• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I hate the front room of my apartment - Seeking decoration advice and help

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ETF, exactly slightly bigger on the front table and you have a good multipurpose area for computer use or coffee/food/ect.

Make the rug so that it is wider than the sofa and extends just under the front legs.

Other than that it looks good IMO.

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Has anyone suggested moving yet? It's only a matter of time. You have too much stuff - lose half then reassess. And add a table you can eat at. I concur with Gus, but instead of Moroccan poufs look into something like this: lefty
Leftty say move, move

P. Bateman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A small update:

I've begun selling off my furniture and just made my first purchase for the new layout: a transforming coffee table from Duffy London.

@otc was exactly right when he said I'd be surprised how the bikes will stick out when hung away from the wall. I will be hanging my bikes along side the wall using something like this (at least for the lower bike):

wood-bike-storage.jpg

I believe my walls are plaster and I haven't had luck finding a stud thus far. This may be a far simpler solution: http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urba...jsp?id=28416030&color=007&parentid=MORE IDEAS

Last edited:

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like the bike racks.

Not into the table, I find pieces that transform from one to the next are bad at both.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I kind of like the table.

It is a compromise, but I have a friend who lives in a high-rise studio apartment and I think it would be great for him. Heck, a lot of urban 1-bedrooms don't even have room for a dining set since they've decided people are fine eating breakfast on a bar stool and eating dinner on the couch (or going out to eat).

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I understand that he needs to use his space effectively, it's practical. I don't think it will hold up well, it has a combination of moving parts and unsupported solid wood which can be trouble when combined.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@P. Bateman once you have had a chance to use the table some, please share your thoughts. My one bedroom is fairly space constrained and I could see a solution like that being useful.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I like the bike racks.

Not into the table, I find pieces that transform from one to the next are bad at both.

+1. Table legs get kicked, scuffed, hit by bikes. In this case, the foot of the coffee table, the part that scrapes along the ground when you move or bump it, is the visible edge of the dining table. The legs, which get kicked by dirty sneakers and dinged by passing bike pedals, are the eating surface of the table.

I'm worried about the stresses on the folding joint when the table is up as a dining table, but not sure how it may have extra support beams that slide underneath at the joint. As it appears now, it looks like a lot of loading right on that little feathered joint there (SG will know the proper term).

Cool idea, even looks good as a dining table (not so much as a coffee table IMO), but I am concerned for your long-term satisfaction. Good luck.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Agreed on the visible edges of the table getting scrapes from the ground. I had thought of that too. Might not be as big of a problem if your table is placed on a rug.

Dirty sneakers? A once over to clean the surface before use should really be all you need.

As for how much weight it could handle on the joints, it's a good question. It's one of the reason's I asked for his thoughts on the piece once the table arrived. I did find this promo video for the product that would indicate that the table could in the least handle the weight of a full grown man (1:08 in).

EDIT: Embed didn't work. Direct link:

Just realized that's a metal version of the table.

Last edited:

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If it is the wood version, I would suspect you could deal with any scuffing with a little danish oil (or something similar, and a little sanding if it is major).

I'm assuming it will sit on a carpet and not be raised and lowered that often...and it will probably be cleared off and wiped down any time it is raised and used for a table (presumably when guests are present).

Although I think Douglas is right that it looks better as a dining table than as a coffee table. Since it will probably be a coffee table 90% of the time, it would be better if it looked better doing its primary duty.

Still, as a convertible table, it seems like one of the better options.

P. Bateman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the look of the coffee table and it will be going on a rug so I'm not concerned about dings and scuffing. I'll report on the rigidity when it arrives.

Does anyone have any recommendations for stores to shop for sofas? Per the designing I'm looking for two no greater than 65" in length, so really more of a love seat than a sofa. I want armrests but since it's not long a sofa they must be narrow to maximize the seating surface. Here's an example of a style like:

I sold the giant sectional and brown leather club chair. It's amazing how much that has opened up the space. Hopefully the remaining items move quickly too.

The bikes are up on the rack and look great by the front door.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads