• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I don't like Allen-Edmonds

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I agree 100%, and it's really a shame. I would love for there to be a reliable, just a little stylish, high-quality shoe manufactuer in the US. If AE could replicate the Brooks Brothers Peal style/value, I'd be very happy. AE are just so boring and blobby.

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
I would not pay retail for any of AE shoes (although some of the colours of the Fairfax have made me consider it fleetingly but 300 is another pair of RM cheslea boots
biggrin.gif
)

You should be able to find AE Fairfax at the Rack and DSW right now for ~$160. At least my local DSW had a bunch. I'm debating whether or not to pick up a pair in chestnut.

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
E shoes are well built. But that's about it. I picked up a chestnut Fairfax @ less than 60% off back when it came on the market. Later on I'd add a pair of AE Italian-made woven loafers ( for 1/2 off ) that proved delicious in their comfort.
Otherwise, I don't much care for either their refinement or styling
plain.gif

csgrad

Reaction score
A retail of 300 for AE is hard to bite when I just bought 3 amadeo testonis for the avg price of 300
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

127.72 MHz

Reaction score
Hello All:
I've been around for a few months but between trouble with my sign on password that was graciously taken care of by our board administrator and me being busy, no posts until now. I love "The Forum" and have enjoyed much of what has been posted but this may not be the most most well received post.

The question was: "What do you see in Allen Edmonds?"

In response I've read "Boring," "Blobby," "Clunky," "Fancy bowling," (Shoes)
and lacking "Real English style" to name a few.

Please keep in mind that all of these descriptions are highly subjective. Maybe "csgrad" (almost) hit the nail on the head when he said some don't want "Slim/Fashion forward cut." Please bear in mind that some subjectively find "Slim/Fashion forward" to be ghastly!

Another member said he would rather buy an Alden,.....I believe to imply that many shoes in Alden's line are that much different than Allen Edmonds. Take a look at the Alden 990 and the Allen Edmonds "Leeds." Take a look at the Alden 691 and 693 full strap tassel and the Allen Edmonds "Grayson." Compare the Alden 908, 909, 911, and 913 all medallion tip balmorals with the Allen Edmonds "Chester." Comapare the Shell Cordovan Alden 975 with the Allen Edmonds Shell Cordovan "MacNeil." (I could go on with at least five other comparisions between Alden and Allen Edmonds that would be very difficult to tell apart)

So okay I'll come right out and say it: I LOVE Allen Edmonds shoes, (I have seventeen pairs!)

Now I'll also admit to owning two pairs of Heinrich Dinkelacker shoes I picked up while on business in Germany for nine months. (They wore me down and I HAD to buy them!) I have two pair of Church's, a pair of Edward green shoes, a pair of John Lobe,...(Again while on business in the U.K. it "Ate" at me to the point where I had no real choice in the matter, I HAD to buy them!) Too many pair of rubber sole Mephisto's and more "Other" pair than I am willing to admit to! (yes I have two pair of Alden's too, didn't mean to "Diss" Alden)

What does the Allen Edmonds buyer typically look like,...a VERY conservative fellow,...

Bottom line folks, good looking shoes are truly in the eyes of the beholder and to me the most highly subjective opinions of fashion are the area of shoes.

My two centavos.
Regards,
Bill Woodward
aka 127.72 MHz
Portland, Oregon
U.S.A.

Kasper

Reaction score
I recently bought a pair of Park Avenues in black by Allen Edmonds and feel that this model has reached the highest taste level for a conservative business shoe. I am very happy with the purchase.

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For one of if not the biggest clothing market on the planet and one of the highest per capita incomes we sure get the short end of the stick when it comes to anything clothing related.

I can just imagine a company like AE putting out high quality shoes like they produce that have a nice edge to them yet are discounted like AE's often are. Maybe someone should slip a memo to them in the next board meeting.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
I think AE is looking at it from the opposite direction - make more cheaper lines and leave the better lines as they are or just make subtle revisions...

I was in the AE store in Chicago two weeks ago and the salesman said they will be debuting a $600+ benchmade line in the near future. At that price point, I bet they will bring in lasts that match the other shoes in that range.

That said, it's probably a sad commentary, but.....the reason that US made lasts are less slender than the europeans (and the clothes for that matter) is that AMERICANS are less slender than europeans.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
That said, it's probably a sad commentary, but.....the reason that US made lasts are less slender than the europeans (and the clothes for that matter) is that AMERICANS are less slender than europeans.

Why is it, then, that AE and Alden readily offer narrow widths, which can't be had from many of the European makers? Sleekness of last has little to do with the slenderness of the foot.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
Why is it, then, that AE and Alden readily offer narrow widths, which can't be had from many of the European makers? Sleekness of last has little to do with the slenderness of the foot.

Good point, I hadn't thought of it that way.

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Slim sleek English and Italian shoes make my large feet look like packed canoes.

127.72 MHz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
These are pretty nice Alden choices from Leather Soul:

boot1-1.jpg

1-1.jpg

Great example AlanC. As far as the two well known American shoemakers go Alden really has an edge on Allen Edmonds in their "Fan Shoes." The way it works is that any Alden Dealer can have Alden make up a special shoe which is usually one of their stock items with a slightly different sole, option in leather, (Shell Cordovan is most common) or special appearence so long as the dealer orders at least a dozen pair. I know the top boot is an example of an Alden "Fan Shoe," I'm not sure about the other.

The Alden store in San Fransisco has many such Alden "Fan Shoes.'

I've had a bit of a difficulty being fitted in some of Alden's shoes especially one's on their "Barrie" Last which is VERY full. I do wish there were more dealers with most if not all of Alden's line. (I guess it's just too expensive to stock)

Although I've already said how much I love Allen Edmonds, my favorite pair of shoes is by Heinrich Dinklacker, jeeze Louise I love these shoes and unless I'm mistaken, (I hope I am) I know of no dealers in the U.S.A..

I'm looking at a trip to the U.K. and possibly the continent later this year,...you can bet I'll be picking up another pair, (or two!!) of shoes while I'm there.
Regards,
Bill Woodward
aka 127.72 MHz
Portland, Oregon
U.S.A.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads