• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How can I gather intel on a small private company?

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Star
In your spare time I would also suggest you flick through Michael Porters classic Competitive Strategy: Techniques for Analyzing Industries and Competitors (Look it up on Amazon.)

He walks you through how you go about doing an Industry and Competitor Analysis and has checklists. The latter is in principle pretty much what you are doing by trying to find stuff out about your target company eventhough you have a different purpose.

I'm so sick of hearing that guy's name. Seriously.

Grenadier

Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
At work I'm trying to find ways to gather intel on a few small private companies which may be potential clients. This is all very new to me, and other than Google, I'm a bit clueless in this regard. I'm guessing there are other business people who face this challenge on a regular basis here. Any suggestions on where to start?

Litigation and the discovery process.

Star

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Milhouse
I'm so sick of hearing that guy's name. Seriously.

Do you have the issue with

1) The Author himself?
2) His books and the content of his ideas and framework?
3) or the mindless followers who swear blind by him?

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you have the issue with

1) The Author himself?
2) His books and the content of his ideas and framework?
3) or the mindless followers who swear blind by him?

Primarily 3

It amazes me how simple minded so many people are that they spout various crap like it is religion.

Oh oh oh Porter's five forces!!! Oh oh oh value chain!!!!

Of course, his writing really grates on me now because it is so repetitive. I've had one of his books sitting here for a year or so now, and I can't bring myself to read it (Redefining Healthcare). I read the introduction and I'm pretty sure I have the whole concept now.

That is part of the reason why I think Goldratt is hilarious. He writes like his books are for little kids, embedding the lessons in cute stories. I have a sneaking suspicion that is an inside joke for how so many people in big business truly are like small children.

Star

Reaction score
Primarily 3

It amazes me how simple minded so many people are that they spout various crap like it is religion.

Oh oh oh Porter's five forces!!! Oh oh oh value chain!!!!

Of course, his writing really grates on me now because it is so repetitive. I've had one of his books sitting here for a year or so now, and I can't bring myself to read it (Redefining Healthcare). I read the introduction and I'm pretty sure I have the whole concept now.

That is part of the reason why I think Goldratt is hilarious. He writes like his books are for little kids, embedding the lessons in cute stories. I have a sneaking suspicion that is an inside joke for how so many people in big business truly are like small children.

I will agree with you on about the mindless following but not about what he writes about. What he has done is effectively provide a framework. Like all frameworks they have their limitations and you should not take everything as law. The trick is to take the 'framework' (be it his or other) and deploy or apply it according your own conditions in a way you maximise your value. No two business situations are the same.

In the context of recomminding it as a flick read for the OP, I believe it is suitable as he has indicated himself he has not sure where to start and something like Porter 5.... can give him a starting point. He can build on his knowledge and make an assessmen t himself whether he swears by it or it is utter crap. If he paid an external company to do the research they'd pretty much do what Porter does in a nut shell because it is a common sense approach i.e What is the size of the companies industry, what is its nature, who are its competitors and etc and etc. These may seem simple concepts to you who has this book onyour shelf and I assume X years of business experience, but for novices or people who have not had the opportunity to be exposed to this sort of stuff it does serve as revelation like any other new piece of knowledge they acquire.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by azlawstudent
Litigation and the discovery process.

You're a law student?!
ffffuuuu.gif

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will agree with you on about the mindless following but not about what he writes about. What he has done is effectively provide a framework. Like all frameworks they have their limitations and you should not take everything as law. The trick is to take the 'framework' (be it his or other) and deploy or apply it according your own conditions in a way you maximise your value. No two business situations are the same.

In the context of recomminding it as a flick read for the OP, I believe it is suitable as he has indicated himself he has not sure where to start and something like Porter 5.... can give him a starting point. He can build on his knowledge and make an assessmen t himself whether he swears by it or it is utter crap. If he paid an external company to do the research they'd pretty much do what Porter does in a nut shell because it is a common sense approach i.e What is the size of the companies industry, what is its nature, who are its competitors and etc and etc. These may seem simple concepts to you who has this book onyour shelf and I assume X years of business experience, but for novices or people who have not had the opportunity to be exposed to this sort of stuff it does serve as revelation like any other new piece of knowledge they acquire.

It isn't what he writes, but rather how he writes it that makes his stuff a chore to read.

Sure, it is useful stuff, and everyone should study it at some point in their business education. But any kind of blind group think irritates me.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sure, it is useful stuff, and everyone should study it at some point in their business education. But any kind of blind group thinkirritates me.

Of course it should, but if nothing else, it serves as a handy starting point. I hadn't heard his name mentioned since business school.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 102 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads