• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or perhaps the clothing conference can include a "Crossfire"-like discussion of The Rules featuring Manton and Dr. Bresch.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This would be an awesome cable show. Can you imagine?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
It's a fascinating journey spawned out of something completely inane.
I disagree that the topic is inane. It may be frivilous, but it is not inane.

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Or perhaps the clothing conference can include a "Crossfire"-like discussion
"How old are you?" "35" "And you wear a bow tie?. I'm not suggesting you're not a smart guy, because those aren't easy to tie..." Sorry for the Jon Stewart reference, that's all I could think about when I read that quote.
tounge.gif
A.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Or perhaps the clothing conference can include a "Crossfire"-like discussion
"How old are you?" "35" "And you wear a bow tie?. I'm not suggesting you're not a smart guy, because those aren't easy to tie..." Sorry for the Jon Stewart reference, that's all I could think about when I read that quote.
tounge.gif
A.
THAT is an instant classic right there. God, that man can talk.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Horace,Feb. 09 2005,03:09
Originally Posted by Manton,Feb. 07 2005,06:09
There are no absolutes.
Except the one above? (Sorry couldn't resist harkening back to prep school logic course).

Please note from the original posts that I did not say "There are no absolutes." Â That was Bresch.
Sorry Old Mant, misquoted you. Â Knew it was you. Edit: having read the back and forth between bresh and Manton, I really do wish that old Bresh would attempt to actually argue properly.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Knew it was you.
I think (hope?) you meant to say, "Knew it wasn't you." Â It was Bresch who said, "There are no absolutes." Â I replied, "Yes there are."

Smooth Jazz

Reaction score
Sorry I missed much of the party. Never realized such a topic would generate any interest -- much less 16 pages of it... In general, plain black suits do look a little bizarre in most business settings on most people. They literI have seen people who are very dark skinned get away with them (brilliantly, I may add with a cream or darker shade solid shirt), but most of the fair and medium tone crowd would probably do well to stay away.

The one look I have had some success with is a black with 1" wide white chalk stripe flannel suit in Lesser fabric (the chalk stripes soften the suit a lot), pink shirt with white contrast collar, brown grenadine-type woven silk tie (T&A does some ties in this material; I just dont know what its called) with white flecks and dark brown Russian reindeer calf shoes. The chalk stripes and the flannel fabric do soften the suit a lot and contrary to popular opinion, black and brown could be a very good combinantion if paired correctly. The "grain" in the reindeer calf shoes goes well with flannels in general.

One way for people to think about clothing is indeed "rules"; however, for people who hate the confinement can think of what looks "right" and "elegant". Hey, if you think the black suit, white shirt and whatever looks great during the day, go for it. The confidence with which you carry your clothes is every bit as important as the clothes themselves.

AJL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
 As I wrote earlier in this thread, "The judicious breaking of certain rules can actually improve one's style."  Yet one's breaking of the rules is far more likely to be judicious if one first knows what the rules are.
An excellent point. In order to be a deconstructivist, one must first understand how things are properly constructed. This holds true in the visual arts, in music, architecture, literature and so on. I see no reason why it would not also apply in regards to the sartorial arts. rule   P   Pronunciation Key  (rl) n. A usual, customary, or generalized course of action or behavior: "The rule of life in the defense bar ordinarily is to go along and get along" (Scott Turow). A generalized statement that describes what is true in most or all cases: In this office, hard work is the rule, not the exception. ............................................... I think this whole thing boils down quite simply to an issue of semantics. A set of rules in this application would seem a measure of documentable and accumulated experience -- a "generalized statement that describes what is true in most or all cases"--rather than a quantifiable theorum, a la Pythagorus. Based on that supposition, I think that Manton's extensive research and personal experience points to the fact that such rules do exist. That is not to say that said rules may not at some point change, or that certain among them may not be debatable, but so I think is the nature of rules, which are not scientifically or mathematically quantifiable. Perhaps it is Dr. Bresch's backround in the medical sciences which compels him to wish it were so, but alas I think it cannot be. I too am impressed with the depth and breadth of knowledge (to say nothing of some mighty flashy vocabulary being bandied about) contained herein, as well as the smattering of satiric jibs and jabs thrown in for good measure. Thoroughly entertaining. Carry on.

acole

Reaction score
As this thread no longer affords sufficient space or oxygen to do it properly, we're now roasting several of you over here. Â
smile.gif
 Thought it was only fair to point that out. It's been an interesting discussion. The only black suit I have is fused, which doesn't do much for my desire to wear it.  I'd use it for a funeral, and I've worn it with more vivid colors (red, violet) to bars, clubs, and parties.  I think plain black (or black w/ stripes) looks fine in a party context, provided you don't emulate the waitstaff or the "poor man's dinner jacket" look.  I wouldn't wear it in a business setting--for every client who says "great suit"; there's probably one who thinks "doesn't this guy know better?"  But I think Manton would agree, if you're willing to take that risk, then no one will try to stop you, and more power to you.

AJL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aaron,Feb. 09 2005,14:11
It's a fascinating journey spawned out of something completely inane.
I disagree that the topic is inane. Â It may be frivilous, but it is not inane.
Damnit, Manton, you are "on". Does no small detail escape your raptor's eye?
wink.gif

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"How old are you?"
"35"
"And you wear a bow tie?. I'm not suggesting you're not a smart guy, because those aren't easy to tie..."

Poor Tucker. Way out of his league. Didn't know what hit him. Over and over again.

brescd01

Reaction score
Well, since AK has adjudged Manton the winner, I guess that is it then. Another thread ruined. And the troll Horace, that post is considered a "troll," isn't it old Horace, says I do not know how to argue properly. Well, I guess you will just have to show me Horace, I mean from now on, since I am not sure how snipes and trolls reflect prep-school logic.

I THOUGHT I asked a question, and all I got was a lot of insults and sarcasm, rather than an answer. Lots of contradictions and manly penis waving, but very little substance. And of course, the inevitable "Look how many books I have read so I must be right." You know, in the places I work, they would suspend your privileges for statements like that.

Life is generalizations Manton, after all, what are your "rules" but generalizations? And by the way, since I should not generalize about Americans, you are SO right Manton and please excuse me, how many languages is that splendid bibliography you have compiled going to be in? Just curious. I am thinking of a whole number above zero but less than 2......but of course, this is just based on my a priori "generalizations."

And Manton, please, your gang and you are so far behind in backing up charges and accusations, I think I will let you do all the work from now on. Against you I make no charge except you are...unpleasant. I am still contemplating the charges against me from the last nasty flame thread on AAAC.

Honestly, you never had the courage to tell me what you do for a living, and I imagine you do not work with anyone you have to explain anything to. But are you so satisfied to be believed merely because you are the most sarcastic? I would imagine this is a very empty feeling.

A few minor notes: you appear to have misused the word "prolegomenon," but it was very effective, I had to look it up. And old boy, I think you are going to have trouble finding a publisher for a book with only 58 references. I have written several papers with more than that in their bibliography, 58 for a book just wont fly, old boy. Maybe a children's book. And that mis-characterization about the thread about MTM versus bespoke really pissed me off. As usual, you take things out of context, your particular argumentative device of preference I guess. We were discussing shirts sent through the mail according to precise measurements, and whether these were bespoke. It was a grey area, though with your rules, I guess you can conjure certainty from anything.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 97 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads