• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many meters did you row/erg today?

unclesam099

Reaction score

today was my lifting day

before weights: 20 seconds @ 1:18.7
after weights: 5k @ 1:50.9

20 second pieces?? Why????

I could see doing maybe ((30" on / 30" off) * 20) * 2 w/5' rest between... but why 20 seconds?

bach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it was just one 20sec piece to see how low i could keep the split. it didn't hurt at all, and for that reason it's not part of my training routine :p

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went 21:52 on my 6k yesterday (1:49.3 split). In doing so, earned myself a seat race for our Head of the Charles boat. Pumped.

dacia1300

Reaction score

2.5 weeks off from exercise, went and pulled a 1:28 flat 500m. the ergs at my gym are messed up though, there's so much dust in them that they only go up to drag factor 95 when the resistance is set to 10. i bet i could go faster if the drag factor was 130+.

dude.... what. i would check to see that the machine is working properly. concept 2's sometimes have an issue when the performance monitor thinks it's hooked up to a different model than it actually is. you can tell by being way faster than you should be and if you go to the display mode where it shows your force curve, it'll look like a bunch of points scattered all over the place instead of a consolidated line.

it should look like this:

force_curve_new.gif

if your machine is working fine, well congrats and i hate you.

totally forgot about this thread, did it again today and went extra hard, made sure to check afterwards and it looked just like the pic you posted, got in at 6.19. i need to join a masters crew or something, this is fun, does anybody know of any in NYC?

AndyMcL

Reaction score
Congrats on the 6k Wmmk! Sounds like you spent the summer keeping your fitness up, good work.

My team had it's first couple practices last week. Fortunately no erg test for a couple weeks, cause I am not in great shape right now.

dacia1300

Reaction score

N.Y.A.C. comes to mind.

i just checked that application, it is pretty intense, i no longer have my coaches contact information, i bet they are going to ask me to draw blood to prove that its blue enough. crew in miami was way more laidback.

Doctor

Reaction score

fellas, uh ... is there some secret technique to not crushing your nuts when using the erg machine?

Decent underwear and some strategic positioning before you begin. I always have to put my hands down there before I start. Could be weird in a public gym.

dacia1300

Reaction score
always wear compression shorts, you can buy them at any sporting goods store for around $20, they are a life saver.

Doctor

Reaction score
What do you guys do when you hit a wall? Is it diet? Time for a rest? Tight muscles? Any ideas on common causes?

I am rowing distance at the moment (15,000m, 5 days per week) and suddently struggling to match my times, which is really odd for me. I cracked up half way through 2 days ago - something that hasn't happened for a LONG time.

Last edited:

AndyMcL

Reaction score

What do you guys do when you hit a wall? Is it diet? Time for a rest? Tight muscles? Any ideas on common causes?
I am rowing distance at the moment (15,000m, 5 days per week) and suddently struggling to match my times, which is really odd for me. I cracked up half way through 2 days ago - something that hasn't happened for a LONG time.

I find it helps to mix up the workouts. You want to make sure that you're exercising at different intensities, not just going hard every day. A good rule of thumb is to alternate hard days and easy days, this helps make sure that you don't burn out. When you're trying to set a best time every session eventually your body is going to start to struggle. By mixing in different speeds, lengths and difficulties of workouts you'll recover better and improve more.

Doctor

Reaction score
Thanks, will try. I guess an easy day makes more sense than taking days off altogether. I fall into the trap of thinking that, once I am on the rower, it's a waste of time if I don't make it count... So I go hard every time.

Not to worry, my bad few days was followed up by 3 personal best's in a row.

Does anyone know much about the way the online world rankings work? http://www.concept2.com/sranking03/rankings.asp - they seem ridiculously incomplete. I am faster than second place for 60mins which can't be true. I'm fast, but not the best in the world. And the gaps between competitors are quite big. You'd expect it to be down to fractions of a second if it were comprehensive.

Last edited:

Gattopardo

Reaction score

Does anyone know much about the way the online world rankings work? http://www.concept2.com/sranking03/rankings.asp - they seem ridiculously incomplete. I am faster than second place for 60mins which can't be true. I'm fast, but not the best in the world. And the gaps between competitors are quite big. You'd expect it to be down to fractions of a second if it were comprehensive.

Yeah, it's all self-reported, though C2 does have methods of verifying that the row took place (hence the IND_V indication in the far right column) and I think world records still have to be done on a "publicly accessible" rowing machine. As you can see by browsing the profiles on the rankings, most of the participants are club-level rowers or hobbyists--though there are quite a few impressive times, almost no international rowers participate in the ranking system.

AndyMcL

Reaction score
Also when it comes to rankings, there are a lot of rankings when it comes to 2ks, but a lot less for other distances.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yo Andy, you racing in the Collegiate 4+ this weekend at Head of the Fish? I noticed Skidmore had an entry...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads