• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much are you tipping your doormen?

ssnyc

Reaction score
Tipping in NYC is a joke. It's rarely ever a reward for superior service. Tippers have delusions of grandeur and tippees ungratefully expect the world for any trivial service.

I'll tip my super a regifted scented candle if he's lucky.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
My post made me think of a more pertinent question. How much is everyone tipping their majordomo?

Originally Posted by edmorel
I give him 40% of his annual income, and no, I won't tell you the six figure number that I pay him.
Don't forget a little something for the Fillipino houseboy..
Originally Posted by Douglas
TheApple was a troll who would start threads very similar to this one - but I think his always had more of a satirical edge to them. This one seems on the up-and-up to me.

Roma, I would think it unpleasant, but I think it depends on who you are and where you are. I've heard some very unpleasant stories from friends about rivalries and preferences and such arising as a result of not tipping enough, or tipping one guy too much, etc. etc. I generally hate these sorts of transactions anyways, and I'm a bit of a paranoid so I'd constantly worry if I'd done the wrong thing.

Obviously, your mileage varies, and that's awesome.
smile.gif

Yes, the rivalries/preferences thing is a source of potential conflict. Try to be even & fair. Tip commensurately w/in your means. Don't worry about 'buying favor'. If you're a bigtimer, don't tip like a small-timer, but don't worry about appearing stingy if you're evenhanded. There are plenty of cheap bastards who put $20 into the general fund or give nothing at all....

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by M. Bardamu
A gift certificate for an RLPL suit?

Your doormen wear OTR? Oh the huge manatee.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
douglas-san,

don't know the driveway situation these days, but uncle sam's finest often respond to a little old-time baksheesh (theu're only human!). rmember: a squeaky wheel needs a little oil. a case of natty bohs, or ask thomas for a couple of his 'historic' magazines...

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not worried about it. We're moving next summer, and I've already met the new mailman. He's great.
smile.gif

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Agnacious
I tip to the general fund and then give something extra to the 4 doormen I actually see.

Ditto. We give to the general fund, give some money to the few we really interact with, and also make cookies, etc. to leave at the front desk for the staff. And sometimes we give cookies with the money too.

Originally Posted by thenickelfit
I was told general fund is a huge no-no, as what's stopping a doorman from pocketing it all which sucks even worse 'cause then I actually have to locate 11 doormen by face, night guys included..

Our Board handles the money that people donate to the general tip fund. I think there's a standard way it is apportioned from there.

Oh, and for clarification, we have probably 10 doormen, a full-time management office staff of like 6, and a crew of maintenance guys. If I tipped everyone $100 bucks, it would set me back probably $4000. I'm not doing that. We have more than 600 units, so $100 each is $60,000 to distribute to the staff. The valet gets $50. And I'm going to propose to the missus that we do similarly for a couple doormen. But not all.

b

M. Bardamu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Your doormen wear OTR? Oh the huge manatee.

I'm clearly small-time, since I had to open my own door when I lived in a high-rise. Oh sure, we had some ex-cop/forces types staffing the security desk, but that was it. Never occured to me to tip them, either...

thenickelfit

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
Ditto. We give to the general fund, give some money to the few we really interact with, and also make cookies, etc. to leave at the front desk for the staff. And sometimes we give cookies with the money too.

Our Board handles the money that people donate to the general tip fund. I think there's a standard way it is apportioned from there.

Oh, and for clarification, we have probably 10 doormen, a full-time management office staff of like 6, and a crew of maintenance guys. If I tipped everyone $100 bucks, it would set me back probably $4000. I'm not doing that. We have more than 600 units, so $100 each is $60,000 to distribute to the staff. The valet gets $50. And I'm going to propose to the missus that we do similarly for a couple doormen. But not all.

b

I need to move to DC.. while I agree with a general fund, I don't know of any building in the city that uses this concept, as everyone wants a piece in NY (including Board) and I'm sure several hands will take more than intended, so it's really a face to face, hand the envelope to EACH employee situation, which is just inefficient.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads