• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RichardB6

Reaction score
Hello Gentlefolk,
Wanted to start this thread as I have extra time on my hands given the current trials we are all enduring. Can anyone point me to solid resources on how to make bespoke leather shoes? I’ve already got ahold of Handmade Shoes for Men by László Vas’s & Magda Molnár and although it reaches 200 pages my hunger for additional knowledge before trying to make my own shoes has not been sated. Does anyone know of any solid resources that focus on the most meticulous of details involved in shoe making? Or will it be trial by fire?
Thank you
-Richard

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello Gentlefolk,
Wanted to start this thread as I have extra time on my hands given the current trials we are all enduring. Can anyone point me to solid resources on how to make bespoke leather shoes? I’ve already got ahold of Handmade Shoes for Men by László Vas’s & Magda Molnár and although it reaches 200 pages my hunger for additional knowledge before trying to make my own shoes has not been sated. Does anyone know of any solid resources that focus on the most meticulous of details involved in shoe making? Or will it be trial by fire?
Thank you
-Richard
check out the secret cobbler blog for some tips.

ygtyf

Reaction score
Check out the "how to make a shoe by hand" video series by Andrew Wrigley on youtube. Secret Cobbler's blog is also a great resource.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you are serious...I mean irreconcilably serious...the quickest road to frustration and defeat is to try to learn from the Internet--YouTube and so forth. And the second quickest is to try to learn it piecemeal--a little from this book, a little from that video, a little from blogs, etc..

All those sources may have tidbits of valid and significant information; all of them may offer insights and revelation, but the only way to really learn is to pick one comprehensive source--whether it be a book, an extensive video (hours and hours), or best of all, learning from a long time, bona fide shoemaker (ideally someone who is demonstrably more than competent) with who you will have an on-going relationship long after your apprenticeship / course is over.

And maybe just as important...stick with that method, stick with those techniques you learn from your teacher until you have not only mastered each and every one but understand, in your gut, the rationale for doing it that way. Only when you can, by your own initiative, build on what you know, sense the next level, and most importantly, visualize in your own mind what it takes to go beyond, will you be ready to consider and learn from the next source.

All the rest is doing.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads