• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indo-chino mto dress shirt quality?

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

How would you rate the quality of indo-chino made to measure dress shirts? They offer a very good price and I can get fitted nearby, but I'm concerned they aren't especially good given how inexpensive they are.

Plus, they are made in China so I am concerned they're not especially well made.

Last edited:

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

How would you rate the quality of indo-chino made to measure dress shirts? They offer a very good price and I can get fitted nearby, but I'm concerned they aren't especially good given how inexpensive they are.

'Quality' is such a nebulous term, especially with shirts. Not sure you'll find significant differences in terms of sewing "quality" among machine-made shirts. Collar construction does matter, so I'd pay attention to how their collars look and feel. There are noticeable differences in shirt fabrics, but you should be able to tell that for yourself if you have a physical store nearby. Fit's going to be more important in a shirt than construction 'quality' IMO. That's going to be a function of how close you are to their block pattern and to the skill of the person taking your measurements and making adjustments. Those are going to be variables that are hard to generalize. I'd say that if the price is very good, why not try a shirt?

Plus, they are made in China so I am concerned they're not especially well made.
Can't believe this still keeps coming up. China makes high quality stuff AND bad quality stuff. iPhones are made in China. Spier & Mackay sources from China. Some really, really nice hand-welted shoes coming out of China. Buick builds some of their SUVs in China -- my wife drives one and it's put together quite nicely. Lots of crap too. Same is true in Italy, USA, etc.

This is even ignoring the apparently fairly common practice of having clothing made in low-income countries and then finishing in high-income countries so that they can have a "Made in Italy" (or wherever) label. OR having workers from low-income countries making clothing in high-income countries for the same reason.

Last edited:

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
'Quality' is such a nebulous term, especially with shirts. Not sure you'll find significant differences in terms of sewing "quality" among machine-made shirts. Collar construction does matter, so I'd pay attention to how their collars look and feel. There are noticeable differences in shirt fabrics, but you should be able to tell that for yourself if you have a physical store nearby. Fit's going to be more important in a shirt than construction 'quality' IMO. That's going to be a function of how close you are to their block pattern and to the skill of the person taking your measurements and making adjustments. Those are going to be variables that are hard to generalize. I'd say that if the price is very good, why not try a shirt?

Can't believe this still keeps coming up. China makes high quality stuff AND bad quality stuff. iPhones are made in China. Spier & Mackay sources from China. Some really, really nice hand-welted shoes coming out of China. Buick builds some of their SUVs in China -- my wife drives one and it's put together quite nicely. Lots of crap too. Same is true in Italy, USA, etc.

This is even ignoring the apparently fairly common practice of having clothing made in low-income countries and then finishing in high-income countries so that they can have a "Made in Italy" (or wherever) label. OR having workers from low-income countries making clothing in high-income countries for the same reason.

Thanks for the insight, but I was hoping for some first hand experience. Still, thank you.

As for the other point:

Nah. I'm afraid that even if China has a few good things, the overwhelming majority is crap. The reputation for disposable garbage, made at the lowest possible price, has stuck to China as it still remains the standard Chinese fare. That's the entire economic model China has used to become rich, so it is deserved as it is real.

That the Chinese are being employed to push Italian goods is actually indicative of the poor quality of Italy rather than the high quality of China.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nah. I'm afraid that even if China has a few good things, the overwhelming majority is crap. The reputation for disposable garbage, made at the lowest possible price, has stuck to China as it still remains the standard Chinese fare. That's the entire economic model China has used to become rich, so it is deserved as it is real.

That the Chinese are being employed to push Italian goods is actually indicative of the poor quality of Italy rather than the high quality of China.
Just saying that I think going by "Made In" labels is getting increasingly difficult to parse out. If you really, truly care about this then I think you should buy from small makers and/or those that can clearly trace the production chain, and not pay attention to finding a good deal. Really doubt that Indochino's business model is anything other than minimizing their costs of production. If you don't want to buy MIC, that's entirely your right -- but then I'm confused about why you're even asking whether you should be buying a MIC shirt in the first place.

