• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Simontuntelder

Reaction score
I'm very picky when it comes to the fit of the denim, and in my mind I have some ideas for the ideal fit for me. So I usually alter all of my jeans myself, but it's tiresome and I would like to buy them off the rack. Having them made at an affordable price would also be an option. I guess one could call it a slim 60s version of a pair of jeans.

Anyways my check list looks like this. If you know of any jeans that would fit the bill, please help me out and I'll send a lifetime's worth of good karma your way.

1. Raw denim.

2. Made in USA/Japan/UK/EU

Fit for a size 32" or 33" waist.

3. Highish Rise - 12"

4. Narrow hem - 7"

5. Comfortable seat and thigh - thigh around 12"

Those are the important ones. Stuff like nice zippers and hardware and a nice hefty denim would just be a major plus. Inseam isn't a concern either. I like my jeans cropped and usually hem them to anywhere between a 29-32" inseam.

Seriously, please help me out. I don't care about the price anymore I just want a pair of well-fitting jeans.

der koch

Reaction score
want to try wearing stacks dior homme style, but actual diors are a little out of my budget so I thought maybe nudie would be a good option, seeing as they carry sizes like 30/36. has anyone tried this(sorry if it sounds like a dumb question)? i am thinking maybe a 36" inseam of tight long john would make for a poor man's 17.5cm? thanks

i'm sure everyone knows these, but this is the kind of stacking i want

Last edited:

Reaction score
I'm very picky when it comes to the fit of the denim, and in my mind I have some ideas for the ideal fit for me. So I usually alter all of my jeans myself, but it's tiresome and I would like to buy them off the rack. Having them made at an affordable price would also be an option. I guess one could call it a slim 60s version of a pair of jeans.

Anyways my check list looks like this. If you know of any jeans that would fit the bill, please help me out and I'll send a lifetime's worth of good karma your way.

1. Raw denim.

3. Highish Rise - 12"

4. Narrow hem - 7"

Those are the important ones. Stuff like nice zippers and hardware and a nice hefty denim would just be a major plus. Inseam isn't a concern either. I like my jeans cropped and usually hem them to anywhere between a 29-32" inseam.

Seriously, please help me out. I don't care about the price anymore I just want a pair of well-fitting jeans.

Message Steven from Railcar Fine Goods, he may be able to help.

http://supertalk.superfuture.com/index.php/topic/130338-railcar-fine-goods/

TheSoonest

Reaction score

1. Raw denim.

3. Highish Rise - 12"

4. Narrow hem - 7"

Id look into Hartford denim company. Their 001 jean in size 31 seems like it'd be close to your measurements.

Dingusberry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My pair of ST-100x 3sixteen just arrived, and even when I sized 1 up, the jeans fit a little bit tight around the waist and thighs.

What's your best tips to stretch the waist and thighs? Does the waist and thighs stretch out if I wear sweatpants under the jeans?

Dingusberry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, thanks. Too sad it takes time :(

The jeans also smell something weird. Is it the smell of raw cotton? The smell reminds me of my other pair of raws which I have been wearing for 1 year without washing or soaking.

acinod

Reaction score
Where can I get some well-fitted raw denim? Would Take5 in Hong Kong be a good destination to try on some jeans, or should I have a look at APC, Naked & Famous or Nudie in New York? Or is there something already of good value here in Melbourne, Australia for me? (I know Incu sells raw denim: http://www.incu.com/shop-men/designer/natural-selection-denim/taper-jeans-blue-rain/)

Max budget is $200.

Thanks

So I just want to get back to my question just in case it was missed.

Also want to add that I hope the jeans could also be used in a business casual setting as well as casual.

Last edited:

crosswound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Air them out inside out in the sun. Febreeze might work to. Ive gone a year without washing those methods killed the smell

TheSoonest

Reaction score
So I just want to get back to my question just in case it was missed.

Also want to add that I hope the jeans could also be used in a business casual setting as well as casual.
i'd check out Up There Store in Melbourne...from what i hear they have a decent selection. there's also Ande Whall you can take a look at. Take 5 from what i've seen has a great selection so it's definitely worth visiting if youre in HK. if your'e going to be in NY i'd take a look at Self Edge and Blue in Green for some great denim options. There's also Jean Shop in NY too.

Last edited:

TheSoonest

Reaction score
My pair of ST-100x 3sixteen just arrived, and even when I sized 1 up, the jeans fit a little bit tight around the waist and thighs.

What's your best tips to stretch the waist and thighs? Does the waist and thighs stretch out if I wear sweatpants under the jeans?
you sized up and they were still a little tight? are you sure you got the right size? 3sixteen waists are all 1inch larger than tagged. the only real way to stretch out the jeans and ensure they fit right is to be active in them and wear them a lot. 3sixteens, at least in my experience, dont stretch nearly as much as APCs (which is why people usually size down one or two in APCs).

Dingusberry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you sized up and they were still a little tight? are you sure you got the right size? 3sixteen waists are all 1inch larger than tagged. the only real way to stretch out the jeans and ensure they fit right is to be active in them and wear them a lot. 3sixteens, at least in my experience, dont stretch nearly as much as APCs (which is why people usually size down one or two in APCs).
Yeah, I am sure. My usual size is 28, and my other pair of raws, which I usually wear, is also 28, but it has stretched out from 28'' to 31'' in the waist.

Adroit

Reaction score
What is the appropriate number of jeans to own if:

1. You wear jeans to work?

2. You do not wear jeans to work?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads