• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

iPhone 5

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
No, I agree a larger display would be advantageous to Apple at this point. I just can't see it happening the way that article described. My only concern about them going bigger is I don't want them to get stuck in this rat race of "bigger is better" that Android handsets have fallen into. These are phones, not mini-tablets. ;)

Sense used to be nice in the earlier days of Android. Now that stock Android is so nice, it actually makes the experience worse. That goes for all of these skins, not just SENSE.

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No, I agree a larger display would be advantageous to Apple at this point. I just can't see it happening the way that article described. My only concern about them going bigger is I don't want them to get stuck in this rat race of "bigger is better" that Android handsets have fallen into. These are phones, not mini-tablets. ;)
Sense used to be nice in the earlier days of Android. Now that stock Android is so nice, it actually makes the experience worse. That goes for all of these skins, not just SENSE.

why is that necessarily a bad thing? im on a 4.5" now and i wouldnt trade down for anything in the world. battery life is still just as good. and still fits in pocket same as 3.7" phones did

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well that discussion has been had in this thread. I'm of the opinion that 4 inches is the sweet spot. Any larger is too big for a phone.

blairh

Reaction score

I think you know that Apple wouldn't follow a trend but rather decide on their own if something needs to evolve or not. The one nice thing about Android with respect to screen size is that there is something for everybody. Interestingly too, I see almost no smartphones coming out lately with screens smaller than 4". That's kinda my point with the iPhone. A larger screen (say 4") would be embraced at the start by almost everyone and would even change the minds of most of the 'it doesn't need to get any bigger' crowd. If Apple gave us a 3.5" screen this fall (I seriously doubt they will) I would be greatly disappointed.

4" just sounds like a move Apple would make. Anything bigger would really surprise me. I could see them going larger down the road but not until they can eliminate most of the bezel and make the phone thinner.

As long as Sense isn't horrible I don't think it would bother me too much. I'm more concerned about handling a 4.7" smartphone with one hand. I'll get a clear answer once it hits the market. I love the fact that Chrome Beta appears to be an excellent browser. Android really has made strides in recent years. I think the fact that the One X matches the clarity of the retina display is a HUGE factor too. I would never consider another smartphone that wasn't as clear and crisp a screen as my iPhone 4.

4" iPhone mockup. 640 x 1152. 329 ppi.

Last edited:

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I agree with a lot of what you are saying, my only point is that it doesn't make sense to me to only increase the height of the iPhone's screen without also increasing the width. That's what The Verge article speculated and is the rumor being floated around now including the mock-up you just posted.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see a larger screened iPhone this summer/fall, but I would be surprised if that's how they go about it.

Last edited:

blairh

Reaction score

I agree with a lot of what you are saying, my only point is that it doesn't make sense to me to only increase the height of the iPhone's screen without also increasing the width. That's what The Verge article speculated and is the rumor being floated around now including the mock-up you just posted.
I wouldn't be surprised if we see a larger screened iPhone this summer/fall, but I would be surprised if that's how they go about it.

I agree that there is something awkward about just increasing the height only. Or maybe I'm just not used to seeing an iPhone screen like that.

Regardless we will see in due time.

blairh

Reaction score
Just listened to the latest Gruber podcast. Had to fast forward to roughly the 83 minute mark to get to the iPhone talk. They wasted a lot of time BS'ing about non-tech related topics.

Anyways, Gruber is really hinting that he thinks a future iPhone with a 4" screen would essentially look identical to what The Verge was floating this week. Also, and perhaps just as importantly, he feels very strongly that Apple would not increase the height or width of the current form factor. Very interesting stuff. While he isn't the final word when it comes to Apple, I think he might be right on this one.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Didn't know it was out. Thanks for the heads up! :)

blairh

Reaction score

That 'report' means nothing. Anything where the source is an 'analyst' means you shouldn't pay too much attention. Last fall I read countless reports from analysts about a 4" iPhone and other reports about an iPhone 4S AND iPhone 5. And then we got the 4S.

The only time you should maybe get excited about anything is a specific persistent rumor that starts coming from multiple sources over a long stretch of time. Usually someone connected to suppliers overseas.

I do think Gruber is onto something recently when he said Apple isn't going to make the iPhone wider or longer. They'll either squeeze a bigger screen (4") on the current form factor or stick with 3.5". My guess is the former.

Last edited:

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
killed my iphone 4 screen yesterday. don't really feel like getting a 4S. how long do i have to wait for 5?

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

killed my iphone 4 screen yesterday. don't really feel like getting a 4S. how long do i have to wait for 5?

I killed my iPhone 4 last week. Take it to an apple store. If they can't fix it, they will exchange it for a new one. Your out of pocket cost will be $150 and they give you the exact same model phone. You don't have to extend your contract. It's not a bad deal and when the next iPhone comes out you can trade it in for credit towards the new one.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
tanks for the info guys :inlove: so much bullshit on the innernets so I need SF to cut through it :slayer:

I think I'll do the apple store exchange now and upgrade whenever 5 comes out

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads