• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is my workout worthless (sometimes it feels as though it is)

Tiranis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DGP
On the running days I do 2.5-3mi on a flat treadmil.
That's really not enough... you should preferably run at least for an hour to see some real progress. Especially if you run 3 times a week, I personally would recommend running 4 times.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gradstudent78
Probably not a good idea to starve yourself, if you want to get lower bodyfat and keep it off you'll do better with a modest deficit over a long time period (losing about 1 to 2 lbs per week at most).

Is that really healthy? While I do want to look better, the most important thing to me is to eat right and stay healthy. I'd sooner make some sacrifice in looks in favor of overall health. So how do the beer-guzzling kids who stay cut manage to do it, just tons of lifting?

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DGP
Is that really healthy? While I do want to look better, the most important thing to me is to eat right and stay healthy. I'd sooner make some sacrifice in looks in favor of overall health. So how do the beer-guzzling kids who stay cut manage to do it, just tons of lifting?

Better living though chemistry, and lots of lifting heh

I think the issue isn't necessarily the amount of cardio you're doing, to be honest. I think it's quite overrated. I think if you have a good diet, and increase your lifts, you'll get results in definition.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tiranis
That's really not enough... you should preferably run at least for an hour to see some real progress. Especially if you run 3 times a week, I personally would recommend running 4 times.

Incidentally, I completely disagree with this. If you're doing sprint intervals, for example, you can do as little as 20 min of work for three days a week and get good results, as long as you're really giving it everything you've got. Plus you'll lose a *lot* less muscle than if you start running 8-10 miles a day four days a week.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
Better living though chemistry, and lots of lifting heh

I think the issue isn't necessarily the amount of cardio you're doing, to be honest. I think it's quite overrated. I think if you have a good diet, and increase your lifts, you'll get results in definition.

So do you know of any bar out there that's as good as the shakes? I only ask because I often eat mine on the drive home from the gym in the morning, and it's very easy to do that, probably less so with a shake.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DGP
So do you know of any bar out there that's as good as the shakes? I only ask because I often eat mine on the drive home from the gym in the morning, and it's very easy to do that, probably less so with a shake.

There was a thread about this earlier, the cliff notes from which mostly say that protein bars suck ass. You can always get the premade shakes from Costco, which are about $0.75 a piece and are reasonably good, and very convenient. THey have about 30-35g of protein each.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DGP

I think they eat less junk than the flabby beer guzzlers.

Just like I said in some other threads (although I am no expert like some here) I really don`t think weight lifting is a must. Of course, no one can deny the benefits of lifting, but ultimately I think it`s the healthy diet that counts the most.

The reason you are still seeing flab after lifting and all the cardio is not because you need to do more, but because you are still fat. The fat is hiding all the muscle you have underneath, so you have to get rid of it by eating better.

I don`t think synthetic bars and shakes are healthy at all. I think you should be eating a real breakfast, like yogurt, fruit, and maybe a little whole wheat bread. Also, I think it helps to eat before your workout rather than after because after the workout you are hungry and the body is eager to absorb whatever it can.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dragon
I think they eat less junk than the flabby beer guzzlers.

Just like I said in some other threads (although I am no expert like some here) I really don`t think weight lifting is a must. Of course, no one can deny the benefits of lifting, but ultimately I think it`s the healthy diet that counts the most.

The reason you are still seeing flab after lifting and all the cardio is not because you need to do more, but because you are still fat. The fat is hiding all the muscle you have underneath, so you have to get rid of it by eating better.

I don`t think synthetic bars and shakes are healthy at all. I think you should be eating a real breakfast, like yogurt, fruit, and maybe a little whole wheat bread. Also, I think it helps to eat before your workout rather than after because after the workout you are hungry and the body is eager to absorb whatever it can.

Yea, I've been cutting back on the stuff that's really bad for me by pretty much getting rid of suggar from my diet as well as simple carbs (pasta, white bread, etc). My main staples, like I said, are whole wheat bread, peanut butter, skim milk, sushi, lean poultry, some veggies, and other calorie-free stuff like iced tea. I've stopped drinking regular soda and eating fried foods, and my only vices are alcohol (don't do it in excess but also won't give it up), the rice on sushi, and some cheese (mostly in omletts that otherwise contain only veggies and chicken). Every so often I'll give in and have a little dark chocolate.

What frustrates me is that I haven't noticed much difference from college when I ate burgers and pizza, drank coke, and helped myself to all the cookies I could eat. I guess I have to give this a little more time.

Coulomb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DGP

been lifting for about 10 or so years...starting my junior year in college, and i hardly ever consume those products (shakes/bars). i think it's mainly your diet. if you center your diet around protien rich foods, then you won't need supplements unless you are really that hardcore.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Coulomb
been lifting for about 10 or so years...starting my junior year in college, and i hardly ever consume those products (shakes/bars). i think it's mainly your diet. if you center your diet around protien rich foods, then you won't need supplements unless you are really that hardcore.

+1 on that. You can do well w/o shakes n' bar, it's just a bit harder that way.

In any case, you should go ahead and do more research on high protein diets, attributes of different nutrients, and nutrients timing. I.e. PB is considered by most as 'good fat', but it dramatically slows down digestion, the ideal time to consume PB is evening or before bedtime, not breakfast and definitely not pre or post workout.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tiranis

I can't imagine any normal person running an hour or more at a time, unless you are expressly training for some race or competition. Thats around 6 miles or more for most people. and you are suggesting he do it even more often.

some people suggest running around 40 minutes every other day. I don't see any point beyond this, for someone looking for general fitness.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
I can't imagine any normal person running an hour or more at a time, unless you are expressly training for some race or competition.
Or if one's desperately trying to lose weight.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
Or if one's desperately trying to lose weight.

Definitely not. At 6'1 172 that's the last thing I want. I just want to make sure I burn away some fat and, more importantly, maintain a healthy cardio vascular system.

Coulomb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DGP
Definitely not. At 6'1 172 that's the last thing I want. I just want to make sure I burn away some fat and, more importantly, maintain a healthy cardio vascular system.

I personally rarely ever focus on cardio. I just do reps faster with less rest or circuit training to get my heart rate up. I can't stand being on the treadmill and I hate running.

I'm 5'10, 150 sitting at 10% +/- .5% BF. I just lift weights 4-6 days a week. My main days are monday (chest), tuesday (back), wednesday (legs), thursday (shoulders). Fridays and saturdays are just fun days where I'll do whatever I feel like.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads