• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I need to join a club/organization in NYC. any ideas?

JSC437

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I need some advice. Hope you can help.

I am a 2nd year MBA student.... and once i complete this degree I am planning on applying to either Kennedy School of Government (Harvard) or Woodrow Wilson (Princeton) for a masters degree in public policy. However, those schools are really tough to get into and i need some advice on how i can enhance my application. I want to have a more well rounded application and i believe that i can achieve this by joining a social/philanthropic organization.

Here is my question

Can anyone suggest some national or NYC based organizations that i can join? What types of organizations are impressive to admissions people?

thanks for any/all help.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JSC4President
What types of organizations are impressive to admissions people?

Organizations that people join because they have a genuine interest in said organization, rather than an interest in gaining favor of admissions staff.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just a question - why did you pay for an MBA if you wanted to go into public policy eventually anyway?

JSC437

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zbromer
Organizations that people join because they have a genuine interest in said organization, rather than an interest in gaining favor of admissions staff.

i agree.

but how do you find out about organizations that would be of interest?

I was a member of mensa... i stopped that because it was stupid. I was a member of toastmasters... but i get scared of public speaking. and i was a boy scout when i was a kid. I was a member of Viktor Neiderhoffers libertarian club for a while.

however, i am looking for something interesting that i can contribute (and show that i am active in an organization).

dv3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Style Forvm, you've already done it!

Kidding aside...

Volunteer to tutor children. I did it through college and it can be enjoyable. There are plenty of opportunities and it shows you care about your community.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was a member of toastmasters... but i get scared of public speaking.

Isn't that a reason to join Toastmasters, not quit it?

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think joining any one of these organizations that other people in your position join just to put on their resume and say they did something makes admissions people's eyes roll.

I think what you should do instead is what others here have said - find something that interests you or think of some kind of issue that you feel strongly about, and volunteer or join an organization in that area. It would be more unique to say that you poured soup at a homeless shelter than to say you were a member of some random organization.

thewallychamp

Reaction score
Illuminati
stirpot.gif

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
valid point

Don't feel bad. I had public speaking too and have not bothered to join despite Thomas' encouragement.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't public speaking basically be a requirement of an MBA program? Aren't MBA students required to give a lot of presentations?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KingCaru