• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this a bad ending to a Phone Interview?

PA37

Reaction score
I had a phone Interview the wednesday before the Thanksgiving week which lasted about 20 minutes and after it was over I asked about 5 questions. My final question was "what's the next step in the hiring process?"

The HR lady said..."well since next week is the holiday week we plan to make calls the week of december 2nd for face to face interviews" And she asked me...."Do you have my number?"

Now this was only my 2nd phone interview in my life and was wondering does a successful phone interview mean having a scheduled face to face interview date before you get off the phone?

Thanks

Last edited:

austinite

Reaction score

I had a phone Interview the wednesday before the Thanksgiving week which lasted about 20 minutes and after it was over I asked about 5 questions.     My final question was "what's the next step in the hiring process?"

The HR lady said..."well since next week is the holiday week we plan to make calls the week of december 2nd for face to face interviews"      And she asked me...."Do you have my number?"

Now this was only my 2nd phone interview in my life and was wondering does a successful phone interview mean having a scheduled face to face interview date before you get off the phone?

Thanks

No, not necessarily. It's not abnormal for them to make all of their phone interviews, evaluate them, and then decide who to bring in person. I would say that a large company with a very formal hiring process (ie: lots of HR people) would be more likely to handle it that way.

PA37

Reaction score
Ok thanks

It's just that I have no income and trying to hurry up and get some money coming in before Christmas. The sad reality is that it's only one opening which means chances are slim for me to get this job.

A baby boomer recently told me that 30 years ago it was no such thing as a company looking to fill one position which is why it was easy to get a job back in the 70's and 80's

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a phone Interview the wednesday before the Thanksgiving week which lasted about 20 minutes and after it was over I asked about 5 questions. My final question was "what's the next step in the hiring process?"

The HR lady said..."well since next week is the holiday week we plan to make calls the week of december 2nd for face to face interviews" And she asked me...."Do you have my number?"

Thanks
Yes, success means having a scheduled interview date and time. Without that, you've got a "maybe" at best. That's better than a "no," but it's still not a success. It's not a "bad" end to the interview, but it's not a great one either.

Last edited:

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No, not necessarily. It's not abnormal for them to make all of their phone interviews, evaluate them, and then decide who to bring in person. I would say that a large company with a very formal hiring process (ie: lots of HR people) would be more likely to handle it that way.

Agreed. Phone screening weeds out a lot of candidates they feel like they do not need to bring in, especially if the job requires relocation and the company needs to fly out the prospects.

It sounds typical to me. This is more or less our protocol at work as well. Hopefully you added something like "I truly appreciate your time. I Hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving and I'm looking forward to touching base again in a couple of weeks".

PA37

Reaction score
I did send two thank you emails to both people who interviewed me on the phone but for some reason I didn't think to add have a nice thanksgiving holiday.

Maybe Thanksgiving was still a week away

PA37

Reaction score
Well just want to say it's not looking good at all.

I was told candidates would be contacted the week of December 2nd for Face to Face interviews if they were interested and now that it's wednesday without any contact it looks like it won't happen.

I knew when that phone conversation ended with her saying "the week of dec 2nd" and it was only on November 20th at the time that it was not a good sign. Yeah she mentioned the holiday week was the following week but the fact that there was two business days left in that week made me feel I no longer had a shot. If that phone interview was on Friday before Thanksgiving week then maybe but with two days left I just felt like I said something to make them consider someone else.

The only thing I will do at this point is follow up on Friday since I have her number so I can put a end to this before I go into a new week. It's all about elimination now

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Huh? The week of December 2 means that from December 2nd through December 6 they will be contacting candidates about 2nd interviews. You still have 2.5 days to wait for news.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Getting an in-person interview scheduled at the end of the phone interview really depends on who is interviewing you. If it's an HR drone, they'll likely to transcribing the interview and handing it to someone who understands the position and will make the real decisions. This is especially true if it's a technical position.

PA37

Reaction score
I know that it's only dec 4th but when you don't have a income and no other job prospects you begin to think the worst. Now maybe i can throw Monday out because it was the first day back after a holiday but that only leaves 2 days left if I don't hear anything today.

Plus I made sure I asked are they looking to fill the position in December and she said yes. So that's why I plan to call tonight and leave a message to see if calls were made for face to face interviews

Nothing to lose at this point

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads