• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Maniak90

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whatever123
you and i have a very similar waist and upper-thigh. im a 34 waist and need at least a 12" (BiG method) upper-thigh. keep in mind i am very biased and wear japanese selvage denim and some designer denim jeans. if i had to recommend brands, these are what i would look into -masion martin margiela straight leg - 10 collection. the nice thing about these is they are cut generous in the top block but are a low-rise so its very flattering up top and then tapers. you will have ~ 7.5" hem on a size 48 - 50 (32 - 34). here is a link from the mmm site: http://eboutique.maisonmartinmargiel...Q/areaid//sts/ -momotaro 0701/0705 cut. -ih 634 (more of a straight cut). -fh f380. -samurai 710 or 500 cut. -eternal 811 *all of the above will have at least a 12" upper-thigh on a size 33 or 34 (after washing).
Thanks again for this! I've been using the search function and reading around a bit more these few days. I had another look at these jeans you suggested and im interested about the samurai 710, the momotaro, and the eternal 811 jeans. I'm really surprised that their thigh measurements were really about an inch larger than other jeans (around 13"). I measured my upper thigh at its thickest part and it stands at about 24.5- 25" so i THINK these jeans should be quite comfortable in the thighs/ass? Also, if im not mistaken, ill need a size 34 for these jeans correct? (Also heard good things about Samurai 5000VX?) I guess i'm kind of scared of taking the plunge. 300+ for a pair of jeans is pretty crazy for me. Would it be good to look into 2nd hand? Or would a cheaper alternative (for around $130) be good... i've found some jeans that MIGHT suit me - Nudie Big Bengt. Good idea? Bad idea? PS. If i do get second hand, i'm guessing i just gotta look for jeans that aren't too worn in yet (ie. creases and fades havent accustomed to the original owner). What about washing / soaking, i know that has an effect on the sizing but as long as i match the sizes based off the selfedge website, i shud be good to go right?

porschemad911

Reaction score
Man, I give up on Levi's 514 sizing. I'm a 32 true waist, had a darkish washed pair in 32 made in Sri Lanka, waist was too loose. Bought another slightly lighter washed pair in 31 made in Mexico, perfect fit, waist nice and snug. But I really wanted something darker so bought a 31 tumbled rigid made in Bangladesh, hoping it would fit like the 31 above. Nope, about as loose as the first 32 I had.
censored.gif
... I give up, not even going to try my luck with a tumbled rigid 30, will just keep the washed 31, get rid of the other 2 and wear my rigid size 32 511 which fits perfectly. Anyone else had 514 sizing all over the place, or was I just unlucky?

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by porschemad911
Anyone else had 514 sizing all over the place, or was I just unlucky?

I have a pair of 33 that fit pretty good to just a little big, a pair of 33 that are way too large and fall off constantly without a belt, and a pair of 32 that are also way too large. So no, not just you... Although I recently lost some weight, about 2" on the waist, and now I'm thinking the 514 fit is too baggy anyways
confused.gif

Stalky

Reaction score
I have always bought 34 waist jeans but I think I may only be a 32 or so. I like slim fitting jeans. Can anyone reccomend a nice pair in Australia that isn't too expensive? My current pair are Calvin Klein I got them for $90 on sale (the RRP is $179 I believe) and they are a very nice slim fit but i am not sure on the quality as they now have a hole in the knee and are a bit saggy in the bum.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stalky
I have always bought 34 waist jeans but I think I may only be a 32 or so. I like slim fitting jeans. Can anyone reccomend a nice pair in Australia that isn't too expensive? My current pair are Calvin Klein I got them for $90 on sale (the RRP is $179 I believe) and they are a very nice slim fit but i am not sure on the quality as they now have a hole in the knee and are a bit saggy in the bum.

try google.

PartagasIV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Crate x SF jean has gone through a crotch repair but still is my favorite fitting pair of jeans.

What's a similar cut to those on the higher end of the spectrum around a 33/34W--Somet 003's were fantastic quality but rise is way too low, even with stretch. Not looking for super heavy weight, but Pure blue/Momotaro 0701/Strike Gold/Samurai 710/etc suggestions appreciated.

commodorewheeler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pclark
I'll check them out. I'm certainly not looking to spend that much per se, but I just felt I was willing to spend that much (as I live in them) if something lovely caught my eye. do you have any advice on the weight of the denim? is 18oz particularly heavy and how does that affect them?
Maybe I'm just used to heavier denim by now, but I don't find that 18 oz. feels heavy to me. For me, denim doesn't start to feel really heavy until you get to around 23 oz., other than in the middle of summer. But if you're used to 10-12 oz. denim like on most cheaper brands, you may be in for an adjustment.
Originally Posted by effang
Can anybody recommend some slim fit bootcut jeans? Thanks!
Samurai 512 is a slim fitting boot cut from a good, reputable brand. I hear it runs a little bit small compared to their other models, so that may be something to keep in mind for sizing if you are interested in it.

Triffis

Reaction score
Hey, just a question from a newbie here.

I'm wondering if you can still get nice fade and comb/whisker pattern on one-wash jeans. My reason for asking is I'm looking at getting Eternal 883s that have one-wash, but I still want to get some hardcore fade and patterning.

Thanks
biggrin.gif

commodorewheeler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Triffis
Hey, just a question from a newbie here.

I'm wondering if you can still get nice fade and comb/whisker pattern on one-wash jeans. My reason for asking is I'm looking at getting Eternal 883s that have one-wash, but I still want to get some hardcore fade and patterning.

Thanks
biggrin.gif

Yeah, you sure can. A one-wash jean is basically the same thing as a raw unsanforized jean that has been soaked once. There are usually some random small creases in the denim that you see on a one-wash that you might not get with just soaking, but other than that, they are pretty much the same thing.

Korppu

Reaction score
So I'd like to buy a few nice pair of jeans... But I have a few problems.

My legs are quite large...
laugh.gif
Currently I use these jeans size 38: http://www.asos.com//Asos/Asos-Indig...px?iid=1441530

Those are very baggy and don't fit at all on the leg. I bought those because actually, I once bought slim jeans size 36, but they were horrible

http://www.asos.com/Asos/Asos-Twiste...rt=-1&clr=Blue

Tthey were so tight! I could hardly put them on and I could hardly bend over (well I actually couldn't, the one time I did proper bend over the jeans broke
laugh.gif
). Looking at the sizing those jeans have a 91 centimeter waist, which is not obviously enough.

So what kind of jeans would be good for me that would be a slim fit of some sort? I'd like to be able to bend over etc tho
lol8[1].gif
I've been looking at some Nudies and even APC's but I'm afraid to use slim fit jeans since I don't know if they'll fit properly (or have big enough sizing)! Are there any fine looking jeans for large-legged people like me?!

commodorewheeler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Korppu
So I'd like to buy a few nice pair of jeans... But I have a few problems.

My legs are quite large...
laugh.gif
Currently I use these jeans size 38: http://www.asos.com//Asos/Asos-Indig...px?iid=1441530

Those are very baggy and don't fit at all on the leg. I bought those because actually, I once bought slim jeans size 36, but they were horrible

http://www.asos.com/Asos/Asos-Twiste...rt=-1&clr=Blue

Tthey were so tight! I could hardly put them on and I could hardly bend over (well I actually couldn't, the one time I did proper bend over the jeans broke
laugh.gif
). Looking at the sizing those jeans have a 91 centimeter waist, which is not obviously enough.

So what kind of jeans would be good for me that would be a slim fit of some sort? I'd like to be able to bend over etc tho
lol8[1].gif
I've been looking at some Nudies and even APC's but I'm afraid to use slim fit jeans since I don't know if they'll fit properly (or have big enough sizing)! Are there any fine looking jeans for large-legged people like me?!

If you are large-legged, slim cut jeans probably won't fit you that well. I would look regular straight cuts if you don't want something that is too baggy.

What price range are you looking in?

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

htrieu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bona Drag
price range? best bang for the buck is prob these EPs: http://www.epauletshop.com/servlet/t...ght-Leg/Detail or these 3sixteens: http://shop.3sixteen.com/collections...black-selvedge but there are a bunch of other options if youre willing to spend 200-300; theres also overdye, coated, etc
Hey, thanks for the suggestions. Both of them look really nice. I'm willing to spend up to $300 if need be to find that perfect fit/wash. Not really sure what to look for in terms of black denim.. What are your thoughts on raw black denim as opposed to something like this? BTW the rag and bones fit badly on me. The bottom leg flares out too much, not enough taper.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
BUMP - Anyone?

Originally Posted by imatlas
I'm looking for suggestions for brands/cuts to try, because I'm not having a lot of luck. N&F Slim Guys are a perfect cut for me, but my wife hates the position of the pocket on my butt - there's a lot of space between the top of the jean and the top of the pocket, as a result the pocket sits too low on ****** and bugs her. She feels the same way about any pockets that are so long they extend past the bottom of my butt (like a pair of Ted Baker jeans that I have). I also have a pair of 7s that have the perfect combo of pocket size and position with cut, but now I want something in a dark selvedge denim.

So - I'm looking for something with a similar cut to the Slim Guy, with higher pockets. Also, I prefer little to no pocket detailing (ironically, given the 7s and TBs, but there ya go).

Suggestions?

Thanks!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads