• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I should never have entered Esquire's BDRM contest.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by luftvier
Word on the street is that engineers don't have it so good nowadays...

True ... But having (mostly) engineer-type friends makes up for that ... atleast I don't have to listen to boring lawyer-types who make sweeping generalizations of things they know barely anything about! :p

OffTheRack

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
If you don't consider Kirkland an elite firm, then your notion of "elite" must cover an exceedingly small number of firms. It is telling that in terms of compensation, Kirkland is the only firm aside from Wachtell to pay outsize, above market bonuses. Whether a firm has an official billable hour requirement is hardly a measure of anything when they all have de facto requirements anyway. Also, the vast majority of Vault 100 firms pay lockstep compensation. What universe are you coming from?
Paying outsize bonuses is just more evidence of the fact that K&E is late to the elite law firm party. And Ken Starr was a partner there, so that takes them down a notch in my book. I'm not saying they're not a great a firm, just not in the top tier. See below with regards to your view on lockstep compensation. Your statement is just not correct, as noted. Also, not having a billables requirement means getting your bonus no matter what, and that you don't have to worry about hoarding billables as some have mentioned. Not bad for one's peace of mind. I never said you had to work less.
Originally Posted by crazyquik
Perhaps you should tip better. I don't mean to turn this into a law firm pissing match/dick measuring contest/etc but the vast majority of Vault 100 firms do not have lockstep partner compensation. Additionally, the firms offering lockstep associate compensation is declining (not to the 'dwindling' level yet).
Originally Posted by Bull
LOL ok. If we're talking about the highly subjective and meaningless world of "elitism," then fine. But K&E poaches partners from elite institutions all the time, just like they poached Skadden NY's two lead M&A guys last year, just to do it. Elitism is 80s ****. Catholic social clubs and Episcopalian social clubs and mint jelup. Rack of lamb and pissing on redwoods and secret handshakes and ****. Phooey. The 2000s are about $. It's about the guys who weren't invited to the party showing up with a model on each arm, and throwing the keys to the Panamera to the valet. Personally, I can see the allure of elitism, but I could give a **** about such elusive, squishy criteria. The dollar bill doth not lie.
Of course they would poach from Skadden--they have about 8 million partners, not really sure why that shop seems so elite to you, or why its impressive to poach their guys. Skadden's partner turnover is high, especially compared to their "peer" firms.
Originally Posted by srivats
True ... But having (mostly) engineer-type friends makes up for that ... atleast I don't have to listen to boring lawyer-types who make sweeping generalizations of things they know barely anything about! :p
I've certainly never heard an engineer claim to know about pretty much everything just because he can do some math.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by OffTheRack
Originally Posted by srivats
I've certainly never heard an engineer claim to know about pretty much everything just because he can do some math.

But they don't use false logic either
eh.gif
. He never claimed that engineers know everything, he only said that engineers don't talk about things they don't know about.

my_alias

Reaction score
I will just leave this here:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
It's okay. I have no shame, so the more they make fun of me, the more my ego grows, and the more powerful I become.

the more you ignore
foo.gif

the closer he gets
you're wasting your time.

OffTheRack

Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
But they don't use false logic either
eh.gif
. He never claimed that engineers know everything, he only said that engineers don't talk about things they don't know about.

First of all, you didn't understand my statement... I'll try to be a bit more direct.

It was implied that lawyers are prone to speak about things as experts despite actually having no real knowledge of the particular subject, yet engineers do not do this. I was refuting the claim that engineers do not speak to things they don't know about, implying through sarcasm that engineers often assert knowledge about all things technical because of their belief that their math skills afford them some general expertise.

I never suggested that the OP claimed engineers know everything, and I'm not really sure how you could have thought I did.

Secondly, you didn't actually accuse me of "false logic." Rather, you accused me of a reading comprehension mistake, which leads me to believe you're not really familiar with logic yourself.

Perhaps you're neither a lawyer nor an engineer?

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dude, you try too hard.
Originally Posted by OffTheRack
First of all, you didn't understand my statement... I'll try to be a bit more direct. It was implied that lawyers are prone to speak about things as experts despite actually having no real knowledge of the particular subject, yet engineers do not do this. I was refuting the claim that engineers do not speak to things they don't know about, implying through sarcasm that engineers often assert knowledge about all things technical because of their belief that their math skills afford them some general expertise. I never suggested that the OP claimed engineers know everything, and I'm not really sure how you could have thought I did.
^ See apropos's response.
Secondly, you didn't actually accuse me of "false logic." Rather, you accused me of a reading comprehension mistake, which leads me to believe you're not really familiar with logic yourself.
Srivat essentially said "Engineers don't talk about thing they don't know". You wanted to disagree with him, meaning you wanted to negate that argument, thus it should have been: "There exists engineer who talk about thing they don't know". Your actual statement was: "There exists no engineer who knows everything". This statement is not even close to the one you intended. Hence, your logic was false. Understand? No? Then I agree that you have reading comprehension problem.
Perhaps you're neither a lawyer nor an engineer?
I'm both (seriously, try to think of a profession that requires both degrees, do try).

OffTheRack

Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
Nice try at a save, but "pretty much everything" ≠ "knowledge about all things technical".

Your words, not mine.

Not really sure how that point, while valid--my original statement was harsher in its critique of engineers--addresses my response AT ALL, as it IN NO WAY challenges the fact that I was refuting what the OP claimed about engineers, rather than, as I was accused of, ascribing to the OP the claim that engineers in fact know everything.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I can't think of a worse thread in recent MC history. Truly sh1tty.

+1

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member