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

If you have a garment in front of you, why read quality off a country-of-origin label instead of the garment itself?

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you have a garment in front of you, why read quality off a country-of-origin label instead of the garment itself?

Because I don't consider myself an expert in dress shirt quality and would prefer to ask someone with experience who could relate what they take to be the case.

User123456789

Reaction score
I have no experience with Indochino shirts. But I've had good experience with Proper Cloth. They offer shirts at about the same price point (starting ~$80) and made overseas with good customer service as well.

You won't be able to get measured in person by them unless you're in NYC, but it does go to show that the price point is not necessarily too good to be true.

As an aside, be careful getting fitted in person at major chains like Indochino. They won't mess up your measurements like you probably would at home. But they will stuff you into the uber slim fit that is in fashion today. Doesn't work for most people's builds. I've had the best luck finding a shirt that fits me the way I like it off the rack and going off of the measurements of the existing shirt.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have no experience with Indochino shirts. But I've had good experience with Proper Cloth. They offer shirts at about the same price point (starting ~$80) and made overseas with good customer service as well.

You won't be able to get measured in person by them unless you're in NYC, but it does go to show that the price point is not necessarily too good to be true.

As an aside, be careful getting fitted in person at major chains like Indochino. They won't mess up your measurements like you probably would at home. But they will stuff you into the uber slim fit that is in fashion today. Doesn't work for most people's builds. I've had the best luck finding a shirt that fits me the way I like it off the rack and going off of the measurements of the existing shirt.

Thank you. I decided to book an appointment with Proper Cloth to see how that works out for me.

The reason I am going down the MTM route is I find that my measurements make it difficult to get a good fit from off the rack.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, had a terrible experience today at Proper Cloth.

I had gotten an appointment on Monday for Thursday at 3 pm. The person who took down my information had my phone number and my email. Nevertheless, they failed to contact me to tell me they had to cancel due to a "team decision" to close down for omicron for a bit.

Now I'm sympathetic about the virus and the one person there made it seem like someone may have gotten it, but why did they fail to contact their customers? There were other people booked that day and they wasted my time/effort in going there, and nothing was really done about it except a half-hearted apology.

I might try indo-chino again because I'm not pleased to waste my time like this.

Conversely, any other nyc mtm places worth checking?

emptym

Reaction score
If I was in NY, I'd go to CEGO. I had some shirts made by them/Carl during trips to NYC and have no complaints. Carl's fun to talk to too. The shirts are made in the city or in NJ, and they don't cost much more than Proper Cloth.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I was in NY, I'd go to CEGO. I had some shirts made by them/Carl during trips to NYC and have no complaints. Carl's fun to talk to too. The shirts are made in the city or in NJ, and they don't cost much more than Proper Cloth.

Thanks! I will investigate both.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks for the mention.
Sadly my manufacturing partner in NJ closed for Good in 2020. Now Making everything in my shop in NYC. In fact will be moving to a larger space close by in the new year.
And prices are quite a bit higher then
Propercloth. It cost more to make a shirt with a small workroom with 7 people in NYC then a huge modern factory in Vietnam owned by TAL.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks! I will investigate both.
I have not seen an Indochino shirt in a few years. My only comment is if the price is that low. Quality will be questionable. Cheap fabrics and trims. Lower quality stitching. Also the person measuring you may not have a lot of experience.

wozniak

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

Adding my experience here for future reference of anyone searching here. I have both Indochino and Proper Cloth Shirts. I am a hard to fit guy and MTM is the way to go for me.

Of course Indochino are not high quality shirts, but that is okay to me as I like having some mediocre, low cost, but well fitting shirts in my closet. I am not wearing my expensive high quality PC shirts to a back yard barbecue, taking the dog to the park, etc... But I am fine with putting on an Indochino button down with jeans and not worrying about it, because I paid 33-60 bucks (on sale) for them. PC shirts are for business, church, nice dinner out, with blazers and suits.

I would say it took me three visits to the Indochino store near me to get my first shirt to a point of being wearable. I think this is a key as their online support is terrible, and the folks in store always tried to get it resolved.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 107 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 107 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads