• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I'm on an ECCO shoe kick

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
The conception that these "health shoes" are more comfortable is just a lie. Walking is not that strenuous.

I will respectfully have to disagree. See above.

Fit is the most important thing.
I couldn't agree with you more. But given long periods on my feet, I will choose a perfectly fitting rubber-soled shoe over the same in leather.

Again, this is based on my own experiences with lower-end "good shoes" such as AE. Maybe I'd change my mind with some C&Js, Lobb, bespoke, etc.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
But it's all a BIG, BIG LIE. (by that I mean the whole shoe industry, very interesting article BTW)

Provoking article, makes some sense, but would not change much anything in the fashion or sports shoe world.

Bare foot will work for normal walking/running motions (duh) but it will not help if your motion are not what your feet designed for. e.g., twisting in golf, grips in golf/soccer, impact absorption in basketball, etc. Or even the simplest function of shoes - to protect your feet from harm.

Originally Posted by Tarmac
The conception that these "health shoes" are more comfortable is just a lie. Walking is not that strenuous. Fit is the most important thing.

Duh. Fit is the most important thing for sure. But playing certain sports without shoe would be like suicide even when people don't step on you with cleats/spikes.

jjgold

Reaction score
Really no c'mon, this whole stinking thread is a joke right?
plain.gif

Morgan

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm sure it's a joke given that "Frank Rizzo" was one of the pseudonyms employed by the Jerky Boys when they made those hilarious prank calls.

Speaking of which, I had that recording on a crappy nth generation dubbed cassette back around 1989 or so. I was at summer camp and my whole bunk used to sit around listening to it during rest periodf after lunch. I was 12. Good times. God that **** was funny.

Zegnamtl

Reaction score
Ecco have their time and place, I have two pair,
I wore them the other night, 9 hours on my feet, on the city streets,
chasing the #@% gangs who did this:

I was the only guy wearing polished brown shoes....
but that is another story.

Frank Rizzo

Reaction score
Some of you are taking this thread where it doesn't need to go.

So let me just restate my opinion so I can make myself clear.

I've tried wearing Johnston & Murphey's, Florshiems, Allen Edmonds when I have to stand for long periods of time. It causes me a LOT of discomfort. I'm able to wear ECCO's when standing for long periods of time without any problems.

I know that ECCO doesn't make the most stylish shoes, but the two pictures I displayed above are as close as I'm going to get and I happen to like them. When they are shined up nice, they look great IMO.

I also happen to like their athletic shoes. But I guess I won't waste any more time on this because I know where it'll go and what I will be accused of.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think this thread shows that there is an opportunity for one of you enterprising individuals to make a fantastic product, since there is an obvious niche that needs to be filled.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^
fing02[1].gif

Skanstull

Reaction score
Ecco is a fine Danish shoe company that caters to another crowd than the Style Forum hangarounds.

I own several pairs and quality has been good. I've walked enourmous distances with them. They have all been more comfortable than any of my Crockett & Jones. Actually, my Eccos have been more comfortable than any other brand of shoes I've ever owned.

Too bad their design is so sub-par. The 'Ecco' text on newer models are hideous.

Regardless, I wear my fine English shoes to work everyday, and only once in a while I wish in the afternoon that I should have put my Eccos on instead...

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My boss dresses very classic, mostly RL oxfords and dress pants and he has a pair of brown shoes with an amazing patina. I saw them in his car when I was loading up some stuff (I'm his assistant) and decided to see what brand they were to be astonished that they were ecco. Not sure how long he's had them, but seems like years from the looks of them.

Frank Rizzo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Skanstull
Ecco is a fine Danish shoe company that caters to another crowd than the Style Forum hangarounds.

I own several pairs and quality has been good. I've walked enourmous distances with them. They have all been more comfortable than any of my Crockett & Jones. Actually, my Eccos have been more comfortable than any other brand of shoes I've ever owned.

Too bad their design is so sub-par. The 'Ecco' text on newer models are hideous.

Regardless, I wear my fine English shoes to work everyday, and only once in a while I wish in the afternoon that I should have put my Eccos on instead...

This is a fine post.

Again, I don't think ECCO makes the most attractive shoes on the market. But my job has my dogs barkin' loud at the end of the day and I just couldn't take it anymore. I used to wear the Johnston & Murphy shoe "Melton" and it was killing me.

If anyone had actually read my post and looked at the pictures I posted before calling me names and trying to hurt my feelings, you'd see that it's a fine shoe for the purpose I have described. Would I wear these to a black tie dinner? No. Do I say that they are the best LOOKING shoe? No. Do I think they are the most comfortable dress shoe I can wear for 10+ hours at a time? YES!

And part of the charm of these shoes is how they FEEL, not so much how they look. Unless you are familiar with them, you probably don't know what I'm talking about. In which case, you don't really serve any purpose by posting in this thread.

corskc

Reaction score
Ecco makes very great comfortable shoes. Much as most of their shoes are no longer made in Denmark, the quality has not nosedived, and they still make great shoes.

Admittedly, the style of most of their shoes might not go too well for much more dressier occasions but they make a pair of great everyday work shoes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads