• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In Between a Long and a Regular in a Suit

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At 6'2, I'm always steered to a long when suit shopping. I've noticed, however, that they have to trim an inch off the cuffs and the jacket seems to be just a touch on the long side. I've tried on regular and the sleeves are just a touch too short and the length is close, but on the shorter side.

What do others in the 6'0 - 6'2 range typically do? Are there some cuts/makes where the regular is longer or the long is shorter? (say that quickly three times . . . ). Do you simply size down to a regular and have the sleeves lengthened? If so, how much can the sleeves typically be lengthened?

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Long and Regular rarely has much to do with the sleeve length, but rather the jacket length, which is much more difficult to alter. The jacket sleeves are cheap and easy to alter, and you should expect to alter the sleeve length on pretty much ever jacket you buy, just as with trousers (jackets often come with unfinished sleeves for this reason).

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm 6'4" but I try to avoid having to lengthen sleeves. So naturally I go for the long. But depending on which brands you're looking at some longs fit like regulars, some regulars fit like longs only in the sleeves, etc. Since I mainly shop online I make sure to get measurements and generally know what will work for me.

Which brands have you tried?

dks202

Reaction score
Jacket length not sleeve length is what you should go by. Sleeves will almost always need some altering. Now, if only someone would only bring back the ML ......

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm 6'4" but I try to avoid having to lengthen sleeves. So naturally I go for the long. But depending on which brands you're looking at some longs fit like regulars, some regulars fit like longs only in the sleeves, etc. Since I mainly shop online I make sure to get measurements and generally know what will work for me.
Which brands have you tried?

I've been pretty loyal to the Brooks Brothers 1818 Fitzgerald cut because it is such a great fit in the chest, shoulders and waist of the jacket and the pants only need an inch taken out of the waist (43L jacket, 35 inch waist). I've tried Hickey Freeman and HSM gold trumpeter, but the jackets are too boxy and the pants need 2-3 inches taken out of the waist and seat, which I can say from experience does not look that great. Maybe I'm nitpicking, but I've begun to notice that the BB jacket is on the long side of acceptable (hangs a little past the ass and to the middle knuckles of my hand). Combine this with the higher button point of the jacket and it looks like too much length between the top button and the bottom of the jacket.

Any recommendations on an athletic cut regular that fits like a long?

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jacket length not sleeve length is what you should go by. Sleeves will almost always need some altering. Now, if only someone would only bring back the ML ......

But if the sleeves are too short, can they realistically be lengthened another 1/2 inch or so?

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The length your describing sounds ideal...

Post a pick of your current suit.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've been pretty loyal to the Brooks Brothers 1818 Fitzgerald cut because it is such a great fit in the chest, shoulders and waist of the jacket and the pants only need an inch taken out of the waist (43L jacket, 35 inch waist).  I've tried Hickey Freeman and HSM gold trumpeter, but the jackets are too boxy and the pants need 2-3 inches taken out of the waist and seat, which I can say from experience does not look that great.  Maybe I'm nitpicking, but I've begun to notice that the BB jacket is on the long side of acceptable (hangs a little past the ass and to the middle knuckles of my hand).  Combine this with the higher button point of the jacket and it looks like too much length between the top button and the bottom of the jacket.

Any recommendations on an athletic cut regular that fits like a long?

Brands that I have tried were Zegna, Paul Stuart (comes in regular, tall and something in between) Isaia, Hickey Freeman, Samuelsohn, etc, but I'm not athletically built so YMMV.

Last edited:

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The length your describing sounds ideal...
Post a pick of your current suit.

Meant to say middle knuckles on my fingers (about where my thumbnail is), which is about an inch below ******. I'm not in a suit today, but will try to get some pictures Monday.

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To me that sounds about right. However without pictures I'm just shooting in the dark.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To me that sounds about right. However without pictures I'm just shooting in the dark.

You may be right. My issue may have more to do with the aesthetic of the high button point on the Fitzgerald cut combined with a jacket that is on the long side of acceptable (but still acceptable) on a guy who is 6'2. Or I may just be nitpicking now that I've figured out how to buy a suit that fits correctly everywhere else. I'm taking my daughters to a daddy/daughter dance this weekend so will get some pictures in a suit and post on Monday.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brands that I have tried were Zegna, Paul Stuart (comes in regular, tall and something in between) Isaia, Hickey Freeman, Samuelsohn, etc, but I'm not athletically built so YMMV.

I've tried on a Samuelsohn Gable jacket that fit very well in the chest, shoulders, etc., but did not look at the length at the time. I may have to try that if the regular is a little longer. Where's a good place to find a good selection of Samuelsohns?

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have all but given up on this Long / Regular business. I am 6'4" and got myself measured by my tailor to put a number to my ideal length. She measured me out and estimated that I should be 33" from top of collar all the way down to base (technically the Long / Regular border). I have tried 32.5" that worked better than 33.5", some jackets look perfect with 34" length. I am stumped with the length issue. A 33" jacket I tried on once worked out perfect, but the norm is 33" length does not work, not even close. If I play it safe and get the longer jackets length 34" - 35" it sometimes looks too long. Tough luck for me, perhaps nature is telling me I am not supposed to wear suits since none of them fit length wise the way I like. I look like a bufoon - I either am way to short or way too long, no imbetween :(

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member