• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If I reject LSE for KCL am I marsupialed?

tinsel

Reaction score
Going to LSE means you are going down a near statistically certain path of a stressful, expensive and atomised university experience.

Academic powerhouse universities are where you go for postgrad. Undergrad is for growing up and honing social skills.

What makes you think KCL will be fun? Compared to LSE maybe but not compared to any other comparable university outside of London. I'm interested to hear your reasons.

Last edited:

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Because I know lots of people who go there who say its fun and it seems like a normal uni, not a business school, most of them are also dumb as **** so it can't be too stressful. Aware me on comparable unis outside of London other then Oxbridge, I know I could go to like nottingham or birmingham, but im not getting a good job outside of the UK with that. Not doing a post grad, gonna get my chartered accountancy after uni. I'm not spending $150k to hone my social skills.

Last edited:

tinsel

Reaction score
How did you get the $150k figure??

This is the list for supposed economics rankings of UK unis
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Economics

Sort by the graduate prospects column you will find quite a few competitive unis that would be more fun.

KCL is a fine uni, but my honest advice to you would be not to go to uni in London if you have another comparable choice outside of it. The experiences in and out of London will be very different, you will feel much more like a student at a campus/ small town uni, and you will inevitably meet a lot more people as well. This might not be too big a problem if you are extremely outgoing, but the danger with London unis is that because of the sprawl you can find that you settle into a group of friends quickly and stop making the effort to meet new people each year. That's not to say you cant have a great time, but going to uni outside of London will be a unique experience, whereas uni in London has less of that. A lot of the advantages of uni life in London you will experience doing your ACA because you will most likely be flat sharing and there is a huge amount of college study time. Plus you will be getting paid a good amount by then which is extremely helpful when it comes to living in London.

If you are really serious about your career choose LSE. But from the experience of many many people I know currently doing the ACA at big four firms, going to a good non London uni will not really hinder your chances. Accountancy is not that competitive. I mean KPMG recruit 2000 graduate a year for example (not all accountants but the large bulk will be).

Also you may be able to get a first/ high two one where similar work would get you less at LSE.

I'm not really sure why I've bothered giving this much advice to a stranger, but I hope it helps.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe the proper term is mentally challenged and yes, you would be if you forgo LSE in order to attend a more "fun" university. LSE will open a lot more doors for you in the future in the not-especially-unlikely case that you later decide that you are interested in something other than accountancy. There may be good reasons to turn down LSE, but your reason is not one of them. I second most of otc's post #15 -- go to the best university you can and don't necessarily rely on it alone as your source of fun.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's about $50k a year for me because im a foreign student well like $35k + $15k for housing a year. Only 2 unis I can go to now are KCL and LSE, have applied and UCL and Bristol rejected me. I could wait out another year, but I don't really feel like that. I really don't think ill mind living in London, I am very out going and social and I do know a lot of people at uni there already. Main thing im worried about is the last you wrote about the degree being harder, but I think KCL will be just as hard as its pure maths.

ShoeShopperJ

Reaction score
I absolutely loved LSE. I wish I could have earned a second degree from LSE instead of attending law school.

From my perspective, my answer is easy - yes. If you have any questions, send me a message.

Good luck.

Sir Humphrey Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
London's a shithole but the only reason to go to KCL rather than LSE is that you want to go party in Bermondsey. The whole place is full of foreigners from all countries so you won't feel left out.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah my sister went to high holborn for her first year, got a flat for her second and she tried to get back into high holborn for her 3rd year because she preferred it. Realised they are the only dorm with a kitchen so i'll be going there, do not want ****** dorm food.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads