• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is black Oxford really the most versatile shoe?

rob

Reaction score
To answer the question of this thread, you have to know the context or situations for which a guy is dressing. If the thought is truly what shoe can you where the most often and still look presentable, your answer will vary. If you are an actor on Schitz Creek, then by all means where black everyday for every event. Or if you argue in front of the Supreme Court , then black is your choice, at least starting in early October. Are you a funeral director? Then sure, go black. Are you a Goth? Same. Are you accepting your Nobel prize? Are you Lou Reed?

‘Short of that, if you wear black and just black and answer every question that you think black is better, then just accept you have a thing for black and that it might not apply to everyone else.

Rob

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To answer the question of this thread, you have to know the context or situations for which a guy is dressing. If the thought is truly what shoe can you where the most often and still look presentable, your answer will vary. If you are an actor on Schitz Creek, then by all means where black everyday for every event. Or if you argue in front of the Supreme Court , then black is your choice, at least starting in early October. Are you a funeral director? Then sure, go black. Are you a Goth? Same. Are you accepting your Nobel prize? Are you Lou Reed?

‘Short of that, if you wear black and just black and answer every question that you think black is better, then just accept you have a thing for black and that it might not apply to everyone else.

Rob

Yep, it's just my own taste - I'm not really interested in making everyone else go along with it.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Seems like two different issues being posed here. One is about color and the other is style.

When can black shoes be worn, vs

When can oxfords be worn (and specifically black oxfords)

Those are two very different discussions.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the first, I probably carried brown shoes. In the second, black.

That's pretty much what I guessed, mostly because of the tie. The second just screams black.

Blake Stitched Blues

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seems like two different issues being posed here. One is about color and the other is style.

I see no reason to own any black shoes beyond black oxfords. Maybe for the SW&D guys who want black chelseas for SLP style looks. Or people with very high insteps who just can't wear oxfords and don't want to go bespoke for them.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's true, but if we say there's a time that oxfords shouldn't be worn, then that includes black ones. It's a bifurcated topic that intersects.

As Blake Stitched Blues mentioned, black shoes should mostly be oxfords anyway.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The black loafer perfectly marries the sophistication of black calf with the insouciance of the loafer. It’s the peanut butter cup of shoes.

Have to say, I've never thought about it that way before. But I'm allergic to dairy.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Love black shoes

Black side zips with black or grey jeans and a black five zip. Or anything minimalistic and Lemaire-y

tumblr_inline_pgh3zhW7kc1qfex1b_540.jpg
tumblr_inline_pgh43ueFOn1qfex1b_540.jpg
tumblr_inline_pgh43oCU9D1qfex1b_540.jpg
tumblr_inline_pgh413hgQo1qfex1b_540.jpg

Black military boots or work boots with workwear

tumblr_inline_pgh3yplAyA1qfex1b_540.jpg
tumblr_inline_pgh3zu5y3T1qfex1b_540.jpg
tumblr_inline_pgh40qfDIJ1qfex1b_540.jpg

Black tassel loafers with tailoring. Grey suits, olive suits, navy sport coats and grey trouers, brown tweeds and taupe whipcord trousers.

tumblr_inline_pekc1hTZZy1qfex1b_540.jpg
tumblr_inline_pekfdgVCQK1qfex1b_540.jpg
tumblr_inline_nqs3gs4l7r1qfex1b_540.jpg
tumblr_inline_pgh44vl2Zq1qfex1b_540.jpg
117728422_741499143308048_107657140769046248_n.jpg

Black Blundstones with topcoats and jeans, or workwear, or Americana

vCfIi2U.jpg

47691254_2101935433183099_1256264379842571917_n.jpg
73420459_615188032348390_8546418633478816620_n.jpg

Black grained split toes with suits or grey tweeds

tumblr_inline_pgh40nIIy71qfex1b_540.jpg

You can say brown is more versatile, but at some point, I think you have enough clothes where versatility isn't an issue and you just want to wear things that express your point of view and things that give you joy. I wear black shoes often just because I like how they look with certain outfits. The other items -- Lee denim trucker jackets, olive suits, Margiela five-zips -- may not be "versatile," but they're what I actually wear on a daily basis.

IMO, black as a color is different from black oxfords. I think black oxfords are suit shoes, and specifically dark worsted suits. For that Bond outfit posted earlier, I would do black tassel loafers or some other casual style.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I met up with Peter once for drinks and he wore this same exact outfit with a pair of black engineer boots. I thought the outfit looked great. Black boots here go with the black jeans and the black shirt, which together form a kind of visual void against the suede leather jacket, helping it "pop." It also just makes the whole workwear outfit feel a bit moodier.

I don't know if this is considered SWD or CM, but it's reasonably classic and would work well for a lot of guys who are normally into suits and sport coats. The jacket is a vintage Ralph Lauren piece.

65953163_2344124529161966_8278892938446354709_n.jpg

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I met up with Peter once for drinks and he wore this same exact outfit with a pair of black engineer boots. I thought the outfit looked great. Black boots here go with the black jeans and the black shirt, which together form a kind of visual void against the suede leather jacket, helping it "pop." It also just makes the whole workwear outfit feel a bit moodier.

I don't know if this is considered SWD or CM, but it's reasonably classic and would work well for a lot of guys who are normally into suits and sport coats. The jacket is a vintage Ralph Lauren piece.

View attachment 1490277

This is exactly what I mean. A nice in-between from either suits or t-shirt and jeans. I actually own and wear a very similar jacket in a chocolate brown.

What I'm not so much a fan of is the tweed-and-country look when not actually in the country, as I think something like this, or blazer+trousers, or something like the fashion shots you posted above work better in the city.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixieboweres