• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

how much do you pay for "extreme" internet?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm just wondering what sort of deals people are getting in different places. Someone said that canada sucks for internet so i'm interested in a comparison.

In toronto, for $96/mo, you get 25Mbps and 150GB of transfer. In montreal, you can get up to 20Mbps (50Mbps soon), but are limited to 30GB/mo of transfer or you can take 10Mbps with 100GB of transfer. I personally don't understand these super-high speeds when monthly usage is capped so low, but that's just me.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
I'm just wondering what sort of deals people are getting in different places. Someone said that canada sucks for internet so i'm interested in a comparison.

In toronto, for $96/mo, you get 25Mbps and 150GB of transfer. In montreal, you can get up to 20Mbps (50Mbps soon), but are limited to 30GB/mo of transfer or you can take 10Mbps with 100GB of transfer. I personally don't understand these super-high speeds when monthly usage is capped so low, but that's just me.

What do you do with that speed? I have like a bell or whatever speed and unlimited transfers and I'm fine. I consume a lot of content and it's still "too fast".

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
What do you do with that speed? I have like a bell or whatever speed and unlimited transfers and I'm fine. I consume a lot of content and it's still "too fast".

Downloading blu-ray rips, of course! Actually, I just got curious because of posts in jon's "how do i transfer 15GB?" thread and ratboy saying he had crazy fast internet in tokyo. I know that some of the new high-rises in Toronto have 100mbps connections, sometimes included in the maintenance fees, but with what restrictions, I don't know. My father's apartment has bell and it's not unlimited. I just checked and the best they offer is 16mbps with 75GB transfer for $50/mo. This isn't really that surprising to me b/c 10mbps dedicated fiber is roughly 1100/mo over a 5 year term with unlimited usage.

It seems like every ISP in canada throttles bittorrent connections. Right now when I need to download episodes of gossip girl, I have permission to vpn into my office and use their bandwidth for the transfer, and then I FTP it from the office. I can download through ftp at 5mbps, but with torrents directly from home i never get more than 50kbps except after 11pm or something.

The point of this is that who would pay $70-100/mo for "extreme speed" internet access when they are so limited in what they can do with that speed? I just can't envision a usage pattern in which something like that makes sense. The people that want those speeds are downloaders. Being downloaders, the caps are super low and even when you're within your cap, the damned ISP is throttling your bittorrent connections!
confused.gif

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Right now when I need to download episodes of gossip girl, I have permission to vpn into my office and use their bandwidth for the transfer, and then I FTP it from the office.

You're preaching to the choir. The Lady GaGa episode I'm downloading is stuck at 44%.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My cable company recently told me if I wanted my 10Mbps upgraded to 100Mbps!!
wow.gif

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
50 kbps is fast enough for me, but in seven or eight years, I've never gotten in trouble from Shaw for doing a gig or two per day. There was one year in college where I managed to get through two terabytes, which I thought was pretty decent.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Japan is the best. You get 100Mbps for around $10~$20. I bet even the wireless for phones are faster than the U.S.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung
50 kbps is fast enough for me, but in seven or eight years, I've never gotten in trouble from Shaw for doing a gig or two per day. There was one year in college where I managed to get through two terabytes, which I thought was pretty decent.

They didn't have the caps with cable/DSL first came out. They're being implemented now in an attempt to keep a lid on rampant file-sharing, which has costs for the ISPs. The throttling is also newish.

Patrician

Reaction score
100 mbps is about $50 where I live. No caps.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dragon
Japan is the best. You get 100Mbps for around $10~$20. I bet even the wireless for phones are faster than the U.S.

But then you're stuck with girls that look like 12 y/olds with a squirrel between their legs.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dragon

Yeah, 3.5 and 4G mobile service is popping up in the big cities and the whole country has at least 3G.

As for internet, like I said earlier its stupid cheap here. I get a 20Mbps connection for free with my apartment and if I pay an extra $20 a month I get a 100+Mbps connection, I am limited by cable in my place though. So if I want AU Hikari I gotta pay a bit more and have it installed. Hikari connection (super fiber-op basically) has 1Gbps connections for ~$55 a month.
http://www.hikari-one.com/gigatoku/index3.html

When I get my next place I will probably get this or whatever is best then.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OMG!! The internet hasn't reached Uganda yet!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads