• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Human Resources People

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On job apps for chain stores where they AZZk have you been with their company before, do they have a way to verify if you've been there before if you choose to leave that section blank?

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What happened? Did you previously get fired?

I'm assuming that if you fill the section out, they will call your old location to find out any info about you. They probably have a personnel file on you somewhere.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TyCooN
On job apps for chain stores where they AZZk have you been with their company before, do they have a way to verify if you've been there before if you choose to leave that section blank?

Of course. They have these things called "computers," and they use them to create things called "data bases"!
laugh.gif

Srsly, that wasn't a real question, was it?

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
There are way too many variables to answer this question with any reliability. Depends on the company, how the chain is organized (e.g. I'd bet it's a lot less likely that a franchised store would have centralized records), and also how it's been since you last donned the Auntie Ann's apron. Edit: But yes, overall, I'll agree with Pio that it's likely easy for them to check.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hell, companies did these kinds of checks sixty years ago. Now, it's just a click of the mouse away.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I think what you're not counting on here though is just how lazy people are. While it might be easier than ever to verify previous employment, few people actually do it. Especially at a chain store where you're going to be heaping lettuce and squirting mayonnaise with a dozen other brand-new idiots who sleepwalk through a paycheck or two before disappearing again to resurface on the other end of the mall. The HR person likely has too many other applications to run through, or a post on styleforum to make, to want to bother with much verification.

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
If I understand correctly, you're asking about a situation where you used to work at a company but don't want to cop to it on the form because it ended badly?

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright, here's the deal. I used to work for this company, but I had to leave two months in. I did give them a two weeks notice. During my time away I also changed my first name. I rather not make things complicated, so that's why I prefer to leave this section blank.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Alright, here's the deal. I used to work for this company, but I had to leave two months in. I did give them a two weeks notice. During my time away I also changed my first name. I rather not make things complicated, so that's why I prefer to leave this section blank.

Did you change your SSN? Date of birth?

Tangfastic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's always the sporting chance that the human resources 'professional' dealing with your application may not be the eagle eyed, super-competent, sharpest tool in the box type that is the norm in HR.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
You're overthinking this. I don't think it's going to be a big deal at all that you worked there before. It's retail - they don't expect people to stay around forever. If you can come up with a reasonable story about why you had to leave, and spin it to say how much you liked it and that's why you want to be back, it will likely net out as a positive, because they won't have to train you as much.

I'd fill it out in the affirmative and honestly it's unlikely they'll even ask.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In a lot of retail segments, 2 months would probably make you an old timer. Use it to your advantage.

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tangfastic
There's always the sporting chance that the human resources 'professional' dealing with your application may not be the eagle eyed, super-competent, sharpest tool in the box type that is the norm in HR.

I lol'd.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads