• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Interview rules when you know the culture of the office you are interviewing, and the average age-IT

Alathea

Reaction score
Ive actually seen that in 'search'. Pretty funny, and applicable to other forums that I frequent.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was trying to make a point. I took the pants with me when I went looking for the jackets so I could compare that. I know about matching weights and fabrics a bit, I used to work in a theater costume shop. My consternation comes from one above suggesting that I dressed like I was coming in from the clown car for my interviews because I don't have a full on wool suit. In the Midwest you don't often find a full suit at a thrift shop or consignment, even in a larger city (at least in Nebraska), and I when I was laid off from my job I didn't know if I would have 200 or 300 dollars to pull off getting a rack suit at MW or some such, so I improvised. I'm a larger man so getting lucky enough to find my sizes is doing pretty well as it is. I hemmed the pants I have to length, and I adjusted the length of the sleeves of the jackets I found, so I feel that I've done pretty well, so far. Ill buy a suit when my unemployment insurance kicks in. Its only been a month-that usually takes 2 or 3 months to process where I live, so my only income at this point is my wife and some savings. 

Back to topic, I got it-despite being told 'not to dress up' by a prospective interviewer, and in spite of knowing that an informal dress code applies at a potential employer, the rule is still to dress up. 

Realize that you do not own a suit. If you have decided that a suit is required (which is still not clear from your posts), you should either buy one or borrow one. In theater costumery as you mentioned, matching fabrics doesn't matter because the closest anyone gets is 40 feet. I think interviewers sit a bit closer. What you are doing, really, is like wearing a woman's jacket. Sure, most people probably won't notice. But if someone does? It is inexplainable, you cannot possibly create an excuse for it. It's like having a hole in your pants and whoever noticed it will think "that was very odd". That's why people don't do it.

You said you don't own a suit because you have been unemployed for a month. Well you've been alive for 35 years. You've never been to a wedding, funeral, or interview?

Everyone except one moron told you not to wear the pocket square, and yet you still wore one.

Unfortunately :facepalm: you just bought the only pair of shoes which are inappropriate with a suit (saddles). Should have saved you money for a suit.

Alathea

Reaction score
The shoes weren't for interviewing, and what I paid for them wouldn't have come close to any suit I have thus found, thrift, or new. I don't know anyone that wears a 54 suit jacket, so borrowing one is out.

Patrons sit quite a bit closer than 40 feet at the theater, depending on the venue .Those that I have worked in were small, therefore the attendees sat right up to the proscenium.

As for weddings, funerals, and the like, I wore slacks and a shirt and tie. I have never, in my life, had to own a full suit for anything. I haven't decided if I need one or not. I have 2 blazers and complimenting slacks. It's what I have. Ill have to soldier on for awhile until I can afford a suit.

My question wasn't "Do I need to wear a suit". I could have googled that and gotten pages and pages of fashionistas that insist that without a suit for an interview I deserve to be unemployed. (not you) I came here looking for some direction on handling an interview where the environment is ultra casual or where I'm specifically told to not wear a suit of dress up. I think that has already been answered. Im not going to cross swords with you anymore about whether or not I *should* own a suit because I already know the answer to that.

Yes, according to Men's Health, Andy's Advice, Style Forum, Emily Post, Jesus, my grandpa, and Alan Flusser I should own a suit. Do I feel less of a person for not? Until I came in here, no, I hadn't considered that possibility, and quite honestly, I'm not sure I do now. If the only thing that keeps me from getting a job in my field is whether or not I wear a full suit to a job interview when they are already presented with my work history and academics, then I either don't want that level of job, or it's their loss for hiring the other guy just because he wore the right monkey suit. If I lived on the coasts or in a city larger than 250,000, Id probably be more inclined to agree with you about the necessity, but on a budget, with the situation being what it is I have other things to focus on and spending 300.00+ for a suit when I have bills and children to worry about is not as high on my priority list. Ill continue to work with what I have for the time being.

Thank you all for your advisement.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just hope your interview goes well. Personally I would wear a shirt, trouser and tie, the suggestion should be appropriate enough for this particular interview.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If the only thing that keeps me from getting a job in my field is whether or not I wear a full suit to a job interview when they are already presented with my work history and academics, then I either don't want that level of job, or it's their loss for hiring the other guy just because he wore the right monkey suit.

Then why'd you try to wear a suit?

Alathea

Reaction score
A blazer and slacks is not a suit. I didn't pass it as a suit, I didn't call it a suit. I just can't AFFORD a suit. I suppose, here in hicksville, that I showed up with a tie at all probably guarantees me one of two questions in public-who died, and when is the wedding.

I'm not going to buy a two or three piece suit and spend money I don't have to spend when I already have separates to work with that in most normal strata of society should be just fine.
dozingoff.gif

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A blazer and slacks is not a suit. I didn't pass it as a suit, I didn't call it a suit.

:facepalm:

You're really not getting it are you...

You tried to wear a blazer and 'slacks' of the same colour, as if they were a suit. If they were different colours it would be fine, because the contrast is obvious. The fact that they are the same colour clearly indicates that you were trying to imitate a suit.

Alathea

Reaction score
Apparently not. Ill plead ignorance then. Ive always been told to wear a black jacket and black pants, nothing else. Now I understand where you are coming from, RE: simulated suit. Thank you. Off to google to find what can be worn with a black blazer.

Thank you.

CAS

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a moot discussion, unless the OP plans on continuing his sartorial journey. If he does not, his chosen ensemble, no matter how misguided, does not matter in the big scheme of his life. Can we move on now? :plain:

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Apparently not. Ill plead ignorance then. Ive always been told to wear a black jacket and black pants, nothing else. Now I understand where you are coming from, RE: simulated suit. Thank you. Off to google to find what can be worn with a black blazer. 

Thank you. 

CAS

I've honestly never seen a black blazer for dressing up. I've seen black blazers worn casually with jeans from time to time or full black suits but never a black blazer.

Archivist

Reaction score
This thread is sorely lacking in in-depth discussion of the subtle and significant differences between the AE Park Avenue and the AE Strand.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads