• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How J.Crew Makes a Suit, One Thread at a Time

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jesus, what is wrong with you people? It went from zero to shrill in less than 10 seconds. I understand that there is a lot of criticism to be said about J Crew, but viciously attacking some woman on the internet is ridiculous. Also, it's not like J Crew stuff is awful at their sale prices. You can get a shirt for $25, which is a fine price for what it is. Not to mention they're stocking some great third party makers right now and introducing those good products in mall environments. Additionally, you're surprised you didn't watch some BBC level documentary on textiles when this is meant to be an extremely short promotional video for the casual mall shopper? And you're surprised they're patting themselves on the back for a promotional video? Are you daft? Lastly, not everything made in China is bad or in sweatshops. Enough with the simple mindedness already.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chasingred
I understand that there is a lot of criticism to be said about J Crew, but viciously attacking some woman on the internet is ridiculous. Also, it's not like J Crew stuff is awful at their sale prices. You can get a shirt for $25, which is a fine price for what it is. Not to mention they're stocking some great third party makers right now and introducing those good products in mall environments. Additionally, you're surprised you didn't watch some BBC level documentary on textiles when this is meant to be an extremely short promotional video for the casual mall shopper? And you're surprised they're patting themselves on the back for a promotional video? Are you daft? Lastly, not everything made in China is bad or in sweatshops. Enough with the simple mindedness already.
No ad hominem here. Except for those weirdo glasses.
laugh.gif
I think criticism of J Crew is warranted if they're going to brag about their amazing documentary filmmaker and call their promotional video a "film." The whole thing is really contrived. Buying shirting from Thomas Mason is not that impressive.

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jrd617
No ad hominem here. Except for those weirdo glasses.
laugh.gif
I think criticism of J Crew is warranted if they're going to brag about their amazing documentary filmmaker and call their promotional video a "film." The whole thing is really contrived. Buying shirting from Thomas Mason is not that impressive.

It is a film. It's also a motion picture, a video, and a movie. They praise the documentary maker for the same reason they praise everything else in the film - it's a promotional piece made to make people happy and buy things. I suppose it just doesn't work on cynical, pretentious assholes on teh internets. Contrived? It's no more contrived than every other promotional video out there, including the ones by high end brands who throw around buzzwords like heritage and quality - the same stuff you guys eat up like pigs at a trough. Thomas Mason shirting, btw, is fantastic, and it's great that a mall brand is stocking it next to $25 cheap shirting. Saying TM fabric is not that impressive is ridiculous. What shirting is then? Gold? Seriously guys, you're just being unreasonably shrill.

bananananana

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I didn't have a problem w/ that video and the contents. Mainly just the utter douchebaggery of the woman's glasses and the 60 yr old guy dressing in overly shrunken clothing.

JakeLA

Reaction score
Having gone through this thread, I was thinking y'all were being a bit shrill, too.

Then I watched the video.

There are very few times in my life when I've taken such an instant dislike to a person. It took all of 30 seconds to develop an intense, seething hatred of his Jenna person. I feel like I need to talk about this with a priest now.

Only in the fashion industry could someone so insufferable find employment.

I am tempted to never step foot in a J. Crew again.

GBear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is a film. It's also a motion picture, a video, and a movie. They praise the documentary maker for the same reason they praise everything else in the film - it's a promotional piece made to make people happy and buy things. I suppose it just doesn't work on cynical, pretentious assholes on teh internets. Contrived? It's no more contrived than every other promotional video out there, including the ones by high end brands who throw around buzzwords like heritage and quality - the same stuff you guys eat up like pigs at a trough. Thomas Mason shirting, btw, is fantastic, and it's great that a mall brand is stocking it next to $25 cheap shirting. Saying TM fabric is not that impressive is ridiculous. What shirting is then? Gold? Seriously guys, you're just being unreasonably shrill.
Who said Thomas Mason was terrible? I love mine from AC.
inlove.gif
It's actually pretty hard to find J Crews that actually carry Thomas Mason shirts though. You need to order them or go to their biggest flagship stores.
plain.gif
And you guys reminded me how annoying her voice is. And holy **** at her compensation...
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
wtf did I just watch? a bunch of middle-aged hipsters going 'oh cool, old traditional stuff!' and being surprised at things like quality control (you mean there's a real person there watching?), pretending to speak/understand Italian, going to buy fabric and eating dinner... give me 'put this on' anyday oh, and i think she's quite pretty. glasses look stupid though
I lol'd at that.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Thomas Mason shirting, btw, is fantastic, and it's great that a mall brand is stocking it next to $25 cheap shirting. Saying TM fabric is not that impressive is ridiculous. What shirting is then? Gold?

I didn't say it's bad. It's just not impressive to carry that. It's standard for just about any custom shirt maker. And I'd rather shell out a couple extra bucks for a custom shirt.

vncrz

Reaction score
Jesus, what is wrong with you people? It went from zero to shrill in less than 10 seconds.

I understand that there is a lot of criticism to be said about J Crew, but viciously attacking some woman on the internet is ridiculous. Also, it's not like J Crew stuff is awful at their sale prices. You can get a shirt for $25, which is a fine price for what it is. Not to mention they're stocking some great third party makers right now and introducing those good products in mall environments.

Additionally, you're surprised you didn't watch some BBC level documentary on textiles when this is meant to be an extremely short promotional video for the casual mall shopper? And you're surprised they're patting themselves on the back for a promotional video? Are you daft?

Lastly, not everything made in China is bad or in sweatshops. Enough with the simple mindedness already.

fing02[1].gif

For a mall brand with a decidedly non-SF MC client base, they offer some nice stuff and have done a decent job introducing heritage brands to the masses (ie Alden), although I'm sure some resent that as it diminishes their sartorial snob appeal. FWIW, my J Crew Ludlow suit has held up pretty well, and is a pretty decent starter suit at the sale price I snagged it for (not sure I'd be worth it at full retail though).

Hans Cater

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jrd617
They're really patting themselves on the back for this "film" from "award-winning documentarian Douglas Keeve." What a crock of bullshit. That wasn't educational at all.

Well I guess to them it is very informative. what a joke, they are making about is an information and what is publicity.

GBear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vncrz
fing02[1].gif

For a mall brand with a decidedly non-SF MC client base, they offer some nice stuff and have done a decent job introducing heritage brands to the masses (ie Alden), although I'm sure some resent that as it diminishes their sartorial snob appeal. FWIW, my J Crew Ludlow suit has held up pretty well, and is a pretty decent starter suit at the sale price I snagged it for (not sure I'd be worth it at full retail though).

I think people were bashing her more so than J. Crew as a whole. J. Crew also carries SAB.

DC101

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gotlighters
what would you recommend for a good suit at their price point? I wanted to jump on the chino suit myself... about 350 doesn't sound that bad.

agreed looking for a nice inexpensvie cotton suit for casual dressing at the office. the cotton pique looks a little nicer and softer. opinions? suggestions? thanks

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
just watched...waste of 4 minutes...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads