• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I needed a new cell phone but wasn't sure what to get

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A little background. I have been using blackberrys for the last 5 years or so. After waiting, waiting more waiting for RIM to bring out a decent product I decided to leave them for good. The new Z & Q look nice but I'm gone. C Ya!

I am off contract but still grandfathered in with AT&T's unlimited calls/data plan. I'm not much of an app person, basically use my phone for calls, texting, random photos and music (I have bought about 4 ipods but own none. Go figure). The top choices in no particular order were:
  • iphone
  • Galaxy 3
  • Lumia 920

Iphone
Pros:

Ease of use
Many popular apps
Accessories galore

Cons

Unibody construction
No SD card slot
Itunes
Apple's philosophy about knowing what is best for the consumer
It's the Honda Accord of cel phones

Samsung Galaxy GS3
Pros:

Slick interface
Big screen
SD card slot
Decent camera
Easy to root

Cons

Almost too light - feels cheap
Android has a new flavour every other month it seems
Android phones tend to get hardware updates relatively quickly leing the user with an old looking phone

Lumia 920
Cons

Feels solid in the hand
Great stabilization for camera
Great screen with gorgeous colours

Cons

Unibody construction
No SD card slot
Unproven o/s
Fake picture fiasco (any pictures other than in low light were not very impressive)

In the end it seems I went off the deep end and chose something totally unexpected

Nokia-808-PureView-Red-White-Black7.jpg

Yes the Symbian monster 41 megapixel wonder, the Nokia 808. Why you might ask? It is the final Symbian phone from Nokia.

1. Feels solid in the hand
2. Pictures are the best in its class. The 8 mp pureview pics are gorgeous. Even gives lower price DSLRs a run for their money
3. Video recording is great, especially the sound.
4. SD card slot. I bought a 64 gig sd card as well
5. It reads just about anything you throw at it, audio or visual with no converting. Just drag & drop
6. Root access. I can customize to my heart is content
7. I will tire of it long before Nokia stops supporting Symbian (2015 or so)
8. For such a "low resolution screen", pictures and videos look just fine plus I can view in direct sunlight.
9. Unique factor

The only con I have that there is no videochat on skype, only voice calls. That is it.

I'm 4 days in and I'm lovin it

im-lovin-it_zps6c22d729.jpg

Last edited:

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Snapped a couple of pictures. Nothing fancy yet (copy image url into new window)

8534526642_917eedaf42_k.jpg

8533428753_05f56b2cbc_b.jpg

8534535050_da7ac724a2_k.jpg

Last edited:

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
41 megapixels? what kind of phone is that? it should be called a camera that can happen to make calls.

You're right! It's a quirky lil beast but is almost perfect for me however it could deal with more RAM. I briefly thought about getting a Galaxy phone as well as a Galaxy camera but I knew in my heard of hearts that the camera would either get forgotten at home/in the car or not fully charged when I needed the most. Not the case with this beast - it will always be with me. I might pick up a spare battery though

sidenote: Why don't phone manufacturers make phones with upgradable ram like computers? One would think it would be something the consumer would welcome with open arms

I think I need to read picture taking for dummies lol Started playing around with iso settings last night. These 2 pics were taken moments apart. Very grainy IMHO

8541647350_6931bbe037_k.jpg

8541647738_71f9a8d41c_k.jpg

Last edited:

willny

Reaction score
iPhone 5 or HTC One (March release) or Galaxy S4 (April I think)

All good phones and great cameras and capacities.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads