• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to keep my gf from feminizing our apartment?

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeesh. Such a controversy over an admittedly tacky mirror. What can I say? I have an eye for kitschy and tasteless objects. Consider it my version of the leg-lamp from A Christmas Story (it's a major award!). But perhaps you guys are right. I'm no longer in college, so I guess the mirror goes up in the attic. Sigh.
confused.gif
And to be honest, I leave most of the decorating to the gf, only adding my insight when needed. My gf generally has really good taste in furniture, artwork, etc. I was mainly asking for advice to keep my place from getting overly feminine. In spite of her great taste, she is very womanly. Not to say that I'm incredibly masculine, but as I said before, I'm just scared of the doily invasion.
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Here's the thing: If you're serious about decorating, and if you're buying things to have a long time, then it's probably worth fighting for what you like. But if you're only buying placeholder stuff -- stuff you don't really love and won't keep -- then I'd largely let her have her way, save for the stuff you really care about. Better to pick your battles wisely than wage a war on many fronts. She'll win, eventually, anyway.
Best advice so far. Thanks.
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike
Or old guns and swords.
This has been my father's route. Although in his defense, he used to fence.
fight[1].gif

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AntiHero84
So I've recently moved in with my girlfriend of 4 years. Everything has gone smoothly, with only minor hiccups. We occasionally get on each other's nerves, but I suppose that's to be expected when you start spending so much time together. But here's my current dilemma...

We have the basics of the apartment down. We have the couch, the tv, the major pieces of furniture, etc. Now comes the time to add some accent pieces, artwork, and other things to give the place some character. Unfortunately, we have drastically different taste in art and design. Sometimes we are able to agree or compromise, but this is seldom. Luckily, we've been on the same page so far, but it is quickly beginning to change. She tends to favor a more feminine aesthetic (i.e. lots of flowers). We've actually come to the agreement that she's only able to have one major piece with a floral design per room. I, on the other hand, like more modern and utilitarian design. If I do want some decoration, I tend to look for something old, vintage, or classic.

Basically, my question is, how do I keep my girlfriend from making our place overly feminine. How should I make my own suggestions without offending her own sense of style? Is it possible to reach a compromise with her ideas of design, or am I doomed to live in a flowery, doily infested, vanilla scented hell?

you've fucked, live with it. on the positive side, demand sex for every peice of furnature she chooses.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung
Would rather live there than some place with a beer mirror.

You haven't seen the place.

Best scene in the movie is when he brings some very dark, modern painting and she totally freaks out so he finally breaks down and says: "I feel like I'm living in a candy box!!!"

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma

You haven't seen the place.

Best scene in the movie is when he brings some very dark, modern painting and she totally freaks out so he finally breaks down and says: "I feel like I'm living in a candy box!!!"

Great movie. Bourdieu as tragi-comedy.

If you loved Le goût des autres, you'll probably like the Swedish Killinggänget films as well. More screwball comedy, Screwed in Tallinn and Four Shades of Brown are the best of them, IMO.

If I had stayed with one of my exes, I would have been living like that. She had this habit of buying inch-wide tartan ribbon and tying bows all over the place; on candlesticks and the like. We didn't live together, obviously.

Originally Posted by Douglas
Is there a blow-my-brains-out smiley?

Yes, there is, it's very popular at the goth ninja forum. (Sorry, Fuuma!)

RyJ Maduro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AntiHero84
She's actually agreed to let me hang up my Miller Lite mirror (a remnant of my father's employment in a liquor store) in one of the more inconspicuous places in the apt. Not that the mirror is the most aesthetically pleasing, but it serves more as a symbol of my masculinity.

Originally Posted by Douglas
(Teh mirror sucks) Ftfy

Originally Posted by unjung
+1. Seriously, a beer mirror? Fail. At this point you should just let her take over.

Would a Beefeater or Dewar's mirror be more inherently tasteful? Or at least potentially so, given context?

r...

Reaction score
^A branded liquor mirror is tacky at any rate. I dig the paternal connection but just let your old man know you love him next chance you get and ditch the mirror guilt free. Plus WTF is a mancave? Thats some Judd Apatow "jerk off corner" bullshit that gets written into the book of "Manhood as Defined by TV".

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just tell her that she has complete freedom- as long as everything is "Arts and Crafts".

at least it'll be a varnished wood hell.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 102 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads