• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If I hate law school, will I hate lawyering?

oldseed

Reaction score
cool thread. looks like we've drifted off topic into general meandering about the law, biglaw, littlelaw, outhouse, inhouse, etc.

but i think the general gist can be agreed upon: now that your'e in law school, and partway done, and fully funded, you should definitely finish. easy gain, little to lose, still young.

and there's always this little tidbit: you might end up loving law even though you began it with no intention to love it. that happened to me. kinda like falling in love with a friend who became a best friend who suddenly is making you orgasm every night. just saying.

oh, biglaw is okay. i did it for a bit. now i do personal injury in a "small" firm that probably has some of the highest margins in the business. i don't know why there's this negative perception of p.i. law. it's a well-kept secret that pi lawyers probably work the least and make the most, in my not so humbly opinion...

seed

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oldseed
cool thread. looks like we've drifted off topic into general meandering about the law, biglaw, littlelaw, outhouse, inhouse, etc.

but i think the general gist can be agreed upon: now that your'e in law school, and partway done, and fully funded, you should definitely finish. easy gain, little to lose, still young.

and there's always this little tidbit: you might end up loving law even though you began it with no intention to love it. that happened to me. kinda like falling in love with a friend who became a best friend who suddenly is making you orgasm every night. just saying.

oh, biglaw is okay. i did it for a bit. now i do personal injury in a "small" firm that probably has some of the highest margins in the business. i don't know why there's this negative perception of p.i. law. it's a well-kept secret that pi lawyers probably work the least and make the most, in my not so humbly opinion...

seed

really? what pi jobs pay well? and I am being 100% serious because I am very interested.. I have done some pi work with certain forclosure clinics and the work is very rewarding but from everyone I have talked with it is pretty much impossible to work in public interest area if you have $150k in loans.... am i wrong here?

thanks

yerfdog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pg600rr
really? what pi jobs pay well? and I am being 100% serious because I am very interested.. I have done some pi work with certain forclosure clinics and the work is very rewarding but from everyone I have talked with it is pretty much impossible to work in public interest area if you have $150k in loans.... am i wrong here? thanks
by PI, oldseed meant Personal Injury, not Public Interest. actually i've never seen public interest abbreviated PI, because personal injury got there first...

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yerfdog
by PI, oldseed meant Personal Injury, not Public Interest.

actually i've never seen public interest abbreviated PI, because personal injury got there first...

makes more sense... iwas hoping he meant public interest..... oh well

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Good luck to everyone taking TEH BAR tomorrow!

And remember, if you hate the bar, you're normal. If you don't, there's something wrong with you.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
Good luck to everyone taking TEH BAR tomorrow!

And remember, if you hate the bar, you're normal. If you don't, there's something wrong with you.

True, but if you puke in the bathroom, you're a *****.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
True, but if you puke in the bathroom, you're a *****.

If you're not mayor by 29, you're nothin'.

JERSEY REPRESENT

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
If you're not mayor by 29, you're nothin'.

JERSEY REPRESENT

And if you're not indicted by 32, GTFO of my state and go be mayor somewhere else.

samblau

Reaction score
I was in Boston this weekend. My friend is a 1st year at a large firm there. On Saturday he worked all morning and in to the early afternoon but left because he had friends in town. His blackberry was constantly going off and he said "I have tons of work to do but I hate it so much and think that they are just waiting to fire all the jr. level people". This is after working until 11 or later most nights over the past few weeks, 7 days a week. He admitted to us that he wold quit tomorrow if another firm or government entity would pay him 40% of his current salary, but of course no one will. He also stated that he would undoubtedly wake up at 4AM to finish his work on Sunday (meeting in the office at noon) and admitted that he has cried at work, and he is far from the first male associate I know to do this. Every girl in BigLaw I know has broken down at one point or another.

Another friend went out and started his own practice in suburban PA three years after he graduated. His cash flow problems are bad and his work flow varies. Even then much of what he does is not billable and/or takes far to long to justify the expense. That said he is much happier despite a high stress level and much less take home pay.

Both joked that they would return to school in a second if they could. So yes, if you hate law school, chances are you will hate practicing, especially if you are in it for the money.

the.chikor

Reaction score
Its an acquired taste-kind of like beer. At first you think, WTF did I get myself into? Once you start to learn the trade, you begin to enjoy it more.

poorlawstudent

Reaction score
frown.gif

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Am in law school and am enjoying the heck out of it. All I can add to this thread.

rjakapeanut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dexterhaven
I know, I know. "Not another law thread!" But, really, this board is so full of lawyers who usually offer such good advice, I had to.

To the point: I'm a former liberal arts major who drifted into law school and have finished my first year. I am now clerking for a judge. And I hate it all. The boring reading material, the superfluous classes, the asinine research, the constricted writing, and even most of my classmates/co-workers. All of it!

I was wise enough to opt for my in-state school, which gave me scholarships to cover all tuition, books, and even partial living expenses. So I'm not "financially committed." But I hesitate leaving because I tell myself that lawyering will be much different than law school. But is it?

There are many areas of the law, of course. I have been researching them and will continue to do so. But as of this moment, I have found none that appeal to me. I have attempted to contact lawyers in various fields, but most of them are so busy that they forget that they agreed to speak with me, and so I get nowhere.

not necessarily but if you don't like reading, writing, or researching you may not like lawyering.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads