• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLEFORUM MEETUP - Styleforum and Epaulet at Alfargo's Market NYC (9/27 and 9/28)

This Friday and Saturday night, please join Styleforum and Epaulet at the esteemed Alfargo's Marketplace. It will take place at the Neue House on 25th Street and Park Ave. Everyone is welcome. Check out our Alpaca Project and have beverage on us.

Details can be found here

Fok and the Styleforum Team and Epaulet.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I bought a black blazer; did I make a huge mistake?!

GenuardiTailor

Reaction score
bought for a nice dinner. planning to wear with charcoal pants and a white shirt. i know black suits and jackets are kind of faux pas so im not sure why i did it...but i did. i suppose i still have time to grab a dark navy one and chalk this one up as a loss.

View attachment 2251621
You might try removing the top "show buttons". I think it would look a little more nuanced and tone down the buttoned up militaristic vibe. I might also switch the buttons out for a smoked mother of pearl then pair very simply with grey flannels, denim, or maybe moleskins and loafers. Don't overthink.

WanderingEric

Reaction score
Pair the jacket with black and white houndstooth trousers and a Macclesfield tie and you have a passable stroller (see left below):

Last edited:

WOVENandSEWN

Reaction score
Agree that you’re better off with denim and an open jacket in a more slouch look.

IMG_5611.jpeg

chrlsful

Reaction score
"mistake?”
There R none.
It’s all in how U use it w/“the rest”.
AND
what is the event you’re going to?
These 2 clues = how to use the jacket
(not that it is horrible of and by itself).

adero

Reaction score
bought for a nice dinner. planning to wear with charcoal pants and a white shirt. i know black suits and jackets are kind of faux pas so im not sure why i did it...but i did. i suppose i still have time to grab a dark navy one and chalk this one up as a loss.

Nah, this is super easy to style and wear. Grey dress trousers or denim of your choice, blue, grey or black, beaten or new, slim or baggy/wide, so many options....
Shirt and tie or simply a tee: round neck, deep scoped round neck, v-neck, or be daring and rock nothing at all under but with a scarf. The patch pocket on the outside makes it a tad more casual so it is all down to you, when and where you want to sport it. Dare to be different.

Harwid

Reaction score
I am a sucker for great prices at Neiman Marcus Last call and ended up with two single breasted black sport coats. One Zegna and one Oxxford. Two worked as they were kept in two locations.

I am just in one location now so I took one to Goodwill this year. Neither got worn much.

Jeff

Hipboots

Reaction score
Should be ok. The patch pockets give it a casual look, so wear it in good health!
Agreed. Definitely not a mistake. That’s an alpha jacket. It can be an all season workhorse up and down the formality scale. Depending on the material it’s made out of, the black DB with patch pockets offers a load of versatility. In a hopsack or other s110 all season casual weave, it’s the alpha and the omega. You can dress it up for use at the top of the formality scale, or dress it down for casual social dates. The DB is a classic that isn’t technically “wrong” for any occasion. In black, it opens the top levels of formality. Kind of a style checkmate. You won’t be too casual (you’re in a black DB … drip), and you won’t be too formal (separates, patch pockets, casual weave, casual accessories, unbuttoned, all bring informal elements). Very cool

MarkG441

Reaction score
I think a black blazer is fine, especially for an evening event. You really doubled down with the double breasted though. The grey trousers and white shirt is one way to go. But that a formalizes it. But I'd probably opt to go in the other direction and soften it a bit. Medium brown or green trousers and a pale pink or lavender shirt. No tie.

Featured Sponsor

Do you coordinate your watch strap with your shoes or belt?

• Always

• Sometimes

• Never

• I don't pay attention

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tony.fretwell1