• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • The 2024 Styleforum and Epaulet Alpaca Project

For the third year in a row, we're thrilled to partner with @Epaulet to bring you an exclusive collection of luxurious sweaters, hats, jackets, and blankets in Peruvian Alpaca.

Details can be found here

The Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is the water in Mexico safe to drink if I boil it?

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Hoping you scientists and frequent travelers might be able to help me out on this because I cannot for the life of me pin down a concrete answer. Every other page on the internet has different information. Many say that boiling WILL kill all the bacteria, but others say that still other contaminants are still prevalent (arsenic, other ****). Some say boiling for only a minute is enough, others say it has to be for a defined period of time like 15-30 minutes (never the same answer twice). I've been boiling water to make my coffee and I'm getting a little paranoid that the recent bird flu like illness I've been fighting was from something in the water. I could use bottled but I already drink a metric ton of bottled water as it is and have been trying to cut back on my expenses.

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it certain areas it is safe to drink from the tap, at least I and my cotnacts do it without any thing happening.

where are you in mexico? mexico or or another part?

Last edited:

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
>158°F and influenza won't harm you anymore (just checked, I'm really not that clever). I think you should be fine when you cook it for a couple minutes (also depending on the altitude [edit: just checked, German wiki says one minute longer per 150m]). There are some bacteria that won't get affected by boiling water, but they're rarely very dangerous, IIRC. I would ask a local what they do and if they say they drink it, just boil it for a couple minutes.

Of course, you won't remove any "heavy metal" by boiling. You could get a water filter for that, but I'm not sure whether there are very compact ones.

Last edited:

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It might be more economical for you to buy the big 5 gallon (or whatever size) instead of individual bottles.

When we travel we stick to bottled water or pellegrino.

Does anyone use one of those expensive high tech travel size water purifiers.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
brah- remember that what is fine for the locals may not be fine for you... some friends/family who come over here, no matter how clean and safe the water and food are, still manage to get down with something like intestinal flu. as one suggested above, best boil and purify the water. and remember not to drink the water they serve you in restaurants unless it came from a sealed bottle.

Featured Sponsor

Do you coordinate your watch strap with your shoes or belt?

• Always

• Sometimes

• Never

• I don't pay attention

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
negronjohn