• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How often do you dry clean your suits?

jakejake

Reaction score
and how much do you normally pay for it? and how about dress shirts? Is there a way to tell if the cleaner did a good job.. what do you look for? I have places around me that want to charge from $6-$12 for a suit and $1.30-$3.50 for a dress shirt.

mishon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dry clean my suits about twice a year - I was told anything in excess of that is not good for the fabric. I just picked up two from dry cleaners last night. They were $8.77 each. I dry clean my shirts after one, maximum two wears. The cost depends on the fabric ($1.99 for a cotton shirt and $4.25 for silk, linen). When I pick up my suits, I don't take them home until I had a chance to inspect them inside the store. I look at everything. With shirts, I am less meticulous. I look at the collar, the sleeves, and the overall pressing job.
lol8[1].gif

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jakejake
and how much do you normally pay for it? and how about dress shirts? Is there a way to tell if the cleaner did a good job.. what do you look for? I have places around me that want to charge from $6-$12 for a suit and $1.30-$3.50 for a dress shirt.

Suits... maybe once a year tops, for instances when a nice brush and steamer aren't doing the trick.

Shirts... pretty much never. I wash my shirts myself, usually on a Friday, then let them drip dry overnight. When I get up Saturday morning, while they're still slightly damp, I iron them.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
daily

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
No more than once a year.

I never dry clean shirts.

mishon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Certainly, there is a lot of digression when it comes to cleaning shirts. Quite a few of this board's esteemed members wash and iron their own shirts. For me, it is a matter of time and convenience. As a second year associate who works close to 80 hours a week, I can't fathom doing my own washing and ironing; it is enough that I wash my socks every night. Dry cleaners is convenient, especially if you find one that's close and does a good job.

SuitingStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
as little as possible, only when a disaster happan like coffee spill.
I think as long as you don't wear a suit more than once a week, and be carefull when you wear it (ie , watch whwere you sit, and don't do anything that will cause excessive sweating), you don't need dry cleaning. Also, brush and air dry 1 full day after wearing.

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
daily

Do you ever find that your suits start falling apart?

Just wondering b/c I've grown up with the idea that dry cleaning reduces suit life but I'm not sure if this is true.

Ricardo Malocchio

Reaction score
Is anyone familiar with some special "wet cleaning" process for suits and other fabrics that are typically dry-cleaned?

One of my tailors was telling me about a place that does this (responding to my remark "most of my suits have never been to the drycleaners"). He regarded the process as being far less damaging to the suit, but I was in a big hurry that day and there's a slight language barrier so I never really got the name of this process or the place that does it. I plan to ask him again when I go back this weekend, but I was just wondering if this rings a bell for anyone?

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Another vote for "pretty much never unless there's a stain or some other affirmative reason to do so".

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Steam and brush after each wear and spot-cleaning only if there is a stain. Shirts wash in cold water and iron damp to slightly dry with a touch of sizing.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a steam cleaner that I use for my suits and shirts, it works pretty well but about every two monts i have them dry cleaned just to get the fresh smell.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Another vote for "pretty much never unless there's a stain or some other affirmative reason to do so".

+1
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads