• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How/where to source fabrics for shirts in HK

Wongtouski

Reaction score
Over the weekend I ordered two shirts from Peter Lee, I initially was looking at their more expensive fabrics but decided to try out their $280HKD ones. Being a noob that I am (and also curious), where should I go in Hong Kong if I want to source my own fabrics? I'm curious because if Peter Lee is selling egyptian cotton for 580,680, what sort of fabrics can I get myself for that price range?

Other than Thomas Mason (the only brand that I am aware of), are there any other brands that are worth looking out for in Hong Kong?

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Peter has $280 HKD fabrics? I'm going to have to have a chat with him... I've been paying a lot more than that!

Wongtouski

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
Peter has $280 HKD fabrics? I'm going to have to have a chat with him... I've been paying a lot more than that!

Yeah, the ones he has in stock (not in swatches) are all 280. I originally e-mailed him to ask (in English no less) and thought he was just trying to pull me in. Once I got there, the ones by the wall are all 280.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I've been buying shirts made from in-house fabric, all those ones on the wall, and paying twice that per shirt. I'll have to talk to him. I presume you mean the shirt costs that much, not just the fabric.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wongtouski
Over the weekend I ordered two shirts from Peter Lee, I initially was looking at their more expensive fabrics but decided to try out their $280HKD ones. Being a noob that I am (and also curious), where should I go in Hong Kong if I want to source my own fabrics? I'm curious because if Peter Lee is selling egyptian cotton for 580,680, what sort of fabrics can I get myself for that price range?

Other than Thomas Mason (the only brand that I am aware of), are there any other brands that are worth looking out for in Hong Kong?

You should also look for Alumo which is very very good cotton.

Wongtouski

Reaction score
I've been buying shirts made from in-house fabric, all those ones on the wall, and paying twice that per shirt. I'll have to talk to him. I presume you mean the shirt costs that much, not just the fabric.

Yeah dude, 2 shirts, 560, I paid half as deposit. I don't know about what type of extra detailing you got or what not, but since its my first time, I just chose a collar + french cuffs, maybe u want much more customization?

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DJA, Alumo, Zegna etc. DJA & TM is from the same company. Alumo should be the best.

Wongtouski

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iand
Are the in-house shirtings 1-ply or 2-ply?
****, the noob in me did not ask, the entire in-house fabric collection is 280 though. I guess I'll find out on Thursday. Side note: they said "we'll give u a better deal if you pick the fabrics you like" (for the Egyptian cotton swatches), anyone got intel on those?

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

house cloth, fused collar, plastic buttons non matched patterns will be this price

iGent friendly, includes non of the above bar the house cloth, with bells and whistles thick shell buttons etc will be twice the price

this is why you are paying the difference

just like with his tailoring too, you walk in he will give you the basic product price for half canvas suit, full canvas is more!
you just need to be clear about what you are asking for, as PL offer to different levels of service and product but will always quote the basoc product and price first as this is his bread and butter business

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks Luk-Cha, that is what I was thinking might have been the difference. I'm on my way to see him in an hour or so
smile.gif
Final fitting for a suit and a jacket. I do still think he games his prices a little bit, but it's not worth complaining about
smile.gif

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks Luk-Cha, that is what I was thinking might have been the difference. I'm on my way to see him in an hour or so
smile.gif
Final fitting for a suit and a jacket. I do still think he games his prices a little bit, but it's not worth complaining about
smile.gif

his price are available for all too see, if you ask - if you get the fancier cloth then it pushes the price up

issue now is nobody else is doing good quality canvased coats at his prices, i know i have looked and failed to find anything - and ended up with trash!

Wongtouski

Reaction score
Originally Posted by luk-cha
house cloth, fused collar, plastic buttons non matched patterns will be this price

iGent friendly, includes non of the above bar the house cloth, with bells and whistles thick shell buttons etc will be twice the price

this is why you are paying the difference

just like with his tailoring too, you walk in he will give you the basic product price for half canvas suit, full canvas is more!
you just need to be clear about what you are asking for, as PL offer to different levels of service and product but will always quote the basoc product and price first as this is his bread and butter business

damn, thanks for the info mate. Perhaps I was overwhelmed by the sheer number of fabrics, have glossed over the details..........really should take my time and tell him what I want next time.

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wongtouski
damn, thanks for the info mate. Perhaps I was overwhelmed by the sheer number of fabrics, have glossed over the details..........really should take my time and tell him what I want next time.

the HK$280 shirt you got is still an ok shirt to wear for that price, at least it should be good fit.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by luk-cha
his price are available for all too see, if you ask - if you get the fancier cloth then it pushes the price up

issue now is nobody else is doing good quality canvased coats at his prices, i know i have looked and failed to find anything - and ended up with trash!

Hm, I don't know. I think some of the folks who got on the Peter Lee train early get better prices than some of us who were late to the party. I'm not complaining though - you're correct that the value still well outstrips most of what else is available. He's still a good bit under Chan.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads