• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Weird to see this thread brought back from the dead after so long. The whole idea of conservative business dress and reason for following certain rules that are in place for menswear IMO is that, while not everyone knows the rules, there is a degree to which people understand the broad strokes on at least an unconscious level. Most people will not think, "OMG. I can't believe that guy is wearing a black suit. Doesn't he know better?" Of those who think it, most will have the good manners to not say it. But they may prefer the look of a navy or dark grey suit even if they don't know exactly why. The main reason to break the rules is to look better and I don't see many cases where wearing a black suit makes one look better. Especially since black looks better in the evening and business is conducted during the day (yeah, I've worked plenty of jobs with long hours where one is in the office well into the evening, but y'all know what I mean).

Robert Glenn

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
No its absolutely not a business attire. You can read it on number of blogs. Black suit only works well if you are going any formal business meetings or highly recommendable for Funeral. But it not a good option for every day business attire !

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No its absolutely not a business attire. You can read it on number of blogs. Black suit only works well if you are going any formal business meetings or highly recommendable for Funeral. But it not a good option for every day business attire !

So is it acceptable for business or not? You haz me confuse....

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

This makes ZERO sense.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

BrooksLauren77

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Second sentence contradicts your first.

AndrewDu

Reaction score
An old and maybe dead thread but I am in favour of black suits, typically paired with a pale to mid blue shirt. Far more acceptable than brown in town but sadly less choice than blues and greys.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
An old and maybe dead thread but I am in favour of black suits, typically paired with a pale to mid blue shirt.

That's good to know, but I think you may find yourself in a minority on this forum. For daytime wear, black is so...stark.

Luvwine

Reaction score
I usually wear my black suit to funerals and in a choir I sing in where it is the uniform (with a black shirt). Still, I sometimes wear it to the office and I think it works fine, tho I still think charcoal grey is better.

AndrewDu

Reaction score

That's good to know, but I think you may find yourself in a minority on this forum. For daytime wear, black is so...stark.
I can't disagree with either of your points, but I think it is the starkness that is part of the appeal for me.

With the right contrast of colours it can be striking rather than stark. However, not all blacks are the same so it's important to get the right shade/texture.

ChristopherFol

Reaction score

Instead of black, go for charcoal. Still very dark, but much more fitting for business attire. -boston

Completely agree, the midnight charcoal gray is black at night and totally appropriate for business during the day, the white shirt at night makes it elegant, a light or ice blue during daytime makes it business appropriate.
Where it becomes questionable is when it looks so dressy/formal during the day charcoal gray-white shirt that it draws attention to the clothing, not the man.
The key here is the suit fabric itself, Black is just too severe for daytime, charcoal gray should be muted, absolutely no shine to it, beware any tendency toward sharkskin

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Black suits are great...if you're an undertaker.

There's also different types of black cloth (well obviously) H Lessers is flat and somber, clearly meant for a funeral or funeral director, quite different from say a mohair or Dormeuil Amadeus with a paper press finish.

I think though it depends on the type of business you are doing, obviously people with time on their hands working in offices post a lot here but this is not the whole world of business.

Last edited:

recentgrad

Reaction score
Weird to see this thread brought back from the dead after so long.

In at least partial defense of beating the dead horse, I read the first 50 pages of responses and found lots of responses about alcohol, semantic debates about the meaning of words, philosophical debates about whether fashion rules exist at all, and rehashing of old internet grudges, but very little relevant to the original question.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In at least partial defense of beating the dead horse, I read the first 50 pages of responses and found lots of responses about alcohol, semantic debates about the meaning of words, philosophical debates about whether fashion rules exist at all, and rehashing of old internet grudges, but very little relevant to the original question.

(1) You're quoting my post from 18 months ago.

(2) That tends to happen on StyleForum.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads