• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to get clothing to make me look bigger?

madison avenue

Reaction score
I know that this may sound funny to some but I am 6 feet tall and I weigh 145 lbs. I am actually in the process of getting a whole new wardrobe and I am curious on what to buy in the sense of how to make me look fatter/bulkier. I like all of my clothing such as my long collar shirts and suits and pants to be fitted on me. I like a fitted leg (not to be mistaken with a skinny jean fit). I like everything to be fitted around the mid stomach and then to come out again. All of my shirts are a tad longer to they come out of my blazers at the cuffs ( just trying to give a picture of my look) I wear a classic look maybe a little on the english side with wide ties. I have tried eating more going to the gym and nothing seems to work all that happened is I got more cut up. I was thinking of maybe getting thick made shirts? Maybe its a stupid idea but that is what all of you kind friends are here for. Help me out. Thanks!

aragon765

Reaction score
As a fellow ectomorph (6'4", 165) my quick advice is to dress for the body you have, not the body you want (and may never achieve - assuming you are not 14). If you try and dress to look 'fatter' you will only look skinnier, as people will be able to tell that your clothing is oversize (and fitting sloppy) for your body.

I don't think thicker cloth will have much impact on the silhouette of the clothes either, although I guess you could try dress in lumberjack shirts and 18 oz tweed jackets. At that point however, i think your body type would be the least of your issues.

BTW, our body type is currently the 'ideal' in high fashion... check out this story

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you want to de-emphasize your height you could try windowpane, check or textured fabrics for suits. Maybe checks or dobbys for shirts. All these things are supposed to emphasize the horizontal line or at least break up the vertical line. 2-1/2 button suits vs. 2 might also help. As might slightly roomier trousers. But, I wouldn't bulk up unless you really like the look. I personally would just work with what you've got.

Roy Biggins

Reaction score
The best thing I can tell you is to try to become comfortable with yourself when wearing clothing that fits the actual shape of your body.

I am 5'9 and 117 pounds -- I cannot gain weight. I've learned to deal with it; it's who I am. I used to worry about how clothes that actually fit my body showed how thin I was. Now, I have learned to deal with it.

I would not suggest wearing clothing with fuller cuts as I think that always looks bad on slim people, and it's always really obvious just how much slimmer their clothing should be. If you are slim, do not hide it. You have something naturally that a lot of people work hard for.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't do too many weird things with cuts and fits. Get something that fits you appropriately, not too tight, not too loose. But do use thicker fabrics - things like heavier tweeds and shetland sweaters. Not only do they bulk one up, they also look good. Horizontal stripes, checks, and other non-vertically elongating patterns can help, too.

Karo

Reaction score
I feel you..as I'm 6'1" 158lbs. I agree don't try too hard to make yourself look big, or else you end up looking like you've shrunk or you're a kid wearing grown-up clothes.

For winter or cooler weather - very easy. I tend to wear a few layers (not oversized) and might want to get a jacket that is just slightly larger to fit the layers underneath. This makes my upper body a little bulkier and my shoulders a little broader. As for pants, I wouldn't recommend going baggy, just not slim fitted where it hurts to sit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads