• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In this thread we ***** about customer service

Zamb

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Good grief.

The crazy this about this story, and not mentioned in the posts above, is that he likely bought the coat at a 50% discount since End recently had a sale. I feel bad for stores/ brands who have to deal with these kinds of customers. You make the least money off them, but they're the biggest hassle. They take up the most of your time, energy, and resources. And if you don't give them everything they want, they'll raise a big stink on the internet in hopes of ruining your reputation.

There should be a thread against customers like this. Shame them, not the store.

Incidentally, the asshat who probably returned the coat after taking off the tags, is cut from the same cloth as the OP.

THIS,

Before I read this thread and saw your post this was exactly my thoughts.
there are legitimate reasons to make a complaint regarding a store, apparently this is not one of them.
sometimes there is no way of a store defending against this. its crazy, and to think he joined here TODAY and this complaint is his first post...............

IChen

Reaction score
THIS,

Before I read this thread and saw your post this was exactly my thoughts.
there are legitimate reasons to make a complaint regarding a store, apparently this is not one of them.
sometimes there is no way of a store defending against this. its crazy, and to think he joined here TODAY and this complaint is his first post...............

Some customers are and will never be happy.

Zamb

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Some customers are and will never be happy.
Indeed,
this year for us at Zfactorie we are doing everything to improve the customer experience, ESPECIALLY the US market, but in doing that we also know we will not be able to please everyone.
I feel a lot of pain for small stores, people expect the same experiences from small stores as they get from multi million dollar making enterprises. its not always possible and when they don't get it they have a huge fit

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, I keep some tags/packaging, just because they are cool and interesting, and a lot of what I do is about branding. I really like the Carol Christian Poell, MA+, and Hender Scheme packaging, for example - they mesh very well with the brand image and story.

Just before Christmas, I ordered a pair of Hender Scheme slip ons from a Japanese Rakuten store. They didn't send it for a bit, and they are are store that usually sends very quickly, so I asked if the shoes were en route. They informed me that the only pair left were a display model and had some scuffs on the soles, and sent me a picture, and asked if this was okay. Seeing that these are shoes, and scuffs on soles will happen with the first wear not on carpet, I said, "Of course". And they sent the shoes. I think that some stores are better about telling customers about miniscule and frankly, for 99% of the population, immaterial defects. That said, for the 1%, these things can weigh heavily.

In this case, I feel that the OP is being unreasonable. You cannot expect some sort of compensation for missing tags. You can expect that the store would take a return, though frankly, even that is on the generous side for sales goods, which most people accept as is, barring something that makes it unwearable or very costly to repair (so, not a loose thread or even a loose seam, but actual tears, rips, broken seams, and discoloration). And yes, End Clothing doesn't always have the best customer service (I've been on the receiving end of bad service myself, and my case was much more aggregious - I returned a defective product, and they accused me of breaking it myself, though the return was postmarked exactly one day after receipt.) However, I'll still buy from them if the price was right.

In this case, I would advise the OP to return the coat, since it seems obvious that he won't enjoy it. Whether we feel that his complaint is trivial or not is immaterial. It apparently does impinge on his contentment with the product. That said, that store is definitely not to blame here, and doesn't owe the customer anything other than to accept the return. For webstores, I apply the "what would happen IRL" test. And in this case, if you go a store and you point out that the tags (not on the piece of clothing itself) are missing, no one is going to give you a discount.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And fwiw, I find the that worst customers are either older (50s+, usually), or quite young (under 25, maybe?). In between, the entitlement of youth has rubbed off, and the crotchetiness of age has not yet set in.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
People routinely bring damaged leather goods into luxury boutiques asking for free repairs 2+ years later when they weren't even purchased from said boutique.

IChen

Reaction score
People routinely bring damaged leather goods into luxury boutiques asking for free repairs 2+ years later when they weren't even purchased from said boutique.

This doesn't happen often with young people, besides belt customers. This more routinely happens with older clients who obviously have old stuff that they didn't take care of. The older clients, at least in my experience along with the Indian clients, are the rudest and most hassle. Whether sale price isn't discount enough or wear and tear, they often have something to complain about. And I absolutely hate people who want us to price match sale even though they bought before on full price.

I've only dealt with 3-4 select young clients who are maybe 16 years old and....well have extremely rich parents. I'll give 1 person credit since he keeps buying from us even though we did...sort of cause his parent's divorce but that's another story...

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What you said is pretty true (SF bay area). Also for a lot of "average" people, more expensive means indestructible or lifetime warranty.

yoshimagikmagik

Reaction score
It's never the young or millennials. They know what they're getting. It's always the older clients. I'm not racist, but it's also commonly the Indian clients.

They always buy on discount, want everything new brought in, never tried on, brand new with tags in a new box. Not sure why tags are even important unless you're buying something to then resell, or you're just an odd person that collects tags.

It's really really bad when you also get clients who make hassles over small things like tags. Or if anything happens to the product like wear and tear, they cry that it's a defect and they want a brand new piece. If you give them the wrong answer like I do, they go on the internet to ruin your reputation or they call corporate and your job as a retail person is in jeopardy.

Dude, pro-tip, anytime you're about to say something that follows "I'm not a racist but", just don't say it. First of all, your information is anecdotal and it's not necessarily true about Indian Americans (full disclosure, I am Indian American). Second, even if it were true that certain groups are more likely to follow a certain behavior than others, 1.) you don't know the underlying reasons and 2.) it serves no value to bring this up other than to otherize that group of people.

I know this is a clothing forum and not a political one, but that comment was out of line.

IChen

Reaction score
Dude, pro-tip, anytime you're about to say something that follows "I'm not a racist but", just don't say it. First of all, your information is anecdotal and it's not necessarily true about Indian Americans (full disclosure, I am Indian American). Second, even if it were true that certain groups are more likely to follow a certain behavior than others, 1.) you don't know the underlying reasons and 2.) it serves no value to bring this up other than to otherize that group of people.

I know this is a clothing forum and not a political one, but that comment was out of line.

While fair enough, same thing when people are putting it about young clients caring about tags or old. Sure you can make it as Race is bigger than age. But still, we're grouping and making assumptions, sure you can say it's out of line and some Indian clients are very nice, based on experiences.

ChronBong

Reaction score
This doesn't happen often with young people, besides belt customers. This more routinely happens with older clients who obviously have old stuff that they didn't take care of. The older clients, at least in my experience along with the Indian clients, are the rudest and most hassle. Whether sale price isn't discount enough or wear and tear, they often have something to complain about. And I absolutely hate people who want us to price match sale even though they bought before on full price.

I've only dealt with 3-4 select young clients who are maybe 16 years old and....well have extremely rich parents. I'll give 1 person credit since he keeps buying from us even though we did...sort of cause his parent's divorce but that's another story...

yea its true, very hard to respect indian people in general . ive had a lot of bad experiences with them...i know my buddy hates dealing with the majority of them as a salesperson.

yoshimagikmagik

Reaction score
@IChen your comments are problematic. First off, you're engaging in whataboutism where you're trying to deflect one thing problematic that you're doing with something potentially problematic that others are doing. That doesn't change the underlying thing you're doing.

Secondly, while it's not great to engage in age-ism, it is vastly different from race. For one, age effects everyone and so is not as otherizing as race is (we're all going to be fifty at some point in time if we're lucky). For two, discriminating on the basis of entire generations is a much larger group that has a much stronger agency to defend itself than something like a minority. For three, race has a much more fraught history than age. Honestly, comparing race and age is trivializing race in a highly offensive way to the extent that I don't even want to be spelling this out to you but I have anyway.

And @ChronBong , I don't know if you meant that as a joke or not, but either way, it wasn't funny and that was a grotesque and racist thing to say. Seriously gross. But I guess I'm not worth respecting anyways so how does it matter right?

ChronBong

Reaction score
ok im saying it as in my experience with those kinds of people when it comes to fashion, he is right tho...they are often the rudest and most demanding of all .

they also show lack of respect, they feel like they own you something cuz they bought something...

anyways, im not going to apologize for what i agreed with him...it's a fact. everybody is a little racist, admit it.

im not even white, im actually chinese so i always show respect first, even ground. its just a major turn off when people behave like they own u and just walk all over you. it's a big sign of disrespect.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads