• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

iGent approval for hacking pockets needed

p.henrik

Reaction score
I have this windowpane tweed that I'm planning to have a SC made out of. I was thinking a hacking inspired jacket with hacking pockets and ticket pocket. I would deviate from the traditional hacking style by having side vents and a 3 roll 2 (can't stand a real 3 button). I'm afraid there won't be much actual riding in it.

I've read Manton's proposed ban on hacking pockets, so was hoping to get some iGent groupthink support.

Other suggestions on styling also welcome.

Cheers

emu3ytus.jpg

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It is very rare that I see hacking pockets that look good.

Chase H

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
It is very rare that I see hacking pockets that look good.
Isn't this one of the few occasions they're acceptable, though? It's a very sport-y sport coat, no?

Personally, I'm a fan.

Last edited:

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Your comment infers correctness of application for this cloth. My opinion is based how they look on the jacket when being worn.
Most of the time they are positioned too low at an awkward angle. They work when they complement the waist shape, the skirt , button stance and the shape of the jacket. If it doesn't all work together they stand out like a sore thumb. It's sort of like getting the stars to align in the most opportune way to make them look good. I only make them for one client and they look fantastic with the cut of his clothes and he's the exception.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I dislike hacking pockets and besom pockets.

Always a shame when a nice suit shows up on the Bay or B&S with them. A deal breaker for me.

p.henrik

Reaction score
My inspiration for this style was something like the jacket from Cordings below (bar the high lapel roll)
JK313GRNLV_5_1.jpg

If not this style, what do you think would go well with this fabric and my body type (roughly 36L/38R). I recently had a 2 button + patch pockets made (that you helpfully provided fitting advise on, Despos) as shown below, but was hoping for something slightly different this time. Huntsman inspired 1-button maybe?
ea4a9dbc_PB251233.jpeg

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Stick with patch pockets. They look much better.

Who made the jacket? I like it

Nice look shirt and chinos as well. Details?

Last edited:

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gotta agree with Despos. For some reason I think hacking pockets make guys look fat in many cases. It must be the lines they create.
Also, they usually look great on mannequins, but not on real bodies. Go figure...

Last edited:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Last edited:

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hacking pockets are awesome with window pane tweed. Go for it!

p.henrik

Reaction score

Stick with patch pockets. They look much better.
Who made the jacket? I like it
Nice look shirt and chinos as well. Details?

Jacket made by Kuala Lumpur tailor Ah Loke. Some more pics in the tailor's fit feed back thread
http://www.styleforum.net/t/265924/...-and-alteration-suggestions/2175#post_5922533
Similar jacket in tweed just above the post. Would be using him for this one too.

Shirt is a PRL custom fit OCBD and chinos too embarrassed to admit where from.

I'm struggling to find any good pics of a person wearing hacking pockets rather than a mannequin (maybe confirming Despos' and RDiaz' comments). I did notice Luciano Barbera wearing them though.

Perhaps the pro hacking camp can show some good pics of the pockets in action?

Zauberer

Reaction score
Go ahead and get the hacking pockets. I don't care for them, but it's a subjective thing and works with your fabric especially if you have a 'country' thing in mind for the jacket. A "proposed ban" isn't the stupidest thing I've ever heard, but it's keeping fair company with it.

If I'm going to make any recommendation to you it would be to dump the idea of a ticket pocket with hacking pockets on your country style jacket. What do you have tickets to that you're going to ride your horse to? Not that there has to be a functional reason for an aesthetic feature, but the main reason people have been putting ticket pockets on their jackets is because it signals a bespoke make and gives the appearance of weath and priviledge. However, things have moved on over time and ticket pockets are taking on the look of an affectation of someone behind the curve. People of genuine weath and priviledge don't carry tickets in pockets, do they? They don't even have tickets. They're smuggled in the back door of whatever event/venue and wait in a VIP lounge for the whatever it is everyone else has tickets for, right? But if you like the look for your jacket, I'm not stopping you....

....or initiating a ban.
sarcasm.gif

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Go ahead and get them if you like'em. No one outside SF will even notice the difference.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Personally, I prefer hacking pockets to the now ubiquitous, iGent-approved patch pockets. Both can be done well or poorly, so get what you like. I think that Cordings coat looks very smart.

My one suggestion is to consider how much shape you want in the coat -- to work well, IMO, hacking pockets need a coat with a good amount of shaping at the waist. Otherwise they can look tacked on. For a coat with straighter sides/more American styling, patch or straight flaps might be better options.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member