• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I am a victim of the housing crisis

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice job. Now, I just heard today about this really great job that would be perfect for your qualifications. It's in Pittsburgh - would you minding moving?

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Nice job. Now, I just heard today about this really great job that would be perfect for your qualifications. It's in Pittsburgh - would you minding moving?

Haha, I almost would. That house was only 5 minutes to downtown, but it took 45 min with traffic. I would love to pick somewhere else to go!

paraiso

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jgold47
Before I really get into it, here are some facts

I am in my late 20's and not married

in september of 07 I moved to Pittsburgh and bought a house that had been listed at 149,999 for 127,000. I paid little down (was cash strapped), and I paid for that on my interest rate which is around 7.25%. I did a good old fashioned 30 year mortgage, nothing voodoo.

in july of 08, a combination of factors led me to move back to michigan. I currently rent an apt and continue to make payments on my house.

I make about 2.5x my age, and while I dont have a lot of debt, in order to make mortgage and rent payments, bills, WOL, I have started offloading some debt to credit cards.

I have a credit score in the upper 700's and have about 1,000X my age in the bank in 'cash'.

Here is my problem - my house still hasnt sold after 6 months. I am getting freaked out because I cant keep making these payments. I am pretty sure that part of the problem is the realtor I had been using, but I would also say that with the markets being what they are, and with the type of house (a good 'starter' house), its probably not been the easiest sale.

I have the house listed currently at a price that should allow me to break even (which is 100% ok with me). My realtor claims that this is a good price, and that its not the issue (she blames the market). a new realtor i am interviewing thinks that its a little high.

I had an opportunity to rent the house out for about 900/m. my mortgage payment is 1175/m, so I would be subsidising the house. I have never been a landlord, and I am having some serious reservations about it.

I have had this discussion with 100's of people in the last couple of days and I am still unsure what to do.

Should I rent the house, subsidze the rent, and try again in a year or

should I keep the house on the market, with a new realtor, a sell it ASAP, even if its at a financial loss ( I am willing to go into my savings to be done with it). I have a feeling that it wont appraise/sell for what I need,

I also think its bullshit that I did everything right - I bought a reasonably priced house, took a normal loan (my only sin was not putting much down, but thats irrelevant here). Bought within my means, and now I am forced to suffer for the sins of everyone else. I cant sell my house because 1) no one is buying and 2) I am going to get dinged no matter what because my house has given back almost 20K in value that I know of.

If I try for a short sale, the bank will likely tell me to get fucked as I have too much credit, income and assets. If I let the house get foreclosed I lose my excellent credit score. If I pay from my own pocket to cover the loss, then all the cushion I have worked so hard to build up goes away. Where is the protection for people like me? Baring a miracle, I will not be able to walk away from this unscathed. its not my fault the banks made ****** loans to ****** people. Its the people like me who would most certainly buy another house, go on a vacation, buy good and services, invest in property and other vehicles. But we get screwed.

There..... discuss.....

Your house will not be worth the 127,000 you paid for it for a long, long time. Forget your credit score. Let the house go into forclosure and save up. When you have enough money buy another house. Money talks.

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by paraiso
Your house will not be worth the 127,000 you paid for it for a long, long time. Forget your credit score. Let the house go into forclosure and save up. When you have enough money buy another house. Money talks.

Just sold it tuesday for 130K. So there.

paraiso

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jgold47
Just sold it tuesday for 130K. So there.

Nice. You made three grand and your credit score is intact. Good for you. Who was the sucker who bought the house?

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
130k?for a home? i though the ny housing market was ******

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics