• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How does Bruno Magli / Salvatore Ferragamo Sizing compare to AE?

Drez

Reaction score
So you people have me somewhat addicted to nice shoes. I used to wear cheap fashion forward dress shoes, like Aldo, use them till they were tired then toss and replace. Cheap as they were (both in terms of construction and cost) I knew they fit me well or certainly would after a brief break in and as a result never gave sizing much of a thought.

Fast forward to now where I own several pairs of Allen Edmonds and am trying to get a taste of some other brands. With these shoes I’ve run into some sizing issues. It seems that things are a little more scattered and where online shoe shopping used to be easy for me, I’m running into issues which is strange as I consider myself a pretty true US 11 D / Euro 44 leaning a little towards wide in the toe box.

Recently I picked up a lovely pair of Prada single monk straps which I love, and was crestfallen to discover are apparently UK sized (or at least it’s understood that what passes for a Prada 11 is closer to a US 12). Long story short, I’ve had ok luck with AE, a little less luck with AE budget line, poor luck on the Prada pair and had a near miss on one or two others. I don’t want to be pigeon holed with only one brand and at the same time I don’t want to repeat the same issue.

Before someone suggests a forum search, I have does some forum browsing and run into conflicting reports. It sounds like Bruno might run ½ larger than AE but I also hear it runs ½ larger than Ferragamo which I read is similar to Prada and runs a full size larger than AE and so I became totally confused.

Since AE seems to be a forum favorite and a good bench mark, how does a Bruno Magli 11 compare to an AE 11 (knowing AE 11D seems to be a good fit and Prada 11D seems about full size large).

Thanks for your guidance!

Bentley

Reaction score
I take a size 10 in AE. I just ordered a pair of size 10 (US) Ferragamo shoes from ebay so I'll let you know how they fit when they arive. I'm a bit nervous now that I've read that they tend to run a size larger than the AE...guess I'll find out for myself in a couple of weeks.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have found Ferragamo pretty similar to the fit on the 7 last for AE. Honestly, though, unless you're really keen on the styling/getting a great deal, I'd go in a different direction. I could never justify retail for Ferragamo as you're paying a massive premium for brand cachet for a product where the price to quality ratio is pretty skewed.

That said, if it's a completely unique style that is otherwise unable to be replicated, by all means go for it, but if it's a classic shoe, you have other similarly priced options.

Drez

Reaction score
I take a size 10 in AE. I just ordered a pair of size 10 (US) Ferragamo shoes from ebay so I'll let you know how they fit when they arive. I'm a bit nervous now that I've read that they tend to run a size larger than the AE...guess I'll find out for myself in a couple of weeks.

Yikes. Love the excitement of waiting for a new arrival. Sorry if I caused you any anxiety. Look forward to hearing back.

Have found Ferragamo pretty similar to the fit on the 7 last for AE. Honestly, though, unless you're really keen on the styling/getting a great deal, I'd go in a different direction. I could never justify retail for Ferragamo as you're paying a massive premium for brand cachet for a product where the price to quality ratio is pretty skewed.

That said, if it's a completely unique style that is otherwise unable to be replicated, by all means go for it, but if it's a classic shoe, you have other similarly priced options.
Bentley will be happy to hear that.

I admit fondness for the Ferragamo loafers with horse bit or Gancini hardware but would take your advice and shy away from their oxfords or less characteristic shoes for the reasons you mention. I know with as big a brand as Ferragamo your inevitably paying in part for the brand and its advertising minimally on un-discounted retail purchases but was under the impression the quality was still there and that it was a good value as long as your acquiring at a similar price point as AE/Alden.

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear a 8.5 D in most AE shoes (except 5-lasted balmorals, where I wear 9D, inexplicably). I have two pairs of Bruno Magli shoes (loafers, made somewhere of ill-repute, and lace-up bluchers, made in Italy) and I went with 8.5 D for both they fit great. Neither Magli pair I own has anywhere near the same level of durability as my AE shoes, though.

aDrummingDude

Reaction score
Yikes. Love the excitement of waiting for a new arrival. Sorry if I caused you any anxiety. Look forward to hearing back.

Bentley will be happy to hear that.

I admit fondness for the Ferragamo loafers with horse bit or Gancini hardware but would take your advice and shy away from their oxfords or less characteristic shoes for the reasons you mention. I know with as big a brand as Ferragamo your inevitably paying in part for the brand and its advertising minimally on un-discounted retail purchases but was under the impression the quality was still there and that it was a good value as long as your acquiring at a similar price point as AE/Alden.

^^This

I currently own 3 pairs of Ferragamo, and got a good deal on all three. I would never pay full boat for them, but at discount they are certainly worth owning. Especially with their highest rung "Tramezza" construction, they are among the finest shoes you can buy, period. Guys around here just love to hate anything even remotely fashion forward, and so Ferragamo gets a bad rap.

Ferragamo has 3 tiers of shoe.

At the bottom are the glue-jobs. On the bottom of the sole it will simply say Salvatore Ferragamo, or Salvatore Ferragamo Made in Italy...glue job. Loafers are okay at this level, as the leather is still a couple notches above most other competitors' glue jobs, but you'd have to be on that same glue to pay anything near the $500 full retail price. I'd also stay away from the glue-job oxfords. Its hard to make a definitive call on sizing since there are so many different models in this series, but my loafers are long and narrow compared to my true size.

Next up is the Lavorazione Originale line. You can identify this line by Lavorazione Originale stamped on the bottom of the sole. These are solid shoes with solid construction (I believe they are blake constructed). I have a pair of burgundy longwings and find them to be quite lovely. This line in my experience runs true to size, but slightly narrow.

Top rung is Tramezza, also identified by "Tramezza" the bottom of the sole. You would be amazed at how well mine (black single monks) have held up with regular use over the three or so years I've owned them. Full retail is pushing a grand, but you can sometimes find them around the $500 price point, and they're a great buy at that price. Mine are true to size. Here is a copy from an article about Tramezza Construction:

The tramezza is the defining feature of the shoe. It's a thick yet flexible layer of leather sandwiched between the insole and the sole.
The upper is anchored to the insole by internal stitching through the welt, a long strip of leather. At this point, the tramezza is inserted and with a second stitching, known as "quick stitching", the welt is attached to the sole: a construction system with three layers of leather totalling 12 millimetres. The leather sole is hand shaped and finished by expert craftsmen, its perimeter having been determined on the last.
The construction also involves the use of two supports: one is inside the tramezza and made of steel - the "shank" patented by Salvatore Ferragamo in the Twenties - to support and stabilize the shoe under the arch of the foot, and the other, made of beech, is placed under the tramezza to further increase stability and help shape the sole at the point on which the bulk of the body's weight is centred.

Last edited:

Bentley

Reaction score

So...My Ferragamos arrived in the mail and I wore them for the first time today. I love the shoes but in my opinion they run at least a half size larger than their AE counterparts. I will wear a thick pair of socks with them from now on and they should be fine...However, if I had it to do over again I'd order a 9.5 instead of a 10.

My 2 cents.

Drez

Reaction score
Thanks for the update, I appreciate it! Glad you're enjoying them, if a little big. I'll definitely keep that in mind.

Any opinions on Bruno Magli fit?

PS thanks adrummingdude for the info, very helpful as several of the big labels do have quite a bit of variability among product levels and the uninformed consumer risks viewing them as equals.

JjasonL

Reaction score
So...My Ferragamos arrived in the mail and I wore them for the first time today. I love the shoes but in my opinion they run at least a half size larger than their AE counterparts. I will wear a thick pair of socks with them from now on and they should be fine...However, if I had it to do over again I'd order a 9.5 instead of a 10.

My 2 cents.

if they are used shoes off of ebay, they could be stretched possibly. so sizing could be the same as the AE.

trilly

Reaction score
Is there a strong view on how Magli and Ferragamo sizing compares? I normally wear an 8 in Maglis, but see a great pair of Ferragamos in an 8.5 that I'd like to get, if they would fit. Thanks in advance!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads