• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Importance of designers?

christian

Reaction score
Can somebody explain the importance of fashion designers to our lives?

It seems that in mens wear, especially the more business oriented, everything is more or less the same. I don't appreciate the diffences when you have all these different designers producing suits. After all these years, you figure everything that could have been tried has already been done. And, what we have are simply classics, that have stood the test of time. It seems that everything has have either 2 or 3 buttons, etc.. To veer too off from these standards won't really improve anything.

I mean, it doesn't seem that hard when you have people like the Hilton Sisters and Puff Daddy claiming that they are also fashion designers, and starting their own clothing brands.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Can somebody explain the importance of fashion designers to our lives?

It seems that in mens wear, especially the more business oriented, everything is more or less the same. I don't appreciate the diffences when you have all these different designers producing suits. After all these years, you figure everything that could have been tried has already been done. And, what we have are simply classics, that have stood the test of time. It seems that everything has have either 2 or 3 buttons, etc.. To veer too off from these standards won't really improve anything.

I mean, it doesn't seem that hard when you have people like the Hilton Sisters and Puff Daddy claiming that they are also fashion designers, and starting their own clothing brands.
If Paris Hilton is a fashion designer than I'm the Queen of England.

Jon.

Leo Jay

Reaction score
Well, it's all about playing on people's desire to be associated with something other people find 'prestigious'. Most of us fall for it to some extent -- some of us simply develop increasingly higher levels of sophistication about the kind of prestige we succumb to.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thoroughly sick of having the discussion again. Just search through the old threads Christian. Jon, you are the Queen of England? Tell me what drag bar I need to go to to see this.
I don't know what would be more freighting: me in drag or you admitting that Paris Hilton actually is a fashion designer.

Jon.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MikeC,

You are not Lakshmi Mittal. I know this because I know who you are. MikeC is a a millionaire, and we both know Lakshmi Mittal, but he is not him. So stop pretending to be him, MikeC.

Hint to rest of forum: I am going to host a new reality t.v. show soon too. I may be jumping on the bandwagon, but at least I don't have bad hair, unlike Mark and Donald, and none of my companies are going bankrupt. And you may have bought something at one of my (nearly naughty word) superstores recently. Thanks.

rws

Reaction score
MikeC is a a millionaire, and we both know Lakshmi Mittal, but he is not him.
Goodness. If Mike C. isn't Lakshmi Mittal, then just who is Lakshmi Mittal?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads