• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HP Touchpad - WebOS

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
I fixed it. I basically just bent the prong on the charger a little bit so it wedges into place.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Just upgraded from CM7 to CM9 to get ICS on the touchpad. Seems a pretty good upgrade from the previous version - much smoother. Hopefully the internet will be much more stable. Works quite well as a pdf/ebook/comic reader and web browser.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, got CM9 beta 2 now also. It's really nice now. Loving it.

Last edited:

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Glad you guys are enjoying them and have extended their use beyond WebOS' grave. :)

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just upgraded from CM7 to CM9 to get ICS on the touchpad. Seems a pretty good upgrade from the previous version - much smoother. Hopefully the internet will be much more stable. Works quite well as a pdf/ebook/comic reader and web browser.

Yeah, got CM9 beta 2 now also. It's really nice now. Loving it.

Nice. Would you say it's stable enough to use for daily web browsing and video streaming? I've been holding off on installing it because I didn't know how much functionality was missing in the alpha 2 release.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
definitely. Although Facebook and videos crash for me when loading them, all streaming net video, web and Netflix work perfectly. ICS is quite nice too

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a little free time this weekend so I installed ICS on my Touchpad and I definitely agree with you guys. It is quite usable and more impressive than I was expecting. I don't think I'll be booting back into webOS very often if at all.

Benzito

Reaction score
What bugs still need to be worked out? I can't stand constant re-boots when things crash, but I can't find anything indicating how often that would be.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Have a chance perhaps of getting a 32G Touchpad for 200....may be hard to pass that one up. Is getting Android running on this pretty easy? I'd like to mainly use it as a netflixer and pdf reader.

Kind of a tough decision, since I already have an iPhone so I was also considering waiting for the price of the iPad 1 to drop, and not have to worry about logging into two different app-stores, and I hear Android apps are more expensive.

Last edited:

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Have a chance perhaps of getting a 32G Touchpad for 200....may be hard to pass that one up. Is getting Android running on this pretty easy? I'd like to mainly use it as a netflixer and pdf reader.

Kind of a tough decision, since I already have an iPhone so I was also considering waiting for the price of the iPad 1 to drop, and not have to worry about logging into two different app-stores, and I hear Android apps are more expensive.

Really easy. Download the <5M debug utility for the touchpad and ~70M boot image for Android. Connect via USB and copy boot image to Touchpad. Connect with debug utility and run one command to flash the Android image. Now you have a dual-boot webOS/Android Touchpad.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
installing CM9 is easy, after all I did it, on an iMac too. It's a pretty stable device now - only issue I have is that sometimes the wifi is lost and takes a few reboots or other fiddling to get it back. Otherwise, web browsing, ebook/ pdf reading and even games are fine. Having said that I'm probably going to trade mine in soon - I'm selling my 11" macbook air because it's really too small to be useful as a main computer and may go for a Asus Transformer Prime. In which case having two android tablets may be a bit silly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads