• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this gray suit appropriate for my needs?

wvcaudill2

Reaction score
Hey all, I am going to be giving a presentation within the next few days to an auditorium full of my superiors, from managers all the way up to my company's CEO. I would like to know if this suit is appropriate for the occasion. For reference, most in the room will be engineers, including myself, with a few finance and HR people sprinkled in.

Please don't comment on the quality or style. I am just looking for a general consensus on whether the color is appropriate and possibly what tie to wear with it. I've heard that brown shoes can be worn with gray. Do the shoes shown work? Usually I just wear black.

I am only 21, so I don't have the ability to purchase a $2000 suit, so no purchase recommendations please, just advice on if this suit is suitable :p

Thanks!

I should mention that I have a solid black suit that I could wear, but I hate wearing it unless im going to a funeral or something.

Last edited:

Makoto Chan

Reaction score
Not bad. The shoes only barely pass, in a pinch. If you have black shoes you should wear em.

thegreatgatsby

Reaction score
The suit - and shoes - are both completely acceptable. I would not wear black shoes.

Much more importantly - however - is whether the suit fits you well.

Could you post a "fit pic?"

If the jacket's collar rides up in the back; if the shoulders are bunched up or you're squeezed into them and divots form; and if the rise in your pants is wrong - and, in general - the silhouette of the leg, and the waist are poorly fitted to your body - then these are the kinds of things that will be remembered from your presentation.

Also - what kind of day-long, auditorium-filled presentation are you giving at 21? {to CEOs, finance guys and engineers???}

Last edited:

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The color of the suit is perfectly fine. I much prefer black shoes for any sort of formal business presentation to brown, but what you have will do in a pinch.

Makoto Chan

Reaction score

The suit - and shoes - are both completely acceptable. I would not wear black shoes.

Could you explain that? I don't understand why someone wouldn't black shoes with their grey suit for a presentation to all of one's managers, including the CEO. This is exactly when one should wear black shoes...

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Could you explain that? I don't understand why someone wouldn't black shoes with their grey suit for a presentation to all of one's managers, including the CEO. This is exactly when one should wear black shoes...

+1.

thegreatgatsby

Reaction score
+ 0

http://www.gq.com/style/style-guy/suiting/200512/brown-shoes-belt-gray --- an ironic link

I think some SF posters make some great arguments for brown shoes in this older thread:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/249752/black-or-brown-with-grey-suit

+ even more evidence from Ask Andy: http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/...14776-Coordinating-shoe-color-with-suit-color

This is a medium grey suit gents - not a dark charcoal one

Again - you're all way too hung up on brown or black shoes (not sure why), when the thread starter hasn't even addressed the "fit" issue that I raised.

The common sense corner posits: So, let's say he pairs the gray suit with the black shoes, but the suit is not well tailored, the break in the pants is all wrong, and he swimming in the jacket sleeves?

At that point: will the shoes really matter at all?

Last edited:

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+ 0

http://www.gq.com/style/style-guy/suiting/200512/brown-shoes-belt-gray --- an ironic link

I think some SF posters make some great arguments for brown shoes in this older thread:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/249752/black-or-brown-with-grey-suit

This is a medium grey suit gents - not a dark charcoal one

Again - you're all way too hung up on brown or black shoes (not sure why), when the thread starter hasn't even addressed the "fit" issue that I raised.

Quite frankly - that's really all that matters at this point.

And in that thread, some make good arguments for black shoes too. The thread in question does not discuss what shoes should be worn for a formal presentation which presumably calls for more conservative dress (and where some brown shoes devotees may even change their vote). Actually, both things you cite say either black or brown work. Neither is focused on the actual question asked by the OP and neither supports your view that you would not wear black shoes. You are entitled to your general preference and many here may agree with you, but a general preference does not work in all cases. I like brown shoes a lot personally, but tend to err towards black when I need to be conservatively attired for something like what the OP is describing.

Considering the fact that the OP is not going to be able to buy a new suit for this presentation and has clearly said so, I am not exactly shocked that the others responding to his post have focused on the broad color issues. Fit pictures may be useful in the long run, but if the suit doesn't fit, I don't see a lot of value in a bunch of people telling him he's going to look bad before his presentation and potentially undermining confidence. Attitude often matters more than clothes for these things.

thegreatgatsby

Reaction score

And in that thread, some make good arguments for black shoes too. The thread in question does not discuss what shoes should be worn for a formal presentation which presumably calls for more conservative dress (and where some brown shoes devotees may even change their vote). Actually, both things you cite say either black or brown work. Neither is focused on the actual question asked by the OP and neither supports your view that you would not wear black shoes. You are entitled to your general preference and many here may agree with you, but a general preference does not work in all cases. I like brown shoes a lot personally, but tend to err towards black when I need to be conservatively attired for something like what the OP is describing.

Considering the fact that the OP is not going to be able to buy a new suit for this presentation and has clearly said so, I am not exactly shocked that the others responding to his post have focused on the broad color issues. Fit pictures may be useful in the long run, but if the suit doesn't fit, I don't see a lot of value in a bunch of people telling him he's going to look bad before his presentation and potentially undermining confidence. Attitude often matters more than clothes for these things.

The practical point is - if the suit doesn't fit - he can get himself to a tailor, no?

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The practical point is - if the suit doesn't fit - he can get himself to a tailor, no?

For some things, yeah, fair enough (assuming the pictures are good and a tailor can get the alterations done ASAP given his time period - that was my source of concern); for others, he'll be SOL. You're not wrong to suggest fit pictures, but given the timeframe I'm just not sure how much he can do with any advice he gets.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Its OK but with that audience style does have a bearing. The pocket flaps suggest that it is hideously modern.

Last edited:

CTLION

Reaction score
Gray is appropriate, but I agree that fit is as important if not more important than your choice of color. I don't care if it's a $150 suit or a $5000 suit, if it doesn't fit right it will look terrible on you.

The key areas to look at..

Shoulders (most people wear suits too big in the shoulders) this effects how the jacket drapes on your back as well.

Around the chest: once again wearing a suit too big makes it look like you are heavier than you are. I call it the, "I am wearing my dad's clothes look."

Waist: for obvious reasons...too big and it looks terrible, too small and you can't breathe

Length of sleeves and trousers: Both are important because they make the suit look professional...a little bit of shirt cuff and if your pants are too long you just look sloppy.

I am not a small nor fat person...6'1" and 205 pounds. My point is this, whether you are skinny, average or obese fit is everything. When you wear a suit you should always aim to look your best.

My advise for those who don't wear a suit everyday...before the occasion take the suit to a tailor and try it on. Then ask the tailor what if anything needs to be done.

gsugsu

Reaction score

+1.

^This. The OP asked about appropriateness of suit colour and shoes, not about fit. It was answered well above. The threads referenced to support brown over black also support the notion that in formal circumstances, black may indeed be more appropriate and that even proponents of brown shoes might support that notion.

Providing general, surface knowledge suit fit advice in the absence of fit pics accomplishes very little.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suit works. Black shoes more appropriate.

Try solid white shirt with solid gray tie if you have one.

Light blue shirts if open collar.

No pocket squares unless you work for that large SaaS company.

wvcaudill2

Reaction score
Sorry I should have addressed this. I have had the suit tailored. I will post fit pics if I get time. At present I am more concerned with preparing for my presentation.

Thanks for all the feedback so far!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads