• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to study for CFA part 1?

JSC437

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is the best way to study for CFA part1? I am taking the exam in June 2010 and want to make sure i have a suitable study plan.

Should i take a CFA review class? Even since i signed up for the exam, i have been receiving various prep course advertising in the mail.

Thanks

ps... i am currently an MBA student. Is the material on part 1 similiar to the subject matter in corporate finance or investments courses?

thenickelfit

Reaction score
friend (2/3 passed) tried using CFAI free material alone and said he could probably use that if he wanted to, however the material was too dry for him...

he's currently using stalla and likes it..to boot, stalla is part of becker, which i used for my CPA and helped me a bit.

ps, why are you getting your CFA if you already have your MBA? are you planning to go to buy-side (hedge funds) as most sell-side IBD (JPM/GS/MS) usually don't put weight on the CFA, unless it's within their HF and maybe ST groups. either way g'luck dude.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Schweser notes.

I didn't even bother w/ the CFA books.

JSC437

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by triniboy27
Schweser notes.

I didn't even bother w/ the CFA books.

Yah. I received a 17 pound box containing all of those CFA books. How insane. It would be nice if their was a more concise alternative.

I will take a look at these notes. And also what the prior gent suggested.

I want to take the CFA because a lot of my classmates who work at hedge funds have their cfa. Seems to be a pretty good credential to have.

thanks very much

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JSC4President
Yah. I received a 17 pound box containing all of those CFA books. How insane. It would be nice if their was a more concise alternative.

I will take a look at these notes. And also what the prior gent suggested.

I want to take the CFA because a lot of my classmates who work at hedge funds have their cfa. Seems to be a pretty good credential to have.

thanks very much

No worries. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Re: your intial question about overlap with your courses - there will be some but at the same time, the CFA curriculum goes into more detail so you still need to put in the time.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
CFA is a good fallback job.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Milhouse
250k per year fallback job or 60k per year part time job?

250k per year, part time!

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After 3 years of saying I will do the CFA, I think I will finally embark on this mission of self-legitimization (it's one thing to say and know you're smart, it's another to legitimize it by obtaining a professional designation). I could care less about working in finance, but I have a finance degree, my series 7 (Canadian version), and some other designations so why not?

OP - if you send me $5, I can mail you a CD-R with a bunch of stuff on it (sample exams, PDF textbooks, etc).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads