• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

iPhone 5

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The Onion is no longer funny. It hasn't been since they hit the Internet.

I'm holding off until the 6. Thank you for beta testing.

I don't think so. 5 owners were beta testing for 5S. You will be beta testing for the 6S.

Preordering a golden 5S for the fiance, but I'm getting a Moto X for myself for two reasons: 1) Down payment being dropped from 199 to 99 in Q4, I already spent the savings on a "Primal" kettlebell from onnit.com and 2) I look forward to the day I can uninstall iTunes from my PC once and for all.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Installed the iOS 7 gold master on both my iPhone 5 and iPad 3 last night. So far everything is working without a hitch. I'm going to hold off my impressions till I spend a few more days with it. Right now, it's mostly positive with a few UI annoyances that I wish Apple had gone a different direction with.

Two things for those looking to do the upgrade early.

1. I'm assuming this is the same software that will release to the general public next week. As any major software revisions, expect a few odd glitches here and there. I've experienced some bugs and areas that need to be further optimized. Wouldn't be surprised if we see a patch soon.

2. Make sure you have everything backed up! I had assumed my iPad was fully backed up via iCloud. This was not the case and I lost my settings and saved data for a bunch of games. Not happy about this and am going to see if iTunes might have a backup from when I installed the GM I can use tonight.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It feels snappy enough. I think some of the new animations help it to feel that way to the user too. No real slowdown of any kind.

There are some minor animations and transitions related to the finer points of the UI that look like they need optimization still. The kind of stuff you have to be OCD about it to really pick up on and even notice. I suspect they will be cleaned up with patches.

I'm curious how well it will run on older harder.

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Does the updated OS have live wallpaper? :embar:

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Does the updated OS have live wallpaper? :embar:

:laugh:

There are preloaded "dynamic" wallpapers that accomplish the same thing. I'm not sure if any special file types are used and process of loading your own.

What's more interesting is the parallax effect iOS 7 has on the lockscreen and homescreen. This adds a layer of depth to the UI that was not there before. I find it subtle enough a tweak and it works well with the new UI style. Not sure if this can be turned off or not, but I haven't found it to be distracting yet.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited:

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
0.jpg

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It feels snappy enough. I think some of the new animations help it to feel that way to the user too. No real slowdown of any kind.

There are some minor animations and transitions related to the finer points of the UI that look like they need optimization still. The kind of stuff you have to be OCD about it to really pick up on and even notice. I suspect they will be cleaned up with patches.

I'm curious how well it will run on older harder.

Is iOS 7 functionally actually worthwhile?

A list of some things I want improved with absolutely no interest in UI bullshit like whether something has a beveled border or looks flat:
- Better [and more] radio controls for a variety of features
- Better LTE <==> 3G switching. Why the **** does the iphone suck so hard at this? Go from 3G to LTE and all data ***** up until you go into airport mode, let it lose its old signal, and then pick up the LTE one
- UI-wise: Different backgrounds for different screens on the phone
- UI-wise: Font controls.
- Safari: 8 tab max what the **** is this, always ******* crashes for no reason, settings only available in the 'Settings' manager, when you close your 2nd to last tab (leaving you with 1) it automatically goes to 'browse' mode and you have to click 'open new tab' again-very UI ugly.

i have more, but seriously. iOS7 might be a make-it-or-break-it deal in terms of me getting a future iPhone. Apparently Apple's target market up to this point has been people who don't mind being mired in a cheap attempt at functionality. The only benefit is iMessaging friends/family because of the ubiquity of the iPhone.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
deadly7:

- Better [and more] radio controls for a variety of features

Not sure what you mean by this.

- Better LTE <==> 3G switching. Why the **** does the iphone suck so hard at this? Go from 3G to LTE and all data ***** up until you go into airport mode, let it lose its old signal, and then pick up the LTE one

I've not experienced a bug like this myself.

- UI-wise: Different backgrounds for different screens on the phone

Nope.

- UI-wise: Font controls.

You have control over font sizes and other tweaks to aid in readability. As far as I can tell, the user still cannot change the font type. I happen to like the default font they use, but if changing it is a big deal for you then I am afraid you are out of luck.

- Safari: 8 tab max what the **** is this, always ******* crashes for no reason, settings only available in the 'Settings' manager, when you close your 2nd to last tab (leaving you with 1) it automatically goes to 'browse' mode and you have to click 'open new tab' again-very UI ugly.

Tested it last night on my iPhone and managed to open 20 tabs before I stopped. So it can handle at least 20, maybe more.

A lot of people consider the unified "settings app" to be a positive feature of the iOS UI design. I like having one place to look instead of having to open individual apps to change things.

Last edited:

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The market is not impressed:

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/high-iphone-price-spooks-investors-000137812.html said:
High iPhone price spooks investors, Apple shares drop

REUTERS - Apple Inc's (NSQ:AAPL) new iPhones got panned by Wall Street on Wednesday as investors decried one model for being too costly for emerging markets such as China, and dismissed the other model as lacking enough game-changing features...

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

With the new sensors you don't have to move your finger, just press it against the reader. And like the sensor in the iPhone 5S, the sensors that will be in laptops and keyboards and other phones can detect the ridge and valley pattern of your fingerprint not from the layer of dead skin on the outside of your finger (which a fake finger can easily replicate), but from the living layer of skin under the surface of your finger, using an RF signal. That only works on a live finger; not one that's been severed from your body.

This will protect you from thieves trying to chop off your finger when they mug you for your phone (assuming they're tech-literate thieves, of course), as well as from people with fake fingers using the fingerprint they lifted from your phone screen.

http://www.citeworld.com/security/22399/iphone-fingerprint-scanner-better-biometrics

I have no doubt that large amounts of media produced FUD about this are incoming, but it looks like 5S owners don't have to worry about anyone cutting off their fingers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads