? Here's one. Not my favorite, but you get the idea.
1329898-p-DETAILED.jpg
http://www.zappos.com/product/7725603/color/316 At the risk of sounding like an SF cliche, you can always look at Filson. Insanely durable, pretty casual. Lots of guys here carry them with suits, but to me they're too casual for that. EDIT: Here's another Jack Spade I like more.
1329914-p-DETAILED.jpg

bcgrija

Reaction score
I picked up this bag when I was in Florence last semester studying abroad. I wanted something that looked professional and timeless that also could be carried by a 21 year old college student.

I ended up deciding on this bag, handmade 2 buckle brief case with suede lining and all brass metalwork. I think this will last a lifetime and only look better and better. It also only ended up costing me about $350.

Pictures:

Front:

3a2a7d13.jpg

Side:

1d0fdfb8.jpg

Inside:

0392c1e7.jpg

Sorry for the glare, the lighting is terrible in my room and I needed to use the flash on my phone. Hope this helps.

CruzAzul

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Way to kill the thread, son. You sure the carpet's red enough and the flash is bright enough? My f**kin' EYES...

bcgrija

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Unrefinery
Way to kill the thread, son. You sure the carpet's red enough and the flash is bright enough? My f**kin' EYES...

It's not like I already noted that or anything. I can't help what old age is doing to your eyes.

CruzAzul

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bcgrija
It's not like I already noted that or anything. I can't help what old age is doing to your eyes.

Oh man, it hurts because it's true -- the years go by, but ugly photos never stop looking ugly to me. Well, while I can't suddenly choose to not be in my 30s, you can always choose not to live in a filthy garish craphole, buy your luggage at TJ Maxx, take pictures of it with a terrible cell phone camera, post them when you don't know how to resize them, get all butthurt whenever someone pokes a little fun at you for doing so, etc.

Anyway, welcome to the forum.
smile.gif

Sazerac

Reaction score
I think Bcgrija's bag strikes the right balance between formal and casual. I'd be hard pressed to think of a setting where it wouldn't be appropriate. White shoe law firm, maybe not -- but everywhere else this bag is fine. In fact, the more formal the setting, the more rugged and manly it looks while still being appropriate.

And the leather looks very supple.

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Check out Custom Hide. I'm planning on picking one up this spring.

bcgrija

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Unrefinery
Oh man, it hurts because it's true -- the years go by, but ugly photos never stop looking ugly to me. Well, while I can't suddenly choose to not be in my 30s, you can always choose not to live in a filthy garish craphole, buy your luggage at TJ Maxx, take pictures of it with a terrible cell phone camera, post them when you don't know how to resize them, get all butthurt whenever someone pokes a little fun at you for doing so, etc.

Anyway, welcome to the forum.
smile.gif

Haha, despite your hyperbolic statement, there's nothing I can do about an obvious troll trying to get a rise out of me. I could point out your constant flaws but I suppose that's your point. Xoxo ^_^.

Originally Posted by Sazerac
I think Bcgrija's bag strikes the right balance between formal and casual. I'd be hard pressed to think of a setting where it wouldn't be appropriate. White shoe law firm, maybe not -- but everywhere else this bag is fine. In fact, the more formal the setting, the more rugged and manly it looks while still being appropriate.

And the leather looks very supple.

Thanks Saz, I thought a similar thing about the bag. I will be a professor at a university if all goes well, so I knew the bag will be something I can use for the years to come.

The leather is butter soft, I wish I could get better pictures but I figured my iPhone pictures would suffice for now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads