• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

iPad 2.0

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
Since getting my iPad, I only really use my laptop for downloading media, putting songs on my iPhone and for photo editing on Lightroom.

Everything else is on the iPad.

not me, i still cant get used to the typing, but i love it for travel :)

Wolfador

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sinnedk
not me, i still cant get used to the typing, but i love it for travel :)

iOS 5 helps with the split keyboard when not working with it supported on something.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
Since getting my iPad, I only really use my laptop for downloading media, putting songs on my iPhone and for photo editing on Lightroom.

Everything else is on the iPad.

This is why the cloud is probably going to win (even though I much prefer my stuff to be done at home or in my own mini cloud).

I don't even have an iPad but I have a similar set of issues. I use 3 computers daily but there is a 4th computer that I actually consider my primary. I do most stuff on my work computer or at home on my netbook or htpc (little revo box with XBMC but I can drop down to firefox or other programs for computing tasks) but have a desktop for a primary computer. Now that I have stopped gaming much (and am not in school so I don't use it for schoolwork), I only wake it up so that I have access to my shared music drive.

This has led to a situation where things get out of date and left unkempt...the cloud would hypothetically always have fresh security patches and keep everything synced and organized between devices.

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
quick question for Ipad 2 users... what size to get???

I have a NAS drive that holds songs, video, etc. and it is a cloud storage enabled device so I can access it anywhere, i.e., I wont be holding that much 'stuff' actually on the Ipad. I was thinking of just going witht the 16GB but @ only $100 more maybe the 32 is worth it??

Also am I going to have any trouble playing/accessing my FLAC/mp3 files or other current PC files with the Ipad..

All my other devices are PC based including my laptop and andriod phone.. which had me leaning toward an android tablet. But everyone still says the PAd2 is the best.

Wolfador

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pg600rr

I have a NAS drive that holds songs, video, etc. and it is a cloud storage enabled device so I can access it anywhere, i.e., I wont be holding that much 'stuff' actually on the Ipad. I was thinking of just going witht the 16GB but @ only $100 more maybe the 32 is worth it??

Also am I going to have any trouble playing/accessing my FLAC/mp3 files or other current PC files with the Ipad..

All my other devices are PC based including my laptop and andriod phone.. which had me leaning toward an android tablet. But everyone still says the PAd2 is the best.

I have the 16GB but if I was buying again I would go for the 32gb. I have only apps, no music or movies and have about 14GB used. I have some magazine subscriptions on it and each magazine is like 600MB. Some of the high graphics games are over 1GB in size themselves.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Get the biggest you can afford, one can never have too much storage on a device.

Also am I going to have any trouble playing/accessing my FLAC/mp3 files or other current PC files with the Ipad.

The iPad can't play FLAC, you'll have to convert these to Apple Lossless or Wav. MP3 and AAC play just fine.

To use an iPad you must have iTunes. iTunes is rather a love-it or hate-it thing. The iPad is indeed probably the best tablet at the moment, and certainly the most developed. Also have a look at what HP is offering with WebOS tablets.

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saw the xoom, playbook, and some acer thing in staples today. They felt like junk compared to the iPad. Awkward, plasticky, just ugly. The playbook is tiny and weird.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wife won an iPad 2 at a festival recently. Now, I'm not a gadget kind of guy, but... it. is. awesome!

Seriously, I find little need to use my laptop at home anymore. It doesn't cater to all my computing needs, but if I want to browse the internet or distract myself with a game, it's perfect. I have yet to access Netflix or really transfer all my music and video files, but they'll make their way over soon.

Does anyone have any suggestions for basic apps that any iPad user should need/want?

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Grabbed one since they finally had one in stock. Figured I play with it for a week and return it like I did with the disastrous RIM Playbook and the much better Galaxy Tab 10.1. It's staying. The damn thing is a marvel.

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am guessing the answer to this is no, but is there anywhere that has the thing at a better price than mrsp? either via a coupon code or something? the 32gb one I was looking @ was $749 i think.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I am guessing the answer to this is no, but is there anywhere that has the thing at a better price than mrsp? either via a coupon code or something? the 32gb one I was looking @ was $749 i think.
Nope. If you buy it from somewhere like Amazon you can avoid tax. But otherwise, no.

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AntiHero84
My wife won an iPad 2 at a festival recently. Now, I'm not a gadget kind of guy, but... it. is. awesome!

Seriously, I find little need to use my laptop at home anymore. It doesn't cater to all my computing needs, but if I want to browse the internet or distract myself with a game, it's perfect. I have yet to access Netflix or really transfer all my music and video files, but they'll make their way over soon.

Does anyone have any suggestions for basic apps that any iPad user should need/want?

I use these constantly:

Pulse news reader
Evernote (note organization)
Pages (word processing)
Autodesk sketchbook (drawing)
Snapseed (photo editing)
Remote (apple tv and laptop music)
Reuters news (noos)

If you play music (or even of you don't), GarageBand is definitely worth the low price.

Netflix, flixter, and imdb are great for movies

epb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by grundletaint

I use the first two all the time. I'd also add Atomic or another tab-capable web browser - much better than the current version of Safari. I also use Penultimate for note-taking. For reading, I've got my car magazine subscriptions (EVO, BMW Car) and Kindle.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn I hate to admit it. But the Ipad 2 is pretty dope.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grundletaint
I use these constantly:

Pulse news reader
Evernote (note organization)
Pages (word processing)
Autodesk sketchbook (drawing)
Snapseed (photo editing)
Remote (apple tv and laptop music)
Reuters news (noos)

If you play music (or even of you don't), GarageBand is definitely worth the low price.

Originally Posted by epb
I use the first two all the time. I'd also add Atomic or another tab-capable web browser - much better than the current version of Safari. I also use Penultimate for note-taking. For reading, I've got my car magazine subscriptions (EVO, BMW Car) and Kindle.

Thanks for the advice. I'll have to spend some time this weekend checking out these apps while the missus is away.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads