• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How did you develop your taste for shoes?

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Describe your journey in shoes, if you may.

I joined this forum when I was a teenager but had always been interested in dressing well. Since I had no idea how to dress, I just kind of went by rules and forum favorites, with no real individuality.

I also always thought I was going to end up in a job where I would be wearing menswear/tailoring all the time, but my career ended up where my wardrobe is very casual.

As a teenager/college student bought things like black captoes, AE Walnut Strands, suede Chukka Boots, etc., etc.,

I had a thing for boots just because people on the forum talked about these so much, but the sheer weight, impracticality, difficultness to put on and off just ultimately led to me having boots that i don't really have the opportunity to wear (although yes I did get a chance to wear more when I lived in the East Coast)

Ultimately of all the shoes I ever bought, I found loafers to be the big thing for me, and if I could do it all over I wish I spent it all on different kinds of loafers. They hit that line of casual and smart, and different varieties of loafers can hold up to different occasions. I have a pair of black calf tassel loafers that are more than formal enough for me (I literally don't see myself being in a situation where I must be wearing black captoes), and then I have some chunkier Rancourt penny loafers that are my beaters.

I really don't see myself ever buying any oxfords or derbies just because they don't really have a place in my wardrobe, and don't see myself buying anymore boots unless I move to a cold-weather area.

in summary wish I had more loafers.

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For me it was the first time I tried loafers deep fried with a tangy honey mustard sauce. Then I branched out into grilled and sauteed oxfords, before finally settling on poached monks with fresh rosemary and butter. Mmm good.

Actually it was here. Read up on Santonis and Marteganis, bought some on eBay, and now I have 25 pairs of shoes. This place has ruined me.

DapperPhilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just ordered these Di
fullsizeoutput_988.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_98a.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_98c.jpeg
Bianco's

Last edited:

Ladislav

Reaction score
as far as my memory can reach, I was dragged to the “dark side of ever sucking money fine shoes industry” once I stumbled at some Polish classic men’s wear blog.Then I bought my few pairs of Blake stitched shoes, which are in the meantime not part of my collection, but had been thankfully altered by some more refined ones. I frankly admire loafers at most.

DG123

Reaction score
At a young age I started working in the shoe industry, including wholesale distribution, manufacturing, and retail.

jdgershbein

Reaction score
Truthfully, my knowledge and appreciation of men's shoes took root in online forums like this one. My shoe journey (yes, it has been a journey -- one step at a time, if you'll pardon the expression) has taken me from Magnanni to AE to Alden and into the world of bespoke footwear (from vendors I can afford).

You keep sharing. I'll keep learning.

Last edited:

manasdirge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
almost the same for me as the OP, my boot journey ended after 2 pairs when I realized all the lacing/hooking was not for me, then the hunt for loafers begun.

It was more of trial & error for loafers but when you get the right fit, there's no beating it. Step in and go, save all the hassles with laces.

(Copped another pair of LHS today :cool: and hope that AE would somehow revive the Patriots)

SFO2LHR

Reaction score
I'm now back in the UK where the city of Northampton is the home of the country's fine shoe & boot makers. It's only in the last five years or so (I'm close to 60) that I've given any real thought to shoes - previously an annual trip to Nordstrom and thinking $200 was kinda extravagant.

Since then, and as I've become more focused on buying fewer but nicer & more durable things I've focused on the UK brands Thomas Cheaney, Crockett & Jones, Churches and Barkers. Have a pretty decent mix of Derby, Oxford, Loafer & Wingtips (brogues over here). No Monks yet & I'm not sure I can carry-off a Chelsea boot.

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
I live in a costal, ex-British colonial city in China - Hong Kong - which happens to be free from import tax on mostly everything.

When I graduated from Med school, I was wearing cemented Clarks and was contemplating an “upgrade” to (also cemented) Ecco for “comfort” at the hospital. A friend I knew from my shirt tailor (how I got into shirts would be another story) told me “you need to wear better shoes, come, I will show you”. He was talking about Crockett & Jones at HKD 4,500 (~GBP 450), which was 4 times the price of my then contemplated “upgrade”.

I was ambivalent and (casually) brought up the topic with my best friend at university, who happened to have done his undergraduate at UC Berkeley and double-majored in SF (we used to joke about the A Matuozzo shirt journey of The American Gent turning into a philosophical debate), pulled a serious face and said, “you have to spend half, if not most, of you menswear budget on shoes”.

Upon his advice of wisdom I followed that first friend I knew from shirt tailor and got my first pair of Goodyear welted shoes. CJ “Edgware” in dark brown, on the evergreen 348 last.

“10% off your order,” he said, “I am VIP with the store.” And the rest was history.

Living in a tax-free port, sitting between the “world’s factory” and the greater shoe world, every webshop clearance (e.g. Skoaktiebolaget, Yeossal, Brogue.ch), domestic / overseas launch (e.g. TGC / Oct Tenth, TLB Artista, CNES), local shop discount (e.g. Tassels, Corthay, John Lobb) or even random Instagram / SF browsing (e.g. Antonio Meccariello, Septieme Largeur, Altan Bottier) became an opportunity for my friends and I to grow our collections.

As of now, the number of pairs purchased is greater, and is growing faster, than my age in years.

May we all grow old with our loved ones, including our shoes. ?

SonnyUte

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found a pair of Allen Edmonds Strands at a Nordstrom Rack here in the US (yes, in the ubiquitous walnut color, please don’t judge, lol!). One pair in my size: a returned pair, most likely.
They fit so well, wore comfortably despite a full day on my feet in a healthcare setting, and looked nearly new with occasional conditioning and polishing. I was sold.
I had never heard of Allen Edmonds or Goodyear welted shoes, but I soon discovered shell cordovan, AE trunk shows, Carmina, C&J, Grant Stone, Alden, and vintage Florsheim, mostly due to the knowledge and enthusiasm (some might say enabling) of the good folks here on SF.
Good shoes are now an ingrained part of my life, for better or worse.

Pedro Moreira

Reaction score
As some already answered before me, SF helped me a lot refining my taste. I started with Loake shoes bought on eBay killer deals and grew my way up, always choosing orrery much English made shoes (I live in a very rainy city in Portugal (Porto)). Also websites/blogs such a Parisian Gentleman and others helped me a lot refining my taste, meaning discovering some brands. I don’t always see eye to eye with the SF consensus about some brands (like church’s which a became a huge fan, despite owning EG’s, JL’s, C&J’s shoes) or that SF “discovered” some brands that I already knew like Carlos Santos, revered more recently on SF, SF it’s still the best place to discuss about male fashion, shoes included.

A note: although all the attention and importance (and rightly so) given to shoes, it is amazing how overlooked is the world of socks in SF. As important as the shoes, the socks play a very important role on our feet comfort IMHO. And it’s barely discussed.
For me, and just as a teaser, my favorite sock brand is William Abraham. Once you tried, you’re hooked. At least I am.

Smlaz

Reaction score
A thread after my own heart, um, feet. I have veeery wide feet: shoes and I have a love/hate relationship. Often spending money on the "Maybe this one will fit" and often returning shoes that don't. My bestest pair were Alden NSTs, which I gave away years ago. I regret that decision. Now that I am paying for a mortgage, a private-school child, and a life in the burbs it's hard to justify the expense of those NSTs nowadays. As to "How did I develop my good taste in shoes?", my mother was very stylish and had great taste. And, due to my own shoe-fit troubles from a young age, I learned that good shoes fit better and last a lot longer than not-so-good. So. I typically wear Samuel Hubbards lately, they fit ok and are a decent compromise for my toes...
Cheers,

Northants bloke

Reaction score
Northampton born. Many relatives worked in the industry mid century. By the time I left school in the 1980's it was already in decline. I carried on buying Docs until they went abroad. With the internet I rediscovered the surviving factory shops around 6 years ago. It has been a real eye opener and I now have a ridiculous range of Cheaney boots and shoes, a few Loake boots and a pair of solovair mostly bought at a discount and all within 20 miles.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads