• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How can I look more mature in a suit

Jonas Ethan

Reaction score
I'm turning 18 in a few months, which means I will be legally an adult man in my country, so I decided to start dressing like one. I hate being a teenager and I've always been excited about manhood and how grown-up men can dress nice. I never felt confortable in jeans, t-shirts, flannels and other clothes that teenagers are always wearing, I always wanted to be dressed in my dad's suits and ties since I was 12. Now that I have a job and my own money I want to change my style to look more like a grown-up man and I need some advice.

I love suits, especially the double breasted ones, and I always wanted to be the type of guy who wears suits even at home (I know I'll be overdressed like everytime), but I fear that I'm going to look a child in a costume. What can I do to look more mature and less out of place? I'm thinking about changing my hairstyle and growing my beard, but I don't know what else I can do.

Last edited:

Adam Federico

Reaction score
Same here.
I'm also a teenager who loves suits and feels out of place while wearing one. I started wearing them last year and it was kind of weird for everyone around me when I suddenly started wearing my dad's old suits and left my hoodies and t-shirts behind. But then I realized that I was looking like a weird kid in classroom so I decided to change my style. I stopped using backpacks and got a handbag, change my haircut, got some pocket squares and growed some beard and it really worked. Now I can't wait to become a man and get more suits, and wear them without feeling out of place.

mintchox

Reaction score
Here are a couple of suggestions:

(1) Consider your purpose and audience. While I appreciate you're eager to dress "up", how others around you dress and the formality of the situation are important factors.

(2) Question 1 and your personal style will affect whether you wear a suit, something in between, or another outfit. Don't assume that the suit is the only way to go. Even with a suit, there are many nuances. Fabric type, colour cut, shirting, accessories etc. all matter. As a general principle, start simple (e.g. 2 button single breast, blue / white shirt, don't over-accessorise). Build a personal style. This will take experience.

(3) Don't wear a suit at home. Be comfortable in your own body and whatever you're wearing!

caschta

Reaction score
Why start with a full suit? Of course that's gonna irritate your peers, especially if you're around 18 years old. Maybe start with some nicer button downs and slowly evolve. Or just wear a double breasted suit and don't give a damn that you are looking comically out of place.

Jonas Ethan

Reaction score
Same here.
I'm also a teenager who loves suits and feels out of place while wearing one. I started wearing them last year and it was kind of weird for everyone around me when I suddenly started wearing my dad's old suits and left my hoodies and t-shirts behind. But then I realized that I was looking like a weird kid in classroom so I decided to change my style. I stopped using backpacks and got a handbag, change my haircut, got some pocket squares and growed some beard and it really worked. Now I can't wait to become a man and get more suits, and wear them without feeling out of place.

You wear suits in school? Interesting. What did the people around you think about it? I always wanted to wear better clothes in school but I thought it would be embarrassing.

Jonas Ethan

Reaction score
Why start with a full suit? Of course that's gonna irritate your peers, especially if you're around 18 years old. Maybe start with some nicer button downs and slowly evolve. Or just wear a double breasted suit and don't give a damn that you are looking comically out of place.

I wanna start with a full suit because I can't see myself wearing other things. I don't want to wear a double breasted suit everywhere I go, specially when it's not a good occasion, I want to try different styles and combinations.

Adam Federico

Reaction score
You wear suits in school? Interesting. What did the people around you think about it? I always wanted to wear better clothes in school but I thought it would be embarrassing.

It was kind of shocking even for me. My father used to wear suits for his job, but when he found another one he left all of his dress clothes behind. One day I decided to start dressing up in them. When I showed up wearing a suit in school, at first everyone was surprised but they "got used to it" a few days later. The only person who actually cared about it was my mother, because of the money spent in my old clothes.

Jonas Ethan

Reaction score
It was kind of shocking even for me. My father used to wear suits for his job, but when he found another one he left all of his dress clothes behind. One day I decided to start dressing up in them. When I showed up wearing a suit in school, at first everyone was surprised but they "got used to it" a few days later. The only person who actually cared about it was my mother, because of the money spent in my old clothes.

I wish I could've done this during high school, but the teachers probably wouldn't let me get to class dressed like this. I'm glad I'm not the only teenager who enjoys dressing up

Jonas Ethan

Reaction score
Here are a couple of suggestions:

(1) Consider your purpose and audience. While I appreciate you're eager to dress "up", how others around you dress and the formality of the situation are important factors.

(2) Question 1 and your personal style will affect whether you wear a suit, something in between, or another outfit. Don't assume that the suit is the only way to go. Even with a suit, there are many nuances. Fabric type, colour cut, shirting, accessories etc. all matter. As a general principle, start simple (e.g. 2 button single breast, blue / white shirt, don't over-accessorise). Build a personal style. This will take experience.

(3) Don't wear a suit at home. Be comfortable in your own body and whatever you're wearing!

Thank you for the advices
I'm still not sure about what kind of suit makes me feel more confortable, so I want to try all the possibilities I can until I find my style (maybe I'll end up hating suits or just wearing one only when I actually need).

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WalteEfird