• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is an Omega Seamaster appropriate at my age?

KtownGreg

Reaction score
I agree. This model in the pix is the quartz model. Solid but not at that price. I'd suggest Auto all the way.

KtownGreg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tqd1
That's the plan. Thanks! I didn't want to pay full sticker price for this watch brand new and take the hit on depreciation... but this deal is too good to pass up. The watch is only one year old and going for $900... I'm seeing 10-12 year old Seamasters going for $1,000+ on eBay.

Just make sure it is the Automatic. Quartz is much less desirable on the sec. market.

G

zazaza

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i didn't realize this was a quartz, def get an automatic. not just for resale, but just because its ridic to pay over 300 for something that runs off a battery.
OP: if you're serious about buying PM me and i'll refer you to where i purchased mine, brand new and under US warranty for a very good price. they had a brick and mortar store in DC as of a few years ago, i think they are just web and phone now. still, the service i've gotten through them has been great and at the time the price they offered was well below what other reputable sellers asked.

tqd1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ZxExN
Good decision on not buying the watch. Definitely a scam.

Yep. Forget it. I was just looking for a good deal. I'll let this pass.

When I'm ready, I'll buy a nice watch brand new from Tourneau or another authorized dealer.

sanrensho

Reaction score
Although it sounds like you've made up your mind, let me put my $.02 in...

o You have a good job
o You are debt-free
o You drive a nice car that's paid off
o You have money in the bank
o You are moving up in the world (graduate school)

I wish I was in your position at 24! You deserve a nice watch...and you'd just be "licking a little off the top of the glass" by spending the money.

The only thing I would do, if I was in your shoes, is to buy something to keep forever. That's what signifies real value - not just saving a few bucks off retail.

centrix

Reaction score
high time you get one

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
suzeormanshowbook.jpg

Just kidding! imo, a SMP with its sporty style looks way better on someone younger than a middle-aged fellow. do yourself a favor and buy it.

Luddite

Reaction score
I have worn a Seamaster since my 18th birthday. First my father's, from 1971, then through a painful mistake on my part, no longer my father's, and instead a then-new Seamaster Pro that I saved up for by way of replacement.

Love it.

Never had a negative comment. Most people don't notice.

Madrileno

Reaction score
I have a Seamaster (with the brown leather strap) that was given to me as a graduation present when I was 22 years old. I never had any problems as far as my superiors taking notice or anything like that.
Plus whenever anybody notices it, it's only to make a positive remark.

A few years later, I got a Cartier Santos 100 (another present), and even though I love it, it is not nearly as versatile as the Omega

Miguel Alvarez

Reaction score
I got my Seamaster 2250.80.00 when i was about 18. Only comments that i got were mostly positive. It seems you can afford one so why not? You can always sell it without losing to much. The watch value holds up quite well when bought second hand.

tqd1

Reaction score
Well, it's about a year later. Ended up being a penny pincher all year long, working my tail off, but still having some fun.

I'll be headed to a top MBA program this Fall and to celebrate I just splurged.

I got the Seamaster 2221.80 in Quartz.

smile.gif

2221.80.00_front.JPG

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congratulations on your fine purchase. I have the self same watch, though the earlier version without the red text. Wear it in good health
biggrin.gif

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you need to worry less about other people and enjoy what your hard work has allowed you to have. I got my first Seamaster when I was only 20. I worked, went to school and saved. Life is meant to be enjoyed and if the watch helps that enjoyment for you, then go for it.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LanaBurrell