• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this a possible conflict of interest in the workplace?

Frank Rizzo

Reaction score
Just wondered if anyone would like chime on this.

I have a part-time sales job (retail) and the manager of the dept I work in hired someone who he has had a long-standing friendship with. In fact, the hiree used to babysit him when he was a kid (they grew up on the same block).

Does a history like that possibly interfere with the manager's responsibility to be objective in a supervisory role?

I get along with both of them well enough. We certainly need the help right now. But if I were in either one of their positions, I wouldn't be comfortable. And that's not to say that I haven't developed friendships at the workplace. I have. But I've never had a friendship with someone in the workplace before the workplace.

I guess if the company doesn't have a problem with it and they don't have a policy against it, it's not an issue. I have a personal policy against it myself because I'd rather not mix business with personal if I can. Maybe I'm too uptight though.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Its the way the world works.

Better accept it now and start using it to your advantage

K

Originally Posted by Frank Rizzo
Just wondered if anyone would like chime on this.

I have a part-time sales job (retail) and the manager of the dept I work in hired someone who he has had a long-standing friendship with. In fact, the hiree used to babysit him when he was a kid (they grew up on the same block).

Does a history like that possibly interfere with the manager's responsibility to be objective in a supervisory role?

I get along with both of them well enough. We certainly need the help right now. But if I were in either one of their positions, I wouldn't be comfortable. And that's not to say that I haven't developed friendships at the workplace. I have. But I've never had a friendship with someone in the workplace before the workplace.

I guess if the company doesn't have a problem with it and they don't have a policy against it, it's not an issue. I have a personal policy against it myself because I'd rather not mix business with personal if I can. Maybe I'm too uptight though.

Frank Rizzo

Reaction score
That's a pretty remarkable analysis. Thank you.
smile.gif

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is quite common especially for top tier jobs. And this has been a practice since Napoleon to Kennedy to the Bush family. While your example is less extreme, it's not unusual for management to hire familiar faces to work with them. As the saying goes, it's better to deal with the devil you know than one you don't. Let me ask you this: are you in a position to change this type of behavior in your work place? If not, then just deal with it and befriend the right people. No friendship is permanent but temporary alliance can be long lasting if you play your cards right.

Frank Rizzo

Reaction score
I get along with the new guy alright and we need the help right now. So in that sense, I'm glad that he is on board.

On the other hand, it might become a problem if their friendship starts to award special privileges, hours, and latitude. As with any job, there's tasks that people don't want to do but have to. I know I look for every reason I can find to avoid certain things and if I had a close friend in charge I might be tempted to take liberties with certain things like that and not do them.

And I'm acutely aware of how prevalent this is in the real world, it's just really awkward for me to see it in this environment which is usually very strict and where there are clear rules about what is and isn't acceptable. They'll tell you upfront that sexual relationships with superiors/subordinates isn't allowed nor is family working together. This is more of a grey area.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
I'd say it's not a conflict of interest until there's any real conflict. Give it time. If the hiree does start to get those things you mentioned (special treatment, hours, pay, latitude) then bring it up. But don't make a fuss over it yet; it could be absolutely nothing. Some people can turn on the professional like a faucet and not let whatever is going on between then outside of their work in at all. So I'd say give it a chance and see if their relationship is such that they can work together professionally before I'd bring it up to anyone else.

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VKK3450

K

+1

Also, theres no problem if both sides are ok with it and if it doesn't affect either's performance.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
seems like a pretty basic question no offence. this is the real world, this happens all the time and is why many people are where they are. ive gotten many jobs by knowing someone, family friend etc. and im sure most people here have aswell. its very cliche but moving up and becoming successful many times does have to do with who you know.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VKK3450

K

Boy ain't that the truth.

When it works, it works well, since shared background generally leads to trust or at least preparedness to deal with weaknesses.

When one party takes advantage of the other, it blows up spectacularly, and you get ringside seats!
fight[1].gif
smack.gif
lurker[1].gif

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is a possible conflict of interest, but what can you possibly do about it? Institute a ban on hiring anyone you know? That rules out tons of candidates. Most companies like employees to refer their friends and acquaintances for jobs, some are giving out bonuses for doing it.

It's a conflict of interest, but about the smallest possible kind. Really there's nothing you can do about it. Even if this guy does start to get preferential treatment, you may not be able to do much about it. When I worked in retail during high-school, managers seemed to run their stores like little fifedoms, and pretty much did what they wanted.

If it comes to the point where you're really getting shorted because this guy gets all the special treatment, your options would probably be either complain to your manager's manager, or quit.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
That's a pretty remarkable analysis. Thank you.
smile.gif

Well, that's really it. It's not that complicated, although you can try to make it so.

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...their friendship starts to award special privileges, hours, and latitude...
From my experience, this is common in the work place. I would try to not notice or mention it and take no position regarding it.

Suits You Sir!

Reaction score
Never hire friends, never mix business with pleasure, IMO. At least not if that pleasure existed outside of the work environment first. Seen it go pear-shaped many times. Experienced it first-hand too.

Our work and personal relationships went the same way; **** up. I think he's a complete ass now. He probably thinks the same about me.

penguin vic

Reaction score

No, not really. Do you see the conflict as follows?
  • The manager has a duty to act in the best interests of the company.
  • The manager's interest in hiring his friend somehow conflicts with this duty to look after the interests of the company.
In the face of nothing else I'd say that concluding that there's a conflict of interest involves making huge assumptions.

I don't think you understand what a conflict of interest is.

I guess if the company doesn't have a problem with it and they don't have a policy against it, it's not an issue.

Why would a company have a policy against it? Such a policy would rely on the assumption that a person would only hire a friend because they are a friend. What if your manager knows that his friend is a top notch salesman?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads