• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to wear this jacket?

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
One question: If I was to convert this into a stroller suit, what components would I need to acquire?

1. Solid gray, or gray striped, or gray checked trousers.
2. Dove gray or buff double breasted waistcoat.
3. white double cuffed shirt.
4. Club, regimental, or spotted tie.
5. black oxford shoes.

Here is how @kentwang wore it. Obviously your jacket doesn't look this contemporary, but it demonstrates how "normal" a stroller can look.

tumblr_o3xmviouNt1qex49ko1_1280.jpg

Lyman

Reaction score
1. Solid gray, or gray striped, or gray checked trousers.
2. Dove gray or buff double breasted waistcoat.
3. white double cuffed shirt.
4. Club, regimental, or spotted tie.
5. black oxford shoes.

Here is how @kentwang wore it. Obviously your jacket doesn't look this contemporary, but it demonstrates how "normal" a stroller can look.

View attachment 982318

Thanks a lot, this is a really helpful guide!

palk

Reaction score
One question: If I was to convert this into a stroller suit, what components would I need to acquire?

It really depends on what context you would like to wear it under; as I said before, it's fairly versatile. If I were styling it for business, then the rough idea is plain and simple, somewhat like Kent Wang's styling earlier in the thread: I'd go with plain (unpatterned) or at most a small pattern / stripe grey trousers, black single-breasted waistcoat, white shirt, and business-appropriate tie. For brunch/tea or a horse race, that's when I'd bring out the bolder patterned trousers, colored (I prefer buff / yellowish) double-breasted waistcoat, blue, patterned, contrast-collar shirts, and a tie to put it all together (e.g., pink with white spots). For examples of this, search the internet for some of the better examples of what people wear to royal ascot. For a wedding, something more in the middle is called for, like Caustic Man's outfit above.

Lyman

Reaction score
Again, gents - thank you very much. I didn't expect this outpouring of advice. I really can't convey how much it is appreciated. Caustic Man - I really like how you've styled your stroller suit, I'll be taking inspiration.

Palk - As the jacket will definitely not serve as work wear I think I'll take your advice into mind too. It'll be a while before there are any results as I've got a number of ongoing sartorial projects. However, I'll be sure to share the results when finished. Now to find an occasion to wear it!

jdp234

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, any evidence of who the maker was?

You said pre-50s so my initial guess—Tommy Nutter/Sexton—seems wrong. But the shoulders, lapels, and taped edges look awfully like Nutter to my admittedly untrained eye.

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, any evidence of who the maker was?

I was wondering about that too, and the date of it- looks early 20th C to me. Have you looked inside the pockets? There is usually a tag sewn in with, at the very least, the name of the maker, and possibly the customer and a date it was made.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